Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:35 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

JohnB wrote:
Considering the amount of damage, and you can buy a nice older restoration Stearman for <$100k, I would think it's totaled.

Years ago I heard it cost about $100k to build a set of wings for the Stearman. Do you know if that sounds close to correct JohnB?

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:56 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

airnutz wrote:
JohnB wrote:
Considering the amount of damage, and you can buy a nice older restoration Stearman for <$100k, I would think it's totaled.

Years ago I heard it cost about $100k to build a set of wings for the Stearman. Do you know if that sounds close to correct JohnB?

Big Sky Stearman has a price list that covers various levels of completion.

You're probably looking at ~$25K to build a set (through cover and paint) yourself. The starting point would be the wood kit for $18K which includes all of the wood. You provide the metal fittings and covering.

Assembled (not covered) is about $50K. You could probably cover 'em (DIY) through paint for another $10K on top of the assembled price.

Covered through silver is about $100K.

In all cases, you have to provide usable metal fittings and components.

These prices are on their website.

https://www.bigskystearman.com/pricing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:45 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

JohnB wrote:

But totaled just means the insurance company isn't willing to pay more than X to restore it. That does NOT mean they won't sell the remains for $5000 to someone who wants a project.

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:29 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Thanks Kyleb!

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I’ve seen several videos of this incident now and this is a major head scratcher. Being a pilot myself I’m at a loss how this was approved. Not a single angle I’ve seen shows safety was a concern. This was a bad idea and it sadly it was proven. Luckily it seems no one got hurt. Tragic and preventable loss of a Stearman.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:15 pm 

question for aircraft owners/operators out there. Would insurance coverage be voided since the pilot was attemting a take off off-airport?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:24 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

menards wrote:
question for aircraft owners/operators out there. Would insurance coverage be voided since the pilot was attemting a take off off-airport?

Depends on the policy.

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

menards wrote:

Probably not. The typical underwriter questions have to do with”routinely used off-airport”. At least from what I’ve seen. And none of my policies have ever had a prohibition against off-airport use.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

But do the average aircraft policies have a prohibition of "wrecking an airplane by doing some ill-considered stunt"? :D

I feel sorry for the guy, and I've never taken off a Stearman, but on the surface, a takeoff from that location seems a bit unwise.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

JohnB wrote:
But do the average aircraft policies have a prohibition of "wrecking an airplane by doing some ill-considered stunt"? :D

I feel sorry for the guy, and I've never taken off a Stearman, but on the surface, a takeoff from that location seems a bit unwise.

There are no "stupid mistake" stipulations in most insurance policies. That's why you buy insurance - we all make stupid mistakes.

And a lot of the time we get away with them.

More experienced pilots (and drivers and....) usually get better insurance rates because it is assumed their seasoning reduces their chances of making a dumb mistake. Probably true. But age/experience doesn't eliminate the risk.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:13 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

JohnB wrote:

It's the old book numbers vs real world. It sure looks like if he'd maintained directional precision, both the excursion onto the grass, and the subsequent pole strike might have been avoided. It would seem to me that both are directionally related, and if directional precision had been tighter, the plane should've cleared the wires. Of course the Stearman's rudder isn't as effective as some, and perhaps he took a gust of wind that he and the plane just couldn't handle. That's when too much optimism about your book numbers, and your own capabilities, is a bad, bad thing. This takeoff looks to have had about 5 feet of margin for error.

The other sad thing is now all the other Stearman owners are going to get to "help" pay for this seemingly avoidable disaster via increased insurance premiums.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:41 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

RyanShort1 wrote:
Of course the Stearman's rudder isn't as effective as some, and perhaps he took a gust of wind that he and the plane just couldn't handle.
Stearman rudder is effective on takeoff and is certainly very effective in flight (does great slips!).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:03 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

bdk wrote:
RyanShort1 wrote:
Of course the Stearman's rudder isn't as effective as some, and perhaps he took a gust of wind that he and the plane just couldn't handle.
Stearman rudder is effective on takeoff and is certainly very effective in flight (does great slips!).

https://www.cafutahwing.org/uploads/1/0 ... rudder.pdf
Not ineffective totally, for sure, but the diversion to the left is classic missed control input, or lack of authority, and I'm guessing he got the tail up as soon as he could trying to keep it straight in that tight space - perhaps the airspeed was still a bit low for a crosswind gust?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:38 pm 

Kyleb wrote:
JohnB wrote:

There are no "stupid mistake" stipulations in most insurance policies. That's why you buy insurance - we all make stupid mistakes.

And a lot of the time we get away with them.

More experienced pilots (and drivers and....) usually get better insurance rates because it is assumed their seasoning reduces their chances of making a dumb mistake. Probably true. But age/experience doesn't eliminate the risk.

There are “stupid mistakes” like forgetting to put the gear down and wrecking a nice Mooney. Then there are “stupid mistakes” like this one. Taking off from a street with tight margins and no room for error. It doesn’t seem fair to me that an insurance co would have to pay for a stearman, a light pole and some traffic signals. Also the recovery towing/ops.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:07 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

menards wrote:
There are “stupid mistakes” like forgetting to put the gear down and wrecking a nice Mooney. Then there are “stupid mistakes” like this one. Taking off from a street with tight margins and no room for error. It doesn’t seem fair to me that an insurance co would have to pay for a stearman, a light pole and some traffic signals. Also the recovery towing/ops.

Think about these examples:

Let's say you're driving under the influence and have an accident. Does your auto insurance pay?

Let's say you close the garage door on your new Porsche. Does your insurance pay to have the door and the Porsche fixed?

Let's say you screw up with one of those turkey fryers and burn your house to the ground. Does your homeowner's pay?

Let's say you chop your fingers off with your tablesaw. Does your medical insurance pay?

Same thing with an airplane. Your track record is indicative of your inherent risk. Good track record in the air means you're relatively low risk and enjoy a relatively low premium. The opposite also applies. But the insurance company is gonna pay up when you prang the airplane, even if you make a dumb mistake (be it a physical mistake or a mental mistake).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next