Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Scale B-29

Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:44 pm

I know it's not a real warbird, but then again some of the people on the site don't think some of the restorations that have been done are real warbirds either. Anyway, does anyone have any pictures of Tom Hobgson's 35% scale B-29? I know it's getting close to ready for paint. It's an amazing effort and tribute to these old warbirds. I can't wait to see it fly even though it is a homebuilt.

Brandon

Re: Scale B-29

Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:18 pm

About 2:20 in, you can see it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVVGgswXfcQ

Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:24 pm

That's cool. I had kinda hoped Jack Bally's B-17 would inspire others to do similar projects.

Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:10 pm

First I've heard of it.
What engines?
And I guess the big question...why?

It's certainly weird...I love it!

Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:17 am

It looks awesome and let's hope it's being built to fly. I'm a proponent of full scale replicas but in this case it just isn't possible to build a full scale B-29 replica. It's extremely hard to calculate the resale value of a scaled replica, they are typically a fraction of the value of a full scale aircraft.

Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:31 am

So very cool! Would be neat to see this one and the Bally B-17 fly together. Then the big question... who's building the B-24?

Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:42 am

THAT is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time.

Tom P.

Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:14 am

I want to see a scale Spruce Goose! Wouldn't that be a hit at the Oshkosh seaplane base?

Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:33 am

What a cool project. I'd love to learn more about it. Anyone have more information on whether it will be a static display or a flyer?

Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:42 am

JohnB wrote:What engines?

Dunno, but I think 4 Verner 9S radials would look/sound cool. Would he be crazy(and rich) enough to make his own twin row radials from 8 Verners?? The cowls might have to loose some scaled look tho. Awesome project!
http://www.vernermotor.com

Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:31 pm

marine air wrote:It looks awesome and let's hope it's being built to fly. I'm a proponent of full scale replicas but in this case it just isn't possible to build a full scale B-29 replica. It's extremely hard to calculate the resale value of a scaled replica, they are typically a fraction of the value of a full scale aircraft.

With the advent of CGI, Hollywood doesn't need a small scale craft for film work...which would have given some builders some financial reward for their efforts, if not a reason/contract to build it in the first place.

Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:16 pm

It reminds me of the Short S 31, built in 1938 to act as a 50% scale flying testbed for the Stirling bomber. Made of wood, so it would make a good home-built! :)
https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/s ... aft.49725/

Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:01 am

It's being built to fly.

I believe he is using four Honda Fit motors with re-drives.

Brandon

Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:45 pm

JohnB wrote:First I've heard of it.

Ditto

JohnB wrote:And I guess the big question...why?

Because he can :lol:

JohnB wrote:It's certainly weird...I love it!

I love weird
:drink3:

Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:59 pm

I admire the guys effort and talent. It is an amazing endeavour. That being said, my dad's best friend the late Paul Poberezny (founder EAA) used to say, "Don't put experimental engines on experimental aircraft" because there are too many variables. I see that the Honda Fit car engines are 130 to 150hp. Is that at 6,000 RPM? Of course, reliability can be improved by derating the engines. I don't have the perfect engine that I'd recommend if it were mine. For my money I would go with an air cooled engine. I would go with a factory aircraft engine with a proven track record.
Can't think of any of the low horsepower 1920's and 1930's low hp engines that are super scarce and were never all that reliable. The Lamberts. Velies, Szekely's Kinner B-5's, etc. So my vote would be Jacobs, or even Continentals. Although they have issues, one factory built radial that might work would & is used on the early PZL Wilgas; the PZL / Ivchyenko AI-14RA of 260 hp. It would provide plenty of power, they are readily available and are radials. Plus, no water cooled complexities, and other nightmares of using car motors.
Post a reply