Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Piper Cub Model Names
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:59 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

A while back, while doing research related to our museum's J3C, I kept running into mentions of a Piper Cub "Trainer". There were enough references using the term "Trainer" that I started to wonder about how Piper actually referred to models of the Cub. I forgot about the subject for some time until, as part of my project to find aerospace manufacturer logos, I ended up trying to find a good quality example of the wartime Piper logo. In the process of looking through ads I again ran into the issue, but this time I started to notice even more of a pattern in names and I was finally able to build up a list of them. In chronological order of appearance:

• Cub Coupe[1]
  • Cabin Cub[2]
  • Piper Coupe[3]
  • Piper Cub Cruiser[4]
  • Piper Cub Trainer[5]
  • Piper Super Cruiser[6]
  • Piper Patrol[7]

However, note that while some of these are technically separate models, no attempt is made to distinguish between them and only very rarely do the referenced advertisements make any mention of the official Piper designations (e.g. J3, J4, J5, PA-12). (Interestingly, one of the few times a designation is used, it is written counter to conventional wisdom with the inclusion of a hyphen as "J-3".) While this non-specificity causes the type of popular confusion that irritates me to no end, I have to wonder if this was part of Mr. Piper's marketing genius. (As an aside, it's also worth noting how consistently that the Piper advertisements appear on the same page in each issue. While this may just be a function of the way Popular Aviation/Flying structured its magazine, it may also presumably ensure a potential buyer always knew where in the magazine to look.)

More advertisements specifically state that there are "four new models"[8] and name the "Piper Cub Trainer", "Piper Three-Place Cruiser", and "Piper Coupe".[9] As evidenced by the "J3C-40" and "J3F-50" designations, these are sometimes further broken down according to engine power and engine manufacturer.[10] Yet, again, these designations are not specifically called out in the ads.

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It gets more confusing with the adoption of the "PA" series of models post war..

PA-11 Cub Special...improved J-3
PA-12 Super Cruiser...improved J-5 (three seat).
PA-14 Family Cruiser...four seat PA-12
PA-18 Super Cub
Today, they seem to be referred to by either numbers or names.

And that's not even mentioning the new "short wing" Pipers...unlike the earlier PAs, these tend to be known by their model names more than numbers...at least in my neighborhood.
PA-15 /17 Vagabond...two seat side by side.
PA-16 Clipper...four seat
PA-20 Pacer...improved PA-16 with name change prompted by PAA.
PA-22 Tri-Pacer/Caribbean/Colt tricycle version of Pacer..four seat except for Colt, a two seat tricycle trainer. Today, a lot of Tri-Pacers have been converted to taildraggers. You will see them listed in ads as a "PA-22/20".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:51 am 

Noha307 wrote:

• Cub Coupe[1]
  • Cabin Cub[2]
  • Piper Coupe[3]
  • Piper Cub Cruiser[4]
  • Piper Cub Trainer[5]
  • Piper Super Cruiser[6]
  • Piper Patrol[7]

Piper's marketing department was VERY busy advertising the companies airplanes.

The Cub Coupe was the Piper J4. Of the pre-war Pipers, it was the "upscale" model.
The Cabin Cub was the Piper J2. It's predecessor, the E2 Cub, did not come with permeant side windows, but affixable side "curtins".
The Piper Coupe was an upgraded version of the J4 with an enclosed engine cowling.
The Piper Cub Cruiser was the J5. Sort of a J3 with big hips so that 2 1930's size people could fit on the rear seat.
The Cub Trainer was the basic, no frills J3 aimed at the flight school market. (A model that you haven't mentioned is the Cub Sport. The upgraded version of the J3 with standard altimeter and airspeed, wheel pants and an optional leather covered interior.)
The Piper Super Cruiser was an upgrade to the J5. Designated the J5C, the aircraft now had a 100hp Lycoming vs. the 80hp Continental and a fully enclosed engine cowl. Post war this became the PA-12.
The Cub Patrol was a marketing attempt to sell L4A's (militarized J3's) to the Civil Air Patrol.

