Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:22 pm 

I just added a page to my Tallmantz pages that has the history of the Tallmantz AT-11 (Twin Beech) used in the filming of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World in 1962.

This is, of course, the airplane that Frank Tallman flew through the billboard and the hangar at Santa Rosa.

Check it out: https://www.aerovintage.com/mad-mad-world-twin-beech/

WIX Subscriber Since July 2017

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:11 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Great sleuthing, Scott!

One correction: The vintage biplane was a Standard J-1, not a Jenny.

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:06 pm 

I should have double-checked that...thanks. Now corrected...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Scott

Great story. I have been a long time fan of your Tallmantz history, this story shows why.

Your Tallmantz section is certainly worth of expansion into a book.

Any idea about the interior configuration of the ship?
Pretty basic or civil Beech 18 style?

Just think, parts of the plane...the FWF components, probably still live on ...attached to a 450 Stearman.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:14 pm 

Pretty cool.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:09 pm 

JohnB wrote:
Any idea about the interior configuration of the ship?
Pretty basic or civil Beech 18 style?

Based on what can be seen of the interior from the ground shots at the end of the scenes, it seems like a nice executive interior, curtains and all. And, based on the history of the airplane before Tallmantz got it, that would also suggest an executive-style interior.

It would be interesting to find out what was used to film the aircraft interior shots in whatever studio was used.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

aerovin wrote:
It would be interesting to find out what was used to film the aircraft interior shots in whatever studio was used.

Looking at the YouTube still on your wrbsite, the studio mock up seems a bit narrow.
But then again, back then it would have been easy to get a junked fuselage for the studio shots.
Whatever it is, it has real Breach 18 control wheels.

I wouldn't be surprised if the mock up doesn't survive somewhere in a studio or prophouse.

Also, neat photo of it with a metal covered blunt AT-11 nose, never have seen that before. An economical way to "civilianize" the airframe.
Thanks for posting it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:35 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I believe the studio cockpit is on display in the movie section of the Tennessee Museum of Aviation.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:06 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I saw a photo of the Beech on top of a container or something in a southern CA backyard/junkyard that said it was the AT-11 from the movie. Ill try and find the reference for it.

We brought her from: Image to this in 3 months: Image Help us get her all the way back Image

All donations are tax deductible as the Stockton Field Aviation Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Tell a friend as the Harpoon needs all the help she can get.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey
Vintage Aircraft, Stockton, California
http://www.twinbeech.com
'KEEP ‘EM FLYING…FOR HISTORY!'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:21 pm 

JohnB wrote:
aerovin wrote:

Looking at the YouTube still on your wrbsite, the studio mock up seems a bit narrow.
But then again, back then it would have been easy to get a junked fuselage for the studio shots.
Whatever it is, it has real Breach 18 control wheels.

I wouldn't be surprised if the mock up doesn't survive somewhere in a studio or prophouse.

Also, neat photo of it with a metal covered blunt AT-11 nose, never have seen that before. An economical way to "civilianize" the airframe.
Thanks for posting it.

It looks like they used a Beech G18S for the interior shots. The windscreen and side windows, as well as the cabin bulkhead are all from a G model (H models are the same but hadn't come out yet).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:25 pm 

Ken wrote:
I believe the studio cockpit is on display in the movie section of the Tennessee Museum of Aviation.

Was just looking at their website. Definitely a G model.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think the Tennessee cabin have been owned by Art Scholl after its possible time at Tallmantz.
The Tennessee museum says it received its ex-Tallmantz B-25 cockpit section from Scholl, and that led me to remember an old magazine story that mentioned he had a collection of sectioned fuselages for film work.
The museum doesn't give a history for its piece, but a photo seems to show a utility interior. If course it could have been modified long after its Mad World days.

The timeframe makes sense, as Scholl was an up and coming film pilot when the Tallmantz assets were sold off in the late70s-early 80s.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:31 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Museum also believes the cockpit was used in episodes of the "A Team" tv series, among others. With two flying P-47's, Skyraider, many statics, and an extremely well done exhibit area, I think the TMoA is worth the trip for any WIXer.

Ken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:16 am 

There was some Tallmantz memorabilia on display at the Wheeling-Ohio County Airport terminal (Its like a museum) a number of years ago. It belonged to the manager, Tom Tominack. He has long since retired, but I don't know if any of that is still there since. Tom is a great guy and was always a great friend to BAHF.

C-54D "Spirit of Freedom" 43-17228
C-97 "Angel of Deliverance" 52-2718 (painted as YC-97A 45-59595)
C-54E/R5D-4 "Spirit of Freedom" 44-9144 BuNo 90414 (wfu April/2020)
http://www.spiritoffreedom.org