Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For those who haven't heard about this one.

Nice!

For Sale: Documented combat veteran: 1944 Chance Vought F4U-1D. BuNo. 82640 registered as VH-NQW. This Corsair is the only flying F4U-1D anywhere in the world. During WWII it served with VF-10 Grim Reapers aboard the carrier USS Intrepid between January and April 1945. The aircraft just completed a 12 year restoration and made its post restoration first flight on February 28, 2022. Located in Australia. Offered at US$3,995,000. For more information see: https://www.platinumfighters.com/.../19 ... vought.../
#F4U #corsair #f4u1d #combatveteran #WWIII #warbirdsforsale #platinumfightersales

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Insignia Blue, the trickiest of the blues. :D
http://www.gmodelart.com/2020/04/plane- ... -navy.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I wasn’t going to bring it up. pop2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah that's one thing that kind of is a bother to me as well. Not that it couldn't be corrected (like how CF color corrected there Pearl Harbor P-40). Not to mention this Corsair's landing gear and wheel wells are all gloss white. Presumably for easier cleaning / maintenance, but it doesn't look very accurate to me. Not to mention the "26" is oversized and it appears she's missing the lightening bolt on the wings. But now I'm just riveting counting...

We at the Connecticut Air & Space Center would love to see her come back home to Stratford. Just that little pesky $4mil price tag standing in our way.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:35 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

mike furline wrote:
Insignia Blue, the trickiest of the blues. :D
http://www.gmodelart.com/2020/04/plane- ... -navy.html

Wow - that is a seriously in depth study of paint colors and model paint - I need to bookmark that one!

Oh, yeah and the Corsair is nice too. . . . 8)

Tom P.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:53 pm 

Great pictures.

I wonder, with high dollar warbirds like this, it seems like they mostly go through either Platinum Fighters or Courtesy Aircraft. Are there any other warbird brokers at that level?

Also, how does one choose to go with one over the other?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:04 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Great looking aircraft. It's nice to see a combat veteran flying again. Whoever buys it will get the paint the way they like it and hopefully fly it and enjoy the heck out of it. As far as doing business with brokers, both of those companies have decades of experience and know how to move inventory. You can always put an ad out or contact an owner directly if you want to skip the broker process. The brokers have a wealth of experience in getting airplanes imported, exported, and not hung up at the dock in customs. That alone would be why I would use these brokers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:33 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

blue3992 wrote:
I wonder, with high dollar warbirds like this, it seems like they mostly go through either Platinum Fighters or Courtesy Aircraft. Are there any other warbird brokers at that level?

Probably not others at that level for warbirds. These people know where to find the serious buyers. I wouldn't expect that the Wal-Mart heir would put out a wanted listing in Trade-A-Plane and leave his home phone number... These brokers also know the principals of the restoration shops personally.

Last edited by bdk on Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:57 am 

bdk wrote:
blue3992 wrote:

Probably not others at that level for warbirds. These people know where to find the serious buyers. I wouldn't expect that the Wal-Mart heir would put out a wanted listing in Trade-A-Plane and leave his home pone number... These brokers also know the principals of the restoration shops personally.

That said, B-25 "Old GLory" was listed on Barnstormers a few years ago. Every once in awhile a warbird will pop up on eBay. Warbirds is a tight community so people buying and selling is rather small. If you have one and are looking to sell or want one and looking to buy your not talking to a lot of people. No one surfing Ebay is really in the market looking for a P-51.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:34 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

One thing has changed. Thirty years ago, you could ask your broker to find a P-40 or Say, P-47 and he would go looking. It was easier and they might locate a flyer, a couple projects or both. Except for P-51''s and a few others, the turnover rate has slowed. So, if you want an airplane they don't have a listing for then you have to go find and do the deal yourself. It's now more like the auto lot business, "You need to buy what we have on the lot" mentality. No disrespect intended.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:06 am 

30 years ago you also had LOA's for "all types of HP Experimental Aircraft"... there were people were legal with no additional required training depending on how the warbird was registered. Fun times.