Cubs2jets

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:50 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I' m going to check the logs on my 1946 Piper J-3C-65. I think it was called a "Cub Classic." Also, the Piper L-14 (only fourteen built) was called the "Army Cruiser." My friend has a factory built sea cub on floats. It is a Piper PJ-3S-85. Seems like it had an odd name like "Sea Sport." or something.

Last edited by marine air on Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:09 pm 

A Cub Special would have been a PA-11 - a J3 with enclosed engine cowl, 65 to 90hp and a few aerodynamic improvements.

A factory built sea plane J3 would be a J3S. They had additional rust proofing.

C2j

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:51 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Cubs2jets wrote:
(A model that you haven't mentioned is the Cub Sport. The upgraded version of the J3 with standard altimeter and airspeed, wheel pants and an optional leather covered interior.)

Interesting, I hadn't come across any mention of that version. Thanks for bringing it up!

I did find a 1937 advertisement for a "Silver Cub", which was available as both a seaplane and a landplane. It's worth noting that the manufacturer is still given as the "Taylor Aircraft Company" even though C. G. Taylor had been forced out over a year previous.[1] One of the conclusions I've come to after my research is that Bill Piper was far more of a marketing genius than any sort of aeronautical engineer. So I'm curious whether the start of this style of marketing can traced back to when he took over.

I also have to wonder where they came up with the name "silver" and whether it had anything to do with the later silver Flitfires. My understanding is that Flitfires were silver not because they were painted that way, but because they were unpainted and unpainted dope is silver in color. I do know that prior to 1935 most Cubs were painted silver. So maybe this is the source of the "Silver" name?

Alternatively, around the same time as that ad, the U.S. Navy was commissioning a class of destroyers that became known as "goldplaters" due to their supposedly "over-lavish facilities" when compared to previous classes.[2] So, with evidence that this sentiment may have been in the popular consciousness at the time, is it possible that the name "silver" was meant to imply a simpler - and therefore less expensive - airplane design?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Checking further, my 1946 J-3C65 is called a “Cub Classic.”

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:54 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

marine air wrote:

Hmm... Maybe I should check whether Piper ever introduced a short-lived "New Cub". :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Noha307 wrote:
marine air wrote:

Hmm... Maybe I should check whether Piper ever introduced a short-lived "New Cub". :lol:

Perhaps an interim post-war name for the J-3 before it became the PA-11?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:56 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The interim post war (1945, 1946) Cub product was the J-3 Cub Classic." I have one with logs going back to the factory test flights. Post war they had metal spars whereas pre-war were of wood. Also this "Cub Classic" has the exposed cylinders. the PA-11 is almost identical but does have the enclosed cowling. My friends Cub' a factory seaplane came with a pair of 1945 EDO 1200's and a set of conventional gear complete with "wheel spats". It also left the factory with a C-85 engine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Noha307 wrote:
Cubs2jets wrote:
(A model that you haven't mentioned is the Cub Sport. The upgraded version of the J3 with standard altimeter and airspeed, wheel pants and an optional leather covered interior.)

Interesting, I hadn't come across any mention of that version. Thanks for bringing it up!

So, I happened to find an advertisement that mentions the Cub Sport today. Particularly useful is the fact that it has a set of three pictures comparing the the Sport, Trainer, and Coupe side by side.

Cubs2jets wrote:
A factory built sea plane J3 would be a J3S. They had additional rust proofing.

For what it's worth, another advertisement states that a "3-in-1" seaplane Cub was "[a]vailable in Trainer or Coupe models".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Noha307...

For clarification...when you say "Coupe" above are you referring to a J-3 variant or the J-4 which was known as the "Cub Coupe"?

I can't say I have seen a J-4 on floats...but then again, they were before my time.
The closest I've come to a J-4 is lusting after one, in nice condition but not flown, in a open hangar at the EAA field near Dayton.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

JohnB wrote:
For clarification...when you say "Coupe" above are you referring to a J-3 variant or the J-4 which was known as the "Cub Coupe"?

I'm not entirely certain - the advertisement isn't clear - but I'm pretty sure it's referring to a J4.

JohnB wrote:
I can't say I have seen a J-4 on floats...but then again, they were before my time.

Wikimedia Commons has a few pictures of J4s on floats.