Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Identity of Idaho Aircraft Company Avenger "Black Bart"

Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:59 pm

Hello all -

I'm researching TBM's that were at one time owned by Idaho Aircraft Company based at Boise, Idaho. I've seen several photos of their tanker fleet, but I've learned that had one non-flyer that they referred to as "Black Bart". When I questioned where the name came from - I was told that the aircraft had been painted all black - and poorly - probably with a broom. Does anyone know the identity of this aircraft or better yet - have pictures of it? I would imagine the timeframe we'd be talking about would be from about 1963-1972 - possibly later. Any help would would be appreciated.

Re: Identity of Idaho Aircraft Company Avenger "Black Bart"

Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:48 am

Perhaps the ID is in here? https://goodall.com.au/warbirds-directo ... kers5.html

Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:55 pm

Curious as to whether this was solved.

Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:01 am

I wonder if it's this one:

Grumman TBM-3 N9584Z Bu85882 6.65-12.75 - purchased 15.6.5 ex Loening Air, Boise ID for parts, no civil conversion, retained turret, bomb bay doors,
sold 12.75 to Ralph Ponte CA for rebuild as a warbird

(courtesy Geoff Goodall's tanker pages)

Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:03 pm

For what it's wirth, there were no TBMs at Boise from 78-80.
However, I recall seeing them stored at Lewiston awaiting sale (at very low prices, <$10k, IIRC) in the early '80s.

If you are interested in TBM firefighters, Hillcrest Aviation in Lewiston was a big seller and operator in the 50-80s.
If you go to their facility, their halls are lined with old photos, ads and articles.
A must see collection for Avenger researchers.
Post a reply