Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:58 pm 

marine air wrote:
I hope the FW-189 Uhu will be the first project to be restored to flying. It seems to have been an amazing and unique design in the ISR role. Plus it did several other roles. Just like when they studied the Horten jet flying wing when designing the B-2, I believe there is a lot to be learned from the FW-189 for future aircraft designs.

The Fw-189 was for sale, then the listing was closed. I never saw any update whether it found a buyer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:16 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

It makes sense to open Paine Field again. It will take several years to set up an equivalent facility in Arkansas, so in the meantime the aircraft are on show, and being maintained to some degree. Isn't there a substantial tax benefit from showing them to the public too?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:55 am 

Short of Paul Allen not passing, this seems like the best possible outcome.

The collection is now owned by a deep pocketed person who has a proven interest and history of action in the warbird community.

It'll be open to the public and doesn't have to move (and avoid the risks associated with that) for the time being.

Looks good all around to me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:41 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Another positive from staying in that area is the potential to reconnect with the FHCAM volunteer base. I imagine many people who were involved with FHCAM will want to be involved with the new museum.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:52 am 

Be interesting if information on their restorations is more forthcoming with new ownership. Can they restart the Me 262 program? Fw 189? P-38? B-17? Stuka?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'd suggest a bit of caution before getting your hopes up.
Just because a new owner has bought the collection (or most of it?), (CORRECTION) that does not mean he shares all of Allen's goals...or extremely deep pockets.
So while it would be nice to see the rare stuff fly, don't assume all will be as it was before.

Correction...spell check made what I said confusing...sorry.

Last edited by JohnB on Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

And also don’t assume all won’t be better than before. Glass half full.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:17 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

ZRX61 wrote:
From the link:

Quote:
FHCAM continued to operate following Allen’s death in late 2018 but like many institutions, the museum was closed in March of 2020 given the COVID-19 pandemic. Although artifact care and restoration has continued, the museum has remained closed, and its assets are now being sold consistent with Allen’s wishes.

WTF?

I imagine his wishes were to keep it going, but we will never know. I seem to recall that he did not leave a will or a specific trust to support the museum or other endeavors, so determining "his wishes" can be tough without specific instructions. No heirs, and his sister is the executor and had no apparent interest in keeping things running as is in perpetuity. Major benefactors have been a huge factor in the warbird movement and the movement is much better off with their presence. We as enthusiasts get to enjoy many major restorations and collections due to their interest, but the "problem" there is often no transition or back up plan once they pass. A well funded trust would likely help in such a case, and it would seem there were the means to do that in this case. Not being critical, the warbird movement (and other movements, PBS, charities, etc.) have benefited hugely from a few that can support such endeavors. Some choose to set up a trust to carry on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:31 pm 

JohnB wrote:
Just because a new owner has bought the collection (or most of it?), that first mean he shares all of Allen's goals...or extremely deep pockets.
So while it would be nice to see the rare stuff fly, don't assume all will be as it was before.

The museum statement did include a one-liner about flying again. I hope so, but probably not a guarantee just yet. I hope they continue with the video updates on the Stuka assembly, unless they finished it during the downtime.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DoraNineFan wrote:
The museum statement did include a one-liner about flying again. I hope so, but probably not a guarantee just yet. I hope they continue with the video updates on the Stuka assembly, unless they finished it during the downtime.

That would be nice, but again there is a huge difference between flying the majority of the collection and the very rare types. Operating a "one of a kind" airworthy example with a similarly rare (and unsupported in all likelihood) engine, is an entirely different thing than flying the "common" warbirds.
That takes an entirely different kind of commitment, both technical and financial.
Remember, if it was "easy" or "cheap" (even by warbird standards), it would have been done long ago.
So far, Allen was the only guy whose checkbook matched those lofty ambitions. A rare occurrence.

I don't mean to be a half-empty glass guy, just trying to inject some caution here before "we" spend someone else's money. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rest assured the guy with the money has the least concern about “us” spending his money. The Walton Empire has plenty of resources to make happen things that no one has seen before. Take a seat and enjoy the ride. Could be a fun one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:05 pm 

DoraNineFan wrote:
JohnB wrote:
Just because a new owner has bought the collection (or most of it?), that first mean he shares all of Allen's goals...or extremely deep pockets.

From my sources within the former FHCAM, flying is intended, but I don't know how, when, or where it will happen. I do know that we will see many of the familiar pilot faces continue to be associated with this new incarnation at some point in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Agreed! and I would have to think the “usual suspect” pilots would still be doing the flying for now, and beyond. I would also have to think that the warbird pilot pool is quite finite for many of that collections aircraft.

I’ll also tend to think that sometime down the road the Midwest might just be seeing a few planes from this collection show up at places like Oshkosh.

Time will tell on all the speculation. Wishing the best no matter what the planes will be.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:41 pm 

Mark Allen M wrote:
Agreed! and I would have to think the “usual suspect” pilots would still be doing the flying for now, and beyond. I would also have to think that the warbird pilot pool is quite finite for many of that collections aircraft.

I’ll also tend to think that sometime down the road the Midwest might just be seeing a few planes from this collection show up at places like Oshkosh.

Time will tell on all the speculation. Wishing the best no matter what the planes will be.

Agree with all! The future is very bright and I think most people will be happy with this outcome, imo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:38 am 

kalamazookid wrote:
Another positive from staying in that area is the potential to reconnect with the FHCAM volunteer base. I imagine many people who were involved with FHCAM will want to be involved with the new museum.

This is a huge factor. There is a proven volunteer and knowledge base there, with the Museum of Flight resto facility literally just down the field. Not to mention all the Boeing knowledge in the area.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next