Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Can't think of a title for this ...

Wed May 18, 2022 7:43 pm

... as this photo could certainly stir up some controversy. FWIW it's not the intention. Just a bit odd if real.

The photo is actually a bit hard to believe. If this is indeed a B-17 drone and that is indeed the US Capital building out front, then several things come to mind immediately.
- What's a B-17 "drone" doing flying over Washington DC?.
- Why is the nose pointed down?
- Who took the picture?
- What do the instruments tell us?
- Real? or fake?

Any experts want to chime in?

Photo states: "B-17 Drone making pass on US Capital 44-45"

Re: Can't think of a title for this ...

Wed May 18, 2022 7:52 pm

My guess is it's a fake.

Wed May 18, 2022 8:43 pm

From what I can see of the engine instruments, the engines are not running. The airspeed indicator looks to be one of those oddball Air Force types from the 1940s that reads 45 mph while static. The fuel pressures are at zero and the manifold pressures read 30” which would be about right for sitting static on the ramp with the engines shut down. The tachometers also look to be showing somewhere around zero rpm. What appears to be the altimeter also reads zero feet.

Otherwise the instruments are pretty well blocked by the throttles and control yokes. I’d guess that’s intentional by whoever made up this picture. Then again, I’m just an ex-tanker pilot who flew B-17s back in the day.

Wed May 18, 2022 8:59 pm

I'm no photographer, but the fact that the gauges are in focus and the Capital is also in focus makes me think it's a fake..

Phil

Wed May 18, 2022 9:02 pm

As an amateur photographer, I look at the picture and note that both the panel AND the buildings on the ground are in very good focus.

That much depth of field is pretty hard to achieve.

Wed May 18, 2022 9:58 pm

On top of the items mentioned...and to me the photo looks like a fake, ask yourself...

Why would the Air Force fly a drone, over the capitol...at low altitude and in a dive?

Come on, the Air Force has done many odd things, but they aren't stupid.
Think about it: Of all The places you don't want to mess up...over the people who set your budget and where your boss lives.
No Chief of staff wants to explain why an unmanned plane was flying over the Capitol...The risks are simply too great if there is a problem.

There is a reason why the B-17 drones operated over the Gulf of Mexico and the Navy flew their targets over the Mojave...(see "the Battle of Palmdale).

Wed May 18, 2022 11:40 pm

The scenario isn't that off however: ISTR that there was a(1947?) NULLO B-17G drone flight from Eglin to DC?

I really dislike the word 'fake'. I have no issues with it being a montage, with no intention to decieve.

Thu May 19, 2022 12:35 am

I'd heard that a Type F-1 airspeed indicator was correct for some U.S. bombers, but I'd never seen one in a Fort. I see it's also in a different location than usual. But as others have stated, I do believe this photo isn't genuine. It truly appears the engines aren't running

Thu May 19, 2022 2:52 am

With that attitude the ASI should be indicating a lot higher. I'm no expert but 45kt would be way below the stall speed of a B-17 I'm guessing. I'll go with a montage of two images.

Thu May 19, 2022 8:02 am

"Abbott and Costello Go to Washington!"

Thu May 19, 2022 12:36 pm

The MP gauges just "happen" to be indicating 29.92.

Thu May 19, 2022 1:57 pm

The plane must have been parked near sea level anyway. At 4300' MSL the manifold pressure gauges would be close to 25.5" field pressure. ;)

Thu May 19, 2022 3:25 pm

What’s the bank of what look like dials on top of instrument panel?

Thu May 19, 2022 3:27 pm

It's from a deleted character tangent in It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World". The studio heads felt that the appearance of a/another Wrong Way Corrigan character chasing the loot was, "really too much over the top."

Thu May 19, 2022 3:42 pm

Mark Allen M wrote:What’s the bank of what look like dials on top of instrument panel?

Master drone control panel; after getting the engines running etc, a crewman would set the switch (at left of the panel I recall) to move from 'manned' to 'NULLO' (remote) control. The drone would then be guided through take-off by a mobile operator near to the runway threshold and handed off to a 'mother' drone controller B-17 once airborne. If the drone returned to base, the reverse of this procedure was carried out. Up to 1947 the 'drone' and 'mother' B-17s bore no special designation. After 1947 they were referred to as QB-17 and DB-17 respectively.
Post a reply