Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:54 pm 

Just added,

Paul Keppeler's Sabre Mk. 6! 8)

THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:09 pm 

Just added,

Robert Dickson's P-51D Mustang "Swamp Fox"! 8)

THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:49 am 

:evil: Shucks :evil: ... The latest early bird ticket email indicates Thunder is further complicating things with multiple shows per day, multiple drive in parking tiers with dynamic pricing, and only the Officers Club gets an all day option. I just want to walk in with access to the grounds, concessions, statics, museum, and flightline for the whole day.

1952 Ford F6 Howe Fire Truck
1951 Ford F5
1949 Ford F6 Dump Truck
1978 Ford Mustang II
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle
1949 Ford 8N; 1948, 1949 & 1950 Baird Beavers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:20 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

bmoran wrote:
:evil: Shucks :evil: ... The latest early bird ticket email indicates Thunder is further complicating things with multiple shows per day, multiple drive in parking tiers with dynamic pricing, and only the Officers Club gets an all day option. I just want to walk in with access to the grounds, concessions, statics, museum, and flightline for the whole day.

Extremely disappointing. We won't be back.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:27 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

bmoran wrote:
Any idea what is driving this? Can't still be Covid related, could it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:39 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

bdk wrote:
bmoran wrote:
Any idea what is driving this? Can't still be Covid related, could it?

Money.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:20 am 

Yeah, money and maybe help needed. They say that favorable feedback is why they are doing it? (Must be a sheltered undercover group their polling) This is the only show I know of that still uses this format. I and others I know are out for next year! Sad.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:34 pm 

Very disappointed to see this...won't be there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:31 pm 

Disappointing to say the least, this continued pay top $$ for half a show concept is ludicrous

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:05 pm 

So long ToM.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I posted this elsewhere, but I'll share it here as well. I know I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but I'll say it one last time: it isn't the cost, it's the utter stupidity of the split format.

Literally every airshow in North America lets you see the entire airshow for the price of one ticket. Every single one. Maybe you can make an argument that Oshkosh or Sun N' Fun don't because their shows are spread out over a week, but it's a pretty big stretch to compare those to what Thunder is doing. You don't pay in the morning, then have to leave and pay to come back in the afternoon to see the rest of the airshow anywhere else - not at Oshkosh, or Reading, or Houston, or Geneseo, or London, or Duxford, or a military show or your local show in a cornfield. There is no amount of "Choose Your Headliner," or "Officer's Club" or other fancy marketing BS that will change that. "Officer's Club" in this case roughly translates to "pay more money for the normal airshow experience you get everywhere else plus a crappy sandwich and a shade tent."

Last year, the morning and afternoon shows were totally different. If one had wanted to see the Mosquito, Hurricanes and F-100 and had only an afternoon ticket, they would have been screwed (assuming everything had shown up). If a morning attendee had wanted to see Mike Goulian, the Lysander, the Vampire and the Axis aircraft, they would have been screwed (again, assuming everything had shown up). If one had paid for a one-day ticket at any other airshow, all of the acts the show booked would have been included. I'm not going to guess which half day is going to have the acts I want to see, and I'm not going to pay twice for what is included in the price of one ticket at every other airshow I could possibly dream of attending. There are zero acts or aircraft that are worth that. It's obnoxious. It's a rip-off. It's insultingly stupid. It's unbelievable to me that people are not only asking for this but actually think it's a good deal.

The White Zone is ... uh, really bad. $99 to either sit 4,000+ feet from the runway or stand in the static display area, while not having any access at all to the hot ramp? You have to pay extra to be able to look at all of the aircraft at the airshow? WTF? Why are they making things that were always included in the price of one ticket "exclusive?" It's an "exclusive" perk to do do something you can already do just about everywhere else? This is laughably and insultingly stupid.

$129 for an entire day of Blue Zone would be completely reasonable. That's about what two people would pay for walk-up tickets and parking under the old format. Sign me up for that any day of the week if it comes with a full airshow, the hot ramp and all the static displays. In the meantime, we'll be spending our time and money elsewhere.

I've said my piece. If you go, enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:09 pm 

My TOM stats:

1) 2007
2) 2009
3) 2010
4) 2011
5) 2012
6) 2013
7) 2014
8) 2015
9) 2016
10) 2016-06-22 (Canada show)
11) 2017
12) 2018
13) 2019
14) 2021 (all four shows)
15) 2022 (all four shows)

Fun while it lasted.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/donate.html

Last edited by DaveG on Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:08 pm 

It was posted on the airshow facebook page that the "white zone" car pass allows attendees to sit in the static display area, which is behind the blue zone. It is $99 and includes as many as you can legally fit in your vehicle.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:58 pm 

Just added,

The Dakota Territory Air Museum's P-47D Thunderbolt!!! 8)

THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:23 am 

michael luther wrote:
Just added,

The Dakota Territory Air Museum's P-47D Thunderbolt!!! 8)

Two thumbs up for this add!

Jeff

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next