Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:44 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I am always on the lookout for new exhibit ideas and figured I would share a few of my favorites that I've come across:

What are the most creative, informative, or otherwise exemplary displays you've seen?

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:59 pm 

PBY Cutaway in Pensacola recently covered in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=73092&p=644117&hilit=PBY+display#p644117

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:15 am 

The remains of Lancaster NN775 spread out over a silhouette on the floor at War Museum Overloon, The Netherlands.
The first photo on the page I linked to provides the best impression.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In the "How does an airplane fly" category, the entrance of Duxford's Imperial War Museum's Air and Space hangar has several hands on interactive exhibits. Even if you know it already, they are fun to play with.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:55 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Never been there, but always thought the Aircraft Carrier like wing of the UK Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton, was always a neat idea, with deck markings, lighting, the ski ramp and wall adorned to look like the island of an aircraft carrier. The Navy room at the main Mall Smithsonian museum did a similar thing on a smaller scale with fake pipes, etc giving it a ship like feel.

The walk through B-29 at the USAF "command Decision" is very neat, with a Plexiglas tunnel allowing you to walk through the fuselage.

Can't recall which museum that had a S-2F that they let kids climb all around in a purposeful "please touch" display. What a great way to let kids touch and feel and smell, and hardly rare, so no big deal that it got wear and tear. Wish more museums would have sacrificial hands on aircraft, and give them one to explore.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:13 am 

In addition to what's been named already-

The SAC Museum in Nebraska has a B-25 with the left wing removed and much of the skin removed from that side as well, along with a walk way along side the bomber so you can see virtually the entire interior.

I also loved when POF had their Betty displayed as a jungle crash scene. Then Paul Allen purchased it and its no longer there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:46 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I was very impressed with dynamic nature of the (relatively) new PBY exhibit at the Pima Air and Space Museum. It is difficult to see in the pic but the aircrew is included, fully attired in proper dress.

Attachments:
m_DSCN2993.jpg
m_DSCN2993.jpg [ 69.53 KiB | Viewed 5988 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:32 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Our Aviation Heritage Centre here at Omaka has some cool displays. The WWI hangar was done by Peter Jackson's Weta Workshop, the WWII hangar by our local volunteers.

Imagewinterscene2 by davemcdonald5150, on Flickr

ImageCombat Casualty by davemcdonald5150, on Flickr

Image20190910_140342 copy by davemcdonald5150, on Flickr

ImageHurri copy by davemcdonald5150, on Flickr

The flames on the cowl flicker which obviously can't be replicated in a still photo :wink:

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:42 am 

Kermit's Act II had some good exhibits. It's been many years, but I believe you entered the museum into a WWII battle scene culminating in his wrecked B-17. I remember crawling through the Sunderland to exit into one of the hangars. And isn't there a smaller scale flight deck with Corsairs? Too bad all that is memory. Maybe Act III will have some good exhibits.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:26 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Always enjoyed the cut-away Sabre at the US Air Force Museum, as well as the Lake Michigan underwater dioramas at the US Naval Aviation Museum.

On a non-aviation note, the Franklin Institute in Philly has a heart large enough to crawl through, a 67' Foucault Pendulum that moves due to the rotation of the Earth, and 1000 other super cool exhibits.

Ken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:10 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

maradamx3 wrote:
Kermit's Act II had some good exhibits. It's been many years, but I believe you entered the museum into a WWII battle scene culminating in his wrecked B-17. I remember crawling through the Sunderland to exit into one of the hangars. And isn't there a smaller scale flight deck with Corsairs? Too bad all that is memory. Maybe Act III will have some good exhibits.

Do people really still believe that the (yet to be defined) Act III is actually going to happen?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mike wrote:
maradamx3 wrote:

Do people really still believe that the (yet to be defined) Act III is actually going to happen?

I watch alot of Kermit's videos and in them he's peppered in a good amount of proposed layouts / drawings (they might be confirmed by now) for the rest of Act III, showcasing the planes in respective period hangars for their era, a ton of interactive exhibits, etc. So yeah, I believe it is his dream and will see it through.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:31 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The National Museum of the USMC in Triangle, VA has a very impressive Vietnam exhibit.
You enter it through the back of a CH-46 and walk down the ramp to the middle of a firebase.

Not directly aviation related, but the Korean War Chosin exhibit has the A/C cranked that drops the temp in that room considerably.

https://www.usmcmuseum.com/koreanwar.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:04 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

DaveM2 wrote:
ImageHurri copy by davemcdonald5150, on Flickr

The flames on the cowl flicker which obviously can't be replicated in a still photo :wink:

You reminded me that the Japan Aeronautic Association did something similar, where they replicated the roundels on their Ki-61 with red spotlights.

Warbirdnerd wrote:
The National Museum of the USMC in Triangle, VA has a very impressive Vietnam exhibit.
You enter it through the back of a CH-46 and walk down the ramp to the middle of a firebase.

I actually remember an article I read about the creation of that exhibit. The front half of BuNo 153986 ended up going to HMX-1 as a training aid.

Warbirdnerd wrote:
Not directly aviation related, but the Korean War Chosin exhibit has the A/C cranked that drops the temp in that room considerably.

That's a "cool" idea!
Okay, I'll see myself out...

Keep 'em coming! This is really interesting!

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:23 am 

Patriot's Point Vietnam Experience Exhibit is a cool, immersive set up. The sound effects, hooches, helos, etc all combine to transport you back in time.