Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Rare Bear
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:56 am 

The new issue of Flight Journal has a nice article on Lyle Shelton and the Rare Bear Bearcat. Also an article on George Preddy.

I found the mag at Walmart. First time I've seen FJ at Walmart in three or four years.

Post subject: Re: Rare Bear
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:17 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Will it be at Reno?

Phil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:20 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

phil65 wrote:
Will it be at Reno?

Phil

No.
And its not likely it will run at Reno under its current ownership.
But they are working to prepare it to go after the speed record that Steven Hinton set a couple years ago in "Voodoo".

pop2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks..
Last time I was there it was on static display, wasn't sure if it would be on display again.

Phil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:46 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

It was trucked to Texas several years ago, it no longer calls Reno home

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:15 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Lon Moer wrote:

Quote:
the speed record that Steven Hinton set a couple years ago in "Voodoo".

According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo_(aircraft), while Voodoo achieved an average speed that exceeded Rare Bear, this did not receive a "speed record" as to do so requires that the old record must be beaten by 1% (that is, reach 533.6 mph, which was about 2 mph less than actually achieved).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:56 pm 
KiwiZac

old iron wrote:
According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo_(aircraft), while Voodoo achieved an average speed that exceeded Rare Bear, this did not receive a "speed record" as to do so requires that the old record must be beaten by 1% (that is, reach 533.6 mph, which was about 2 mph less than actually achieved).

You're close in that Stevo didn't beat Rare Bear's record but he did set another. The full sentences from Wiki and my emphasis:
Quote:
The attempt was finally flown on 2 September 2017, with the fastest of four runs recorded as 554.69 mph (892.69 km/h) and an average speed of 531.53 mph (855.41 km/h). While this broke the C-1e record set by Will Whiteside in the Yak-3U Steadfast in 2012, due to changes in record measurement standards the Rare Bear record was not bettered as it had to be beaten by at least 1% (533.6 mph).

Lon Moer wrote:
And its not likely it will run at Reno under its current ownership.
But they are working to prepare it to go after the speed record that Steven Hinton set a couple years ago in "Voodoo".

pop2

As excited as I am that she may make another record attempt, it's sad to think of her no longer racing. Perhaps the plan is to beat Voodoo, and Lyle's 1989 record, and then go into the NASM?

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:52 am 

Zac Yates wrote:
As excited as I am that she may make another record attempt, it's sad to think of her no longer racing. Perhaps the plan is to beat Voodoo, and Lyle's 1989 record, and then go into the NASM?

NASM doesn't want another race/record Bearcat, I think this was discussed previously.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:58 am 

Out of interest, which aircraft has competed the most times at Reno? Rare Bear has to be a strong contender, Miss America another. Can't think of any others off hand that have been there throughout the 70s, 80s, 90s and in to the 2000s. Is Miss America still racing? I've lost touch with it a bit...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:58 pm 

Hooligan2 wrote:
Out of interest, which aircraft has competed the most times at Reno? Rare Bear has to be a strong contender, Miss America another. Can't think of any others off hand that have been there throughout the 70s, 80s, 90s and in to the 2000s. Is Miss America still racing? I've lost touch with it a bit...

I think the answer to this was on Facebook recently let me look back.

But yes, Miss America is one of the 14 racing this year. Came back in 2018 as the Super Unlimiteds are on an extended hibernation after 2017. 2018 and 2019 have been Miss A vs. Dreadnought for the Gold race. Hasn't worked out for Miss A yet, but this year might be the one. She's not the same ol' Miss A.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:31 pm 

Thanks GRNDP51! :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:13 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'm going for the first time since 2017. Does anybody know what the visibility is in Reno ?

Thanks,
Phil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:39 pm 

phil65 wrote:
I'm going for the first time since 2017. Does anybody know what the visibility is in Reno ?

Thanks,
Phil

It was good today and yesterday. Should be good until the winds shift on Sunday, but it looks like winds are supposed to swing favorably again the week before arrivals and qualifying. It's really a toss up right now, but if no other fires start it's looking more positive than negative. The Caldor fire line they put together ahead of the basin has been holding pretty strong I believe. They had a ton of dozers out there making fire breaks specifically that direction. Obviously that's good news because fire activity towards the basin means headed towards Stead. The less fire action on the West/Northwest end of Caldor the better. Dixie looks to be extending to the North which is also away from Stead. Lots of fingers crossed right now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:07 pm 
KiwiZac

GRNDP51 wrote:
Zac Yates wrote:
Perhaps the plan is to beat Voodoo, and Lyle's 1989 record, and then go into the NASM?

NASM doesn't want another race/record Bearcat, I think this was discussed previously.

That's a very good point.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22