Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: News media and Warbirds
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:00 pm 

With the happening of this latest Oh so sad event the other day, that just shocked me.
Condolences to all involved, close family and all.
What we all should be very concerned about is how some in the media start attacking the old flying machines and hint at the danger of them because of how old they are.
There really needs to be some one or group in the old aircraft / warbird community that can start an education of the media campaign.
Everyone needs to be shown that yes these planes were designed and built before and into the 1940's, and have proven they are all very capable designs, many were used commercially after the war, it needs to be shown that most all of them now flying are likely almost factory new aircraft. Since many of them have been close to totally rebuilt - remanufactured, also that they are more highly maintained than the average airliner, and by much more experienced technicians.
We just don't need these old planes grounded forever. There have been plenty of newer aircraft that have crashed at airshows as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:01 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The news media will always take the route that generates the most hype and digs up the most dirt. There's an old saying the news business: "Bad news sells papers". It's sadly true.

Since we're on the subject of the safety of flying old airplanes, let me try to lighten the mood a little with a true story involving my own self.

Every October, VFM holds its annual Big Band Hangar Dance. This year was Number 30 (after a two-year hiatus due to COVID-19). It's our big fund raiser for the year. For many years now, our friends and hangar mates with GGA sell rides in their C-47, "Southern Cross", during the dance. A few years ago, I noticed an older woman milling around near the C-47 rides desk, looking like she was thinking about taking a flight, but obviously hesitant. I walked over and asked if she had any questions. She pointed her finger at me and said, sternly, "Young man," (I was closing in on 60 years old at that time!) "Is that old airplane really safe to fly?" Without missing a beat, I replied, "Yes, ma'am. How do you think it got to be that old?" She mulled that over for a minute, she got a little smile, and said, "I'll do it!" I walked her to the desk and introduced her to the check-in crew, asked her to come find me when she got back to let me know how she liked it. I happened to be at the ramp gate when the flight returned, and she walked up to me with a huge smile on her face, thanked me profusely for "talking her into it", and telling me how much she enjoyed it. Yep, those old airplanes are still safe to fly!

Keep the faith, y'all.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:38 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

K5DH wrote:
The news media will always take the route that generates the most hype and digs up the most dirt. There's an old saying the news business: "Bad news sells papers". It's sadly true.

If it bleeds it leads...

the media has become more and more questionable over the decades and I tend to limit myself to specific outlets, which in and of itself can be problematic.
There are no neutral and/or unbiased sources anymore, but I find the BBC to be the closest.

My best advice, visit multiple sources and use your brain (something lacking lately worldwide, especially in the US)

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:37 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Scott Rose wrote:
the media has become more and more questionable over the decades and I tend to limit myself to specific outlets, which in and of itself can be problematic.
There are no neutral and/or unbiased sources anymore, but I find the BBC to be the closest.

My best advice, visit multiple sources and use your brain (something lacking lately worldwide, especially in the US)
You said it brother! You mirror my thoughts exactly. I heard a news report stating the B-17 cut off the other aircraft.

Just remember, the same media reporting nonsense when it comes to aviation is also reporting on national and international news. What makes anyone think they are more proficient at that?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:42 am 

bdK wrote:
"Just remember, the same media reporting nonsense when it comes to aviation is also reporting on national and international news. What makes anyone think they are more proficient at that?"

I agree, they are probably not!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:46 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

"We got the bubble-headed bleached-blonde, comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die
Give us dirty laundry"

"Dirty Laundry", Don Henley, 1982
pop2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:48 am 

Agree 100% with the last couple posts. Many people are not using their brains, and just relaying on what they hear on one reporting source and nothing else.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:47 pm 

Gasoline powered cars already have a death date. There is a looming diesel shortage. General aviation (including vintage/warbirds) are going to be swept up in the "green energy" wave. Enjoy them while you can. The people in charge said our country is in a transition away from fossil fuels. The media supports the agenda of the people in charge. Those are the facts.... in the end its not going to have anything to do with education, saftey or accidents. In the next 10 years, if you cant plug it in to charge, its not going anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Politics and media aside...

