Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:42 am 

I have been re-reading Stephen Coonts' Cannibal Queen, the story of his journey across the US in a Stearman, and in it he recounts the story of an F6F Hellcat that ended up in private hands:

I once knew a man who lived in the Willamette Valley. He had a farm here. I got to know him because he also had an airplane, a Grumman Hellcat. I met him at the Canadian National Airshow in Abbotsford, British Columbia, in 1974. I let him sit in the cockpit of the A-6 Intruder I had flown to the show and he let me sit in the cockpit of his Hellcat. Of course I was intensely curious about how he came to own and fly one of the premier naval fighters of World War II. So he told me the story.
It seems the president of Alaska Airlines got into trouble with his board of directors and was shown the door. The board decided to immediately rid itself of one of the president’s more flashy toys, the Hellcat, which was sitting at Boeing Field in Seattle. The farmer read about the airline’s desire to sell this plane in the newspaper one morning at breakfast. He invested in a long-distance telephone call and was told the price was $25,000 and the plane had to be off Boeing Field by five o’clock.
Like any true airplane enthusiast, our hero was a man who could make up his mind in a hurry. He stopped by the bank on the way to the airport and cleaned out his savings account. In Seattle he paid cash for the plane and presumably they gave him a ride to the hangar.
Although our hero had never flown a plane more powerful than a Cessna 172, he strapped himself into the captain’s seat of the Hellcat, successfully started the engine and aviated the fighter into the sky. He flew it home filled with emotions that can only be imagined.
Gasoline was expensive, he told me, and the Hellcat had a powerful thirst for it, so he logged his hours flying to and from airshows. When he arrived they filled the tanks for free. He flew it in flight demonstrations all weekend; then they filled up his tanks gratis when he left for home.
He never used the supercharger on that double-row radial engine, which made his flight demonstrations look a little anemic. He didn’t want to risk blowing one of those thirty-year-old jugs, he told me, because the cost of overhauling that engine would be more money than he had in the plane. He couldn’t afford it.
And he had a lot of jugs at risk. The Hellcat used an engine with two rows of nine cylinders each, a total of eighteen. That’s thirty-six spark plugs, eighteen intake valves, eighteen exhaust valves. Mechanics qualified and willing to work on these engines are an endangered species. Spare parts? Better have your own machine shop.
I always wondered whatever became of the Willamette farmer and his Hellcat, and a year or so ago I found a book that listed the owners and location of every flying warbird in the world. His name was in it.
According to the book he was killed in 1977 when the Hellcat was totally destroyed in a crash.
I have no idea why he crashed and I’m not about to look up his widow to ask. I don’t know if the weather got him or that old engine failed at the wrong time. I don’t know if he properly maintained the engine and airframe. I don’t know anything and I probably never will.
Still, flying over this valley I can see his smiling face and that beautiful airplane, and I envy him the joy it gave him. Every person should have a passion like that once in his life.

A bit of sleuthing led me to this listing for the Hellcat in question: http://www.warbirdregistry.org/f6fregis ... 08825.html
Coonts account was published in 1992, so his version of the story is 30 years old by now. I was wondering, does anyone know more about this particular accident? The Aviation Safety net listing mentions that it was a total loss of power, probably because of a misaligned fuel selector valve (https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/238978). A bit of searching on this forum brings up a few topics about this Hellcat, and it is apparently at Aerial Visuals being restored for new owner Jack Crouch. Several of these topics mention the previous owner hanging on to the wreckage for a long time, wanting to restore it himself, but that doesn't quite tie up with the story from Coonts that mentions Willard Compton being killed in the accident (the Aviation Safety net listing does not agree, according to the NTSB summary one person was seriously injured). So was Coonts' version of the story incorrect?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:53 am 

I think Steve Coonts either misremembered what the book said, or the book itself was wrong - Willard Compton certainly seems to have survived the crash!

