Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Whilst reading the local news gossip in my area in Central California, I noticed something unknown and interesting (to me anyway).

20 miles away from my ranch if the developments are true. Just what we need in this area, more noise pollution. This time from those pesky warbirds. Lol

https://www.noozhawk.com/article/centra ... _snowbirds

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:15 pm 

Wow! That's some pretty big "gossip". Makes a lot of sense. And it sure beats Gilroy.

Glad to see the Santa Maria airshow is back, too. Just added it to my calendar.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:09 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I guess that ends the "rumor" part ........
pop2

Quote:
While the lease between the airport district and Planes of Fame was finalized last year, the deal has remained low-key as museum leaders have conducted additional due diligence.

“We're committed to make it work, and an announcement will be coming soon,” said Steve Hinton, Planes of Fame president.

The land lease for the museum's hangar covers an area near the Santa Maria Radisson.

Attachment:
ScreenShot_20220515090514.jpeg
ScreenShot_20220515090514.jpeg [ 101.76 KiB | Viewed 3121 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:08 pm 

Yep, the cat is now indeed out of the bag!

FYI, Steve Sr. actually let the cat out of the bag back in February of this year in a public interview that can be found on-line. I'm surprised that none of the forum super-sleuthers picked up on it and posted it here.

This move will be super, super, expensive - probably the most expensive endeavor in the history of the Museum. They need a lot of money to facilitate this move. If any of you have any rich millionaire friends, please direct them to Planes of Fame for donations. Remember, Planes of Fame is a non-profit and it can be a huge tax write-off. They will need all the financial assistance they can get!

I wish them all the luck and a smooth, easy transition to Santa Maria.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:37 pm 

What is the most significant aspect forcing the PoF move - is it solely the housing development around Chino making it politically too antagonistic towards the airport, airshows, noise, etc.?

Does the Santa Maria airport have enough buffer area between it and all the nearby development that there's no similar contention there?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, I had heard about this potential move a few months ago, but didn’t think it was going to be a reality. I also heard about the FHC potentially being sold off and didn’t think that would happen either. Two strikes on me.

My donations to POF could get a few planes gassed and flown to SM from Chino perhaps.

As for current and future developments in and around Santa Maria? The answer is yes right now and growing. Sadly I’m one of the guilty culprits.

I wish the Museum all the best of luck with the move.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 7:01 pm 

hardlanding wrote:
What is the most significant aspect forcing the PoF move - is it solely the housing development around Chino making it politically too antagonistic towards the airport, airshows, noise, etc.?

Does the Santa Maria airport have enough buffer area between it and all the nearby development that there's no similar contention there?

From what my friends at PoF have told me, it comes down to several things:

1) Mainly encroachment. If you look at the farmer fields to the east of the main runways, that whole area has been growing like crazy. The old farmers or their families are selling off the land to big commercial enterprises. The east end is quickly becoming a giant warehouse district, very similar to the east end off of ONT airport. Amazon has either already built or is about to build a giant distribution center under the flight path to the runways. Because of this encroachment, it places many more restrictions on things like the ability to have an airshow and/or the size of waivered airspace when an airshow is happening.

2) Less than desirable support from the city and/or county. As is expected, cities and counties always talk to those with the most money. Unfortunately, PoF is a mere "drop-in-the-bucket" when being compared to entities with millions and millions to spare, such as Amazon. PoF will never be able to compete with those kind of corporations.

3) With land becoming so valuable in that area, most people I talk to seem to think that soon Chino airport will develop into Santa Monica airport. That is, slow, but ever-increasing restrictions that eventually end up with the airport being shut down. Land is way, way, too valuable in that area and airports are not huge money making operations for cities and counties, unless it has a big passenger carrying presence. Chino does not have that. Unfortunately, money will always trump everybody and everyone. Every person I've talked to about the future of Chino airport says it's only a matter of time before the airport is shut down and the land is sold off to the highest bidder - commercial interests. How long will that be? Nobody knows, but PoF is being proactive by trying to get ahead of the curve before being forced out permanently and with no home to go to.

4) From what I've been told, there is plenty of "buffer" land around Santa Maria for encroachment to not be a factor for many, many decades - hence their desire to move there.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:23 am 

I imagine it will be quite an undertaking to get all of their bits and pieces moved. Seem to remember that the CAF have done it twice...

What's the weather like there? My two visits to Chino were in beautiful sunshine but pretty nasty haze - driving up 101 to San Francisco after the first visit, I recall the skies as much clearer once clear of the LA basin.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:51 am 

I wonder how a PoF move will affect the shops in the area? I'm sure Hinton will take Fighter Rebuilders to Santa Maria unless he decides to commute back & forth between Chino & SM. Would Aero Trader consider moving as well?

Mac

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:23 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Pehaps they can truck in some cow poop for that authentic Chino ambiance? Nothing like it on a warm summer day.... :lol:

I wish them well.

POF Chino has a certain feel to it that many enthusiasts appreciate. I like the musty old hangars and the active workshops, and the boneyard. It very much has the feel of a shoestring place that expanded haphazardly over the years and feels very operational. You feel like you are being let into a long closed warehouse full of treasures. While a new facility would undoubtedly be nice, it might not have the same charm. I recall going to the now closed Santa Monica museum after going to Chino for years and the place felt like a dentists office. Shiny planes and a floor you could eat off- but zero personality.

Hooligan, Santa Maria does get some of the "June gloom" with coastal fog, but it usually burns off and is quite nice weather wise.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:24 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

POF has been talking about his for years, as has Yanks. Yanks has had property in central California for at least a decade for their proposed relocation. San Bernardino County wants Chino to be a corporate jet port so they can capitalize on aircraft property taxes. The warbirds are generally exempt so they are just space-fillers for the time being. John Wayne/Oange County Airport is doing their best to squeeze out general aviation. Much of the displaced activity would likely move to Chino.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:32 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Weren’t PoF contemplating a move to Lincoln at one point? Presumably that plan is now dead.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Advantages I see to moving to Santa Maria:

Clearer weather usually starting around 10am thru the late afternoon. (after marine layer burns off).
Better flying area. (not as congested as Chino area).
Centrally located in California for both SoCal and NoCal visitors to reasonably drive to Santa Maria.
Great wine country for wives and girlfriends who get bored with airshow.
Accommodations are plenty and easy to access both to and from airport.
Hotel located at airport in area of airshow. (and if anything like past shows you can stay at hotel and look out your room window and see warbirds directly below you).
Military demo teams can show up and fly. (huge draw).
Warbird rides would be much better with better weather and ocean nearby.
Vandenberg Space Force Base right next to Santa Maria for military demo teams to locate during airshow.
Much prettier than Chino lol.
I would bet if POF were to host the usual numbers of warbirds plus a decent amount of current Military planes, as well as at least one military demo team, they'd double or triple the attendance numbers that the Chino shows had.

my 2 cents

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:02 pm 

Mike wrote:
Weren’t PoF contemplating a move to Lincoln at one point? Presumably that plan is now dead.

I live in Lincoln and was an airport user. I watched several years of quiet negotiations proceed toward putting Planes of Fame at the Lincoln Airport. The attitude of some short-sighted city leaders killed the deal, sad to say.

Bad for Lincoln; good for Santa Maria.

WIX Subscriber Since July 2017

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:53 pm 

Mike wrote:

Yes, completely dead.