General aviation (and it's warbirds sub culture) have long had a bit of an image problem.
Every time someone has an accident or does something stupid it gets attention, usually bad.
A lot of people think anyone who flies or had an aircraft is an energy wasting "rich guy", they don't see the the difference between your Cessna 140 and Bill Gate's there engine Falcon.

The local GA field hosts an annual "Neighbor Day" where people attend a free event where local antiques and warbirds are displayed and do flybys (just flybys so the FAA doesn't get too involved). The helicopter ambulance, sheriff department and local military helicopters are displayed, the CAP, EAA and AOPA are there, as is both local A&P schools, so it makes some friends for the airport.
The airport board sends postcards to everyone in a certain arra, you'd be surprised how many people are impressed with their "personal invitation".

With warbirds, try to give back. There was a local group of Stearman pilots that trained in basic formations, so they flew over the opening day of the minor league ball team, and the occasional vet's funeral.
Have about groups visit as part of their aviation merit badge, maybe get involved in high school STEM classes like the local air museum does.

Again, the local museum flew its B-25 over three Veteran Day events..which was covered by local media. (The local FAA office apparently vetoed two other flyovers because they didn't want the Mitchell flying over 'heavily populated areas'. That was before the Texas tragedy, so one can only guess what their attitude will be next year).

It takes time to build up goodwill in the community.
Unfortunately, it just takes a second to lose it, so don't do anything stupid and above all, be safe.

Last edited by JohnB on Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:39 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

menards wrote:
Gasoline powered cars already have a death date. There is a looming diesel shortage. General aviation (including vintage/warbirds) are going to be swept up in the "green energy" wave. Enjoy them while you can. The people in charge said our country is in a transition away from fossil fuels. The media supports the agenda of the people in charge. Those are the facts.... in the end its not going to have anything to do with education, saftey or accidents. In the next 10 years, if you cant plug it in to charge, its not going anywhere.

We DO need to be realistic, but I also think this brings to mind the "hazardous attitudes" of aviation that the FAA talks about - and this one is Resignation. I for one thing that good men need to stand up and hold a line against this push, with honor, respect, and courage.

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:41 pm 

RyanShort1 wrote:
menards wrote:

We DO need to be realistic, but I also think this brings to mind the "hazardous attitudes" of aviation that the FAA talks about - and this one is Resignation. I for one thing that good men need to stand up and hold a line against this push, with honor, respect, and courage.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:56 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

exhaustgases wrote:

......it needs to be shown that most all of them now flying are likely almost factory new aircraft. Since many of them have been close to totally rebuilt - remanufactured, also that they are more highly maintained than the average airliner, and by much more experienced technicians.....

On the flip side, there have been several high profile incidents where improper maintenance/safety practices (to state it politely) were contributing factors (EE Lightning in South Africa, B-17 Nine-O-Nine, Swiss Ju-52) and a few others where improper maintenance were likely part of the swiss cheese.

While the vast majority of warbirds are highly maintained, we can not ignore the outliers. We hope they are well maintained, but we have been proven wrong before. To be clear, I am not inferring any procedural or maintenance problems or causes for this past weekends incident, just a caution that we can't always say that aircraft are "factory new" or "more highly maintained than the average airliner..." Many operators recognize that their aircraft are not "factory new" and fly them safely and sedately. Hate to be that guy, but parts of the Nine-O-Nine report left me gutted.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:11 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

menards wrote:
Good Luck!

Join us.

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:55 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

You have to realize that to the media, every small plane is a cessna, every fighter is a jet, every gun is a AR-15. You can't confuse them with little things like the facts and truth, those just get in the way.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The media outlets I follow aren’t mainstream but have seemed to have done their research. There was no mention of Cessna’s or jets involved and the language, timeline and aircraft involved were accurate.

Also there were no negative comments or debate regarding the future of warbirds flying. So not all media is the enemy. The real enemy IMO has to be one’s consumption of any one particular media outlet and one’s willingness to be manipulated and convinced of content that’s lacking in facts and truth.