Cannibal Queen is a favourite read of mine, the sort of trip I'd like to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:25 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

met "Bill" Compton at a Xmas party in Portland about 1993, he was crippled up, but moving. the F6F has moved on to be restored, forget where it want.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:22 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The ex Compton F6F is owned by Allied Fighters and is being restored in Idaho , same place that did their P47.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:44 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Coonts should not have been so shy about contacting Compton's "widow"! I wonder if Mr. Compton was aware of the book and his part in it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:27 pm 

To give you an idea of what it looked like, and if you're inclined to make a model, there is this.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2f/39/e2 ... ae98a8.jpg
https://www.drawdecal.com/product/132-l ... cat-racer/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:34 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Bill Compton's Hellcat on his farm...

pop2
Attachment:
civil6Hcat2.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:43 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

By the mid 1970’s it was in a standard Navy paint scheme . There were a ton of great photos on WIX FB of it including air to air shots a couple years ago .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:48 am 

Thanks for all the information! I've been trying to figure out the dates but it looks like the sale to Willard Compton must have been around 1972 sometimes. By 1974 it was in a Navy scheme (see photo on Warbird Registry) and it had its accident in 1977. Interesting to see the racer scheme too. I do wonder where the photo taken on the farm fits into that timeline? The colours look different again from both of the other schemes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:59 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Are there any photos of it's current condition?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:00 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I remember reading about the crash in "Air Classics" and "Air Progress" magazines back in the seventies. It never mentioned anyone dying, but seriously injured. It crashed on a highway and had substantial damage. It was trucked back and stored. At that time in the 1970's, no one was fabricating parts for WW II aircraft. He would have had to put an ad in Trade A Plane. The fact that it is just now being rebuilt suggests it had severe, not easy to repair damage. There would have been a few parts around at Chino for Hellcats at that time. The accident happened before Kalamazoo's and the one that went to Britain, and Bob Pond's example were built up from parts and pieces. It wasn't until the 1980's that shops started fabricating more and more items for the warbirds.
The reason why the Hellcat was a bad idea for a racer is twofold. It has the same "low numbers" airfoil shared by the Wildcat, Goose and Tigercat. The Bearcat and Albatross have a slightly sleeker , higher number airfoil. If they had put that airfoil on the Tigercat, we would have Tigercats winning at Reno.
Second, NACA and Wright Patterson designed the cowling style on the P-47, BT-12, Hellcat, etc. It has the scoops on the bottom of the elongated cowling. This was supposed to be the sleekest design for housing air cooling requirements. Chance Vought didn't get the telegram as the Corsair is twenty mph faster than the Hellcat. You notice Chance Vought and everyone else dropped that NACA pre-war cowling advice rather quickly. Beech didn't get the telegram either, LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:01 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

edit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:49 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Post accident photo here, https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums ... on/page/3/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:11 am 

There's an interesting note in the forum posts in that link:
Quote:
Jigs are made and since much time and effort has been made to made the forms and molds it was decided to makes enough for 3 Hellcats.

The photo shows a fuselage with a lot of damage and (appears to be) broken in two sections. That means a complete rebuild of the fuselage and probably the wings as well. If they took the time and effort (money) to invest in jigs and moulds, that could be an interesting boost to the Hellcat community. I don't know how many wrecks and parts are available, but perhaps we'll see more Hellcats emerging in due course.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:15 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Archer wrote:
There's an interesting note in the forum posts in that link:
Quote:
Jigs are made and since much time and effort has been made to made the forms and molds it was decided to makes enough for 3 Hellcats.

The photo shows a fuselage with a lot of damage and (appears to be) broken in two sections. That means a complete rebuild of the fuselage and probably the wings as well. If they took the time and effort (money) to invest in jigs and moulds, that could be an interesting boost to the Hellcat community. I don't know how many wrecks and parts are available, but perhaps we'll see more Hellcats emerging in due course.

Mr Compton collected a boatload of parts. One well known restorer/builder thought he could build 6 Hellcats with Mr Compton's stash...