Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:20 pm 

Last weekend I went to the NMUSAF to meet with David Austin, who worked at North American Aviation and x-rayed the welds on all three (!) Valkryies. David hadn't seen the Valkyrie in over 50 years and we had an enjoyable talk about his job and his time at NAA. Hope it's of interest here:

https://youtu.be/s8IeQJtObRc

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/donate.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:26 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Thank you for that...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:01 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Three of 'em? Do tell...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:46 pm 

In the late 70's I worked with several guys who had worked on the XB-70. They told me how hard it was working with new materials and how it was hard to solve the leaking fuel tank problems.

I did acquire this XB-70 related gem about 25 years ago.

Attachments:
xb70zippo004.jpg

xb70zippo003.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:42 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Kyleb wrote:
Three of 'em? Do tell...

Likely referring to AV-3 the third aircraft, S/N 62-0208 which was in the early phases of construction when cancelled. It was never completed. Some references indicate it would have been designated at the YB-70, and it had some refinements from the first 2 aircraft, including perhaps most noticeably canards that were angled a bit from the horizontal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:52 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

A/V-3 was also supposed to be the first with an actual bomb bay and space to install the offensive and defensive systems. The first two vehicles had test equipment bays near where the bomb bay would've been, but they were smaller in size and didn't have doors, only bolt-on panels.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:25 am 

Yes, the third XB-70 construction had begun but just barely when it was canceled. David said he did some weld inspection on it though, which was a surprise. He mentioned that the 2nd Valkyrie was far superior to the first because they had learned so much in terms of fabrication on the first that it made it much easier to build the second.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:51 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

DaveG wrote:
Yes, the third XB-70 construction had begun but just barely when it was canceled. David said he did some weld inspection on it though, which was a surprise. He mentioned that the 2nd Valkyrie was far superior to the first because they had learned so much in terms of fabrication on the first that it made it much easier to build the second.

Yeah, according to everything I've read, the 2nd one was a much better airplane. It didn't shed panels and stuff at M3, which the first one (apparently) did.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:39 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Kyleb wrote:
Yeah, according to everything I've read, the 2nd one was a much better airplane. It didn't shed panels and stuff at M3, which the first one (apparently) did.

Not only panels but paint. I just read one of those references that the times XB-70 shedded lots of paint and looked terrible after the high speed runs was traced to too much paint to make it look good for VIPS and visiting politicians. Anyone who has ever painted rocks (yes really) shined brass and painted ships and things that didn't need painting due to a VIP visit can relate.

A much thinner, better single coat was found best on the XB-70

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:25 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

sandiego89 wrote:
Not only panels but paint. I just read one of those references that the times XB-70 shedded lots of paint and looked terrible after the high speed runs was traced to too much paint to make it look good for VIPS and visiting politicians. Anyone who has ever painted rocks (yes really) shined brass and painted ships and things that didn't need painting due to a VIP visit can relate.

A much thinner, better single coat was found best on the XB-70
And on everything else. Many military airplanes have this problem from the factories. The government inspectors think that since the government is paying a lot of money for the plane it should have a heavy coat of paint and be very smooth. The engineer will always tell you that the increased paint weight offsets any gains from the smoothness. You have a half inch gap between the wing and flap and yet the inspector is concerned about artifacts smaller than the head of a pin.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:58 am 

DaveG wrote:

Somewhere, deep within all the Area 51 sites that dot the internet, I read some speculation that parts for the third XB-70 were "repurposed" into a Top Secret "Mothership" out of Area 51. The mothership was presumably used to launch other rockets or aircraft.

Always thought it was interesting, and perhaps not outside the realm of the possible. I've never seen any conclusive info on how much or how little of the third XB-70 was constructed. Also, no idea what happened to whatever was there (scrapped, stored, spirited away in the night)?

Anyway, something fun to think about.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:32 pm 

blue3992 wrote:

Somewhere, deep within all the Area 51 sites that dot the internet, I read some speculation that parts for the third XB-70 were "repurposed" into a Top Secret "Mothership" out of Area 51. The mothership was presumably used to launch other rockets or aircraft.

Always thought it was interesting, and perhaps not outside the realm of the possible. I've never seen any conclusive info on how much or how little of the third XB-70 was constructed. Also, no idea what happened to whatever was there (scrapped, stored, spirited away in the night)?

Anyway, something fun to think about.

This article mentions some sightings of XB-70-ish aircraft far away from Edwards or Area 51. Who knows...

https://www.airspacemag.com/military-av ... 29/?page=1