Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Firefly WD833
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:07 am 

Sad to see how this one ended up.

https://www.barnstormers.com/classified ... oject.html

Hard to believe in this day and age the seller (who has been around a long time) would suggest scrapping the airframe.

Of course, if you wanted a flyer, it would be likely be far cheaper to purchase WB518, which has been for sale for some time. But, still, WD833 would make a great static project.

Post subject: Re: Firefly WD833
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

This is a type that saw WW II combat service and later marks saw compbat service in the Korean War. We don't know if this airplane is a combat veteran but is a Mk 6 and too late for WW II. It would make a great addition to any WW II collection as it's an Allied type and initially used as a shipboard fighter. It's a total shame that someone disassembled it to it's smallest pieces without the funds, talent or whatever to get it back together.
If my hangar were finished I'd consider it. My thought would be to buy the project, propellors, and those Griffons in the background that are also for sale. Eventually those three items will be in even more demand. It's going to take a lot of time and money even to get the Firefly back into a static display condition.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:14 pm 

marine air wrote:
This is a type that saw WW II combat service and later marks saw compbat service in the Korean War. We don't know if this airplane is a combat veteran but is a Mk 6 and too late for WW II. It would make a great addition to any WW II collection as it's an Allied type and initially used as a shipboard fighter. It's a total shame that someone disassembled it to it's smallest pieces without the funds, talent or whatever to get it back together.
If my hangar were finished I'd consider it. My thought would be to buy the project, propellors, and those Griffons in the background that are also for sale. Eventually those three items will be in even more demand. It's going to take a lot of time and money even to get the Firefly back into a static display condition.

No doubt, if it was still more or less intact I would probably buy it and stick it in the back of my warehouse, just to climb around it and make noises. I actually thought about buying it 15 (?) years ago when it was for sale (mostly assembled...) on Courtesy.

In the 70s, when I was a kid, I desperately tried to convince my dad to buy a Firefly, as I figured there would be plenty of room in the back for me to fly around to airshows with him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:11 am 

marine air wrote:
It's a total shame that someone disassembled it to it's smallest pieces without the funds, talent or whatever to get it back together.

Agreed.

I'm used to seeing torn-apart basket cases in the automotive section of Craigslist and similar sites. No shortage of people with several thousand dollars, some basic tools, and a dream of cruising around in their pristine muscle car.

Seeing a warbird all torn apart like that is another matter. One would think that someone with the resources to acquire a warbird would be more measured in how they approached things. On the contrary, it seems like they did the standard "take it all apart and chuck it into the corner" method. Even more unfortunate that everything seems to be stored outside.