Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:01 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

In their most recent newsletter / email the Collings Foundation has stated they have two restoration projects on tap to start in 2022, an He-111 and a Mosquito.

Folks on Facebook have indicated that this is likely the He-111 https://www.key.aero/article/lady-lake- ... e-magazine

And the basis for the Mosquito is said to be the original remaining components of the FHCAM's restored example.

Anyone have any additional information on these two exciting projects?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:31 pm 

As far as I know both of these projects will be Static only. With a little bit of luck sometime in 2022 you should see the FW-190 flying along with the P-51C now known as the Stars Look Down. Work continues on the B-17, Catalina etc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:35 pm 

Ed Likes wrote:
As far as I know both of these projects will be Static only. With a little bit of luck sometime in 2022 you should see the FW-190 flying along with the P-51C now known as the Stars Look Down. Work continues on the B-17, Catalina etc.

I was just at American Aero on Wednesday, I saw signs mentioning the Fw190, but I didn't see it anywhere. Is it in one of the hangars? Or is it not in an accessible areas? There was one hangar that wasn't open, I assumed the B-24 was in there, maybe the 190 was parked in there?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:47 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Collings Fw 190F "White 1" has been under restoration at GossHawk Unlimited in Arizona over the past several years. The signs may be from when it was still in Florida with the White 1 Foundation at Kissimmee and simply relocated to American Aero.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:30 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
And the basis for the Mosquito is said to be the original remaining components of the FHCAM's restored example.

This reminds me of the SPAD VII C1 at the Shannon Air Museum in Virginia (was at the Aviation Museum in Richmand), and the same aircraft at the Canadian Aviation &Space Museum in Ottawa Canada. Both aircraft are B9913.

The story as I understand it is that the Canadian Museum "restored" the SPAD by replacing many of the original parts. These original parts were then sold and reconstituted into a complete aircraft, presumably with the addition of a lot more new parts.

So, there are two B9913 SPAD; I have not idea which you would call the "original". I assume both museums present theirs that way, when the actuality in my opinion is both should be honestly presented as "reproduction with original parts".

Sounds like the same might be true of the FHCAM and Collings Mosquito. Presumably these could be split again, and again, and eventually all of us could have an "original" Mosquito.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:29 pm 

JohnTerrell wrote:
The Collings Fw 190F "White 1" has been under restoration at GossHawk Unlimited in Arizona over the past several years. The signs may be from when it was still in Florida with the White 1 Foundation at Kissimmee and simply relocated to American Aero.

Thanks John, that would certainly explain that!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:00 pm 
KiwiZac

TAdan wrote:
In their most recent newsletter / email the Collings Foundation has stated they have two restoration projects on tap to start in 2022, an He-111 and a Mosquito.
(...)

Anyone have any additional information on these two exciting projects?

Ed Likes wrote:
As far as I know both of these projects will be Static only.

This sounds like a good outcome for the unairworthy remnants/leftovers of Mosquito TV959. It had been for sale by (I think?) Platinum but I can no longer find it on their site.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:30 pm 

old iron wrote:
The story as I understand it is that the Canadian Museum "restored" the SPAD by replacing many of the original parts. These original parts were then sold and reconstituted into a complete aircraft, presumably with the addition of a lot more new parts.

Didn't something like this also happen to a Mustang or Spitfire? A restoration to airworthy led to all the skins being replaced, and these then formed the basis for another restoration.

The Mosquitos from Avspecs all used a completely new-built fuselage and wing, so that means that there are a few sets of wings and fuselages in various conditions that could be used for static restorations. TV959 is the only project based on 'leftovers' to have ended up on the market so far.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:36 pm 
KiwiZac

I just realised: the Paul Allen CASA project could have been a real "get" for Collings, right? Fly in a "German" bomber.

old iron wrote:

I'm given to understand the SPAD that was at the CASM is considered the "real" B9913 and the US one is viewed as a replica with original parts.

Archer wrote:
Didn't something like this also happen to a Mustang or Spitfire? A restoration to airworthy led to all the skins being replaced, and these then formed the basis for another restoration.

I remember reading this about a Spitfire recently - as in the last two months - but I cannot for the life of me remember which! But there is a flyer somewhere and a static in a UK museum that could be considered the same machine.

Also regarding any situations arising with Mosquitos, from memory KA114's woodwork was pretty shot when received, and there are photos on this forum and elsewhere of PZ474/NZ2384's remains deteriorating in the open at Chino. So I'd think those two being duplicated a la TV959 is unlikely.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:02 am 

Archer wrote:

Certainly happened to Spitfire TD248 when it was restored to airworthy condition in the 90s, the fuselage skins ended up at the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum to create a static exhibit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:23 pm 

Zac Yates wrote:
Also regarding any situations arising with Mosquitos, from memory KA114's woodwork was pretty shot when received, and there are photos on this forum and elsewhere of PZ474/NZ2384's remains deteriorating in the open at Chino. So I'd think those two being duplicated a la TV959 is unlikely.

Yep, TV959 was the only one that was really a fully complete and original aircraft, when started, having been hanging up in the IWM Lambeth for many years with a wing sawn off.
There was very little remains of the original fuselage/wings in the first two Mossie's built by Avspecs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Firebird wrote:
Quote:
There was very little remains of the original fuselage/wings in the first two Mossie's built by Avspecs.

If the fuselage and wings are not original, then what else could constitute an original aircraft? I know there is a whole world of data-plate "restorations" but there are many of us who want to look at an aircraft that is actually "mostly original", especially when too often the plane is presented as such.

I very much respect the museums that document what is and is not original. The developing rule in some of the best museums is to preserve rather than replace.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:19 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

old iron wrote:
Firebird wrote:
Quote:

If the fuselage and wings are not original, then what else could constitute an original aircraft? I know there is a whole world of data-plate "restorations" but there are many of us who want to look at an aircraft that is actually "mostly original", especially when too often the plane is presented as such.

I very much respect the museums that document what is and is not original. The developing rule in some of the best museums is to preserve rather than replace.

The Mossie has several tons of 'metal' (despite being a wooden aircraft), all of that is original.

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:45 pm 
KiwiZac

Zac Yates wrote:
Archer wrote:

I remember reading this about a Spitfire recently - as in the last two months - but I cannot for the life of me remember which! But there is a flyer somewhere and a static in a UK museum that could be considered the same machine.

Yak 11 Fan wrote:
Certainly happened to Spitfire TD248 when it was restored to airworthy condition in the 90s, the fuselage skins ended up at the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum to create a static exhibit.

That's the one I was thinking of, thank you!