Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2023 restorations.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I'm wondering if someone has gotten a Napier Sabre running (or is close to doing so) for a Tempest. I don't think any of the Typhoons have had enough substantial progress to be a potential flyer in 2023 - are there any Tempests that could be close?

The KF Aerospace Hawker Tempest II MW376 is also close to first flight, but that one is powered by a R-2800.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:51 pm 

Chris Brame wrote:
Almost forgot, aren't there a couple Kingfisher projects going on Down Under?

The Pioneer Aero one exists, I don't think it is actually being worked on? P-40s and SBD ahead in the queue.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:22 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I think Kermit had work progressing on the Kingfisher but then the SBD wing projects got started. He sent his SBD wings as well. So, maybe we will have one or more SBD's flying again someday. The Kingfisher, sadly, will have to wait . As to the Napier Sabre engines, I think Jose' of Vintage V-12's said he would love to do one. Personally, I'd be happy just to hear one on the ground with it's distinctive growl. It would be wonderful if there was a new one in a can somewhere. Seems like the existing ones are trade school derelicts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:28 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

marine air wrote:
...but then the SBD wing projects got started. He sent his SBD wings as well. So, maybe we will have one or more SBD's flying again someday.
As I recall, one fuselage is Downunder getting rebuilt. Is Kermit's there as well?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:23 pm 
KiwiZac

I was fortunate to have a tour of Pioneer Aero a couple of months ago: Yagen's SBD is underway (I believe the wing's quite advanced in the US). As for the Kingfishers both are there but on hold, Yagen's is far more advanced/complete.

I don't think either of the Typhoons will fly next year but the Canadian and UK Tempest IIs should/could.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:18 am 

Zac Yates wrote:
I was fortunate to have a tour of Pioneer Aero a couple of months ago: Yagen's SBD is underway (I believe the wing's quite advanced in the US). As for the Kingfishers both are there but on hold, Yagen's is far more advanced/complete.

I don't think either of the Typhoons will fly next year but the Canadian and UK Tempest IIs should/could.

any word on Jerry's KI 61?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:06 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Quote:

Was at one point a replica G-55 based on a G-59 with a DB engine was planned by Mr. Yagen? Or I am out to lunch?????

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:10 am 

Michel Lemieux wrote:
Quote:

Was at one point a replica G-55 based on a G-59 with a DB engine was planned by Mr. Yagen? Or I am out to lunch?????

Both Jerry's and Kermit's Ki61's are in storage with Avspecs.

That's true regarding the G-55. It was being converted from a G-59 at Meier Motors in Germany. As far as I know the project was halted and went into storage.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:21 pm 
KiwiZac

FuryFB11 wrote:
Quote:

Can confirm - saw them on the same day as my Pioneer visit, no change since I last saw them in December last year.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:44 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

These KI-61 airframes have been around since the 1970's and no one has made much progress. I belief is that there is a "story" as to why they haven't been completed. Are there no blueprints? Was the metallurgy in wartime Japan faulty and can't be trusted? It's almost like there's a technological hurdle of some kind preventing these from being rebuilt.
As far as the Fiat G-59's. There was one fully restored bu Meir MOtors and they practically scratch built a set of wings for it. So, I can't help to wonder if there is corrosion of some sort with the aluminum used on these aircraft. There are only a couple of them around that have ever come up for sale. I think the last one was for sale around a million dollars. It has a Rolls Royce engine and Hamilton Standard patented prop. The design doesn't seem that radical. It would be nice if they could do the G.55 reversion but somehow keep the second cockpit. I tell, you after flying the TF-51D in both cockpits, a full second cockpit is really nice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:30 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Our Hawker Fury biplane is first-priority in the hangar now that the Hurricane XII has flown. The airframe parts are pretty much complete, laid out, and being assembled. None of the sheet-metal is new, but there's a lot more to the story than that...

Anyway, the Kestrel VII is on the test stand now in the UK after a stupendously expensive overhaul. The aeroplane won't fly in 2023, but should in 2024.

We have a Hucks Starter all ready to go since Kestrels had no electric starter. Here it is in operation on the only other running (not flying) Kestrel engine in Canada. Maybe all of North America -- I'm not sure. https://www.vintagewings.ca/stories/the-moment

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:22 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

[quote]FuryFB11 wrote:
Quote:

Can confirm - saw them on the same day as my Pioneer visit, no change since I last saw them in December last year.[quote]

Is there two there or three? Wikipedia states that Jerry's Ki-61 and another destined for Papua New Guinea are in NZ and that Kermit's is still in the US.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:46 pm 
KiwiZac

old iron wrote:
Is there two there or three? Wikipedia states that Jerry's Ki-61 and another destined for Papua New Guinea are in NZ and that Kermit's is still in the US.

I saw three fuselages. I'm unsure how many engines are stashed around but this one is on public display elsewhere on the field:
ImageUntitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
ImageUntitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:50 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Recovered Ki-61's

https://pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/ki-61/292.html

https://pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/ki-61/299.html

https://pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/ki-61/379.html

https://pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/ki-61/640.html

https://pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/ki-61/babo-bush.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:58 am 

Dave Hadfield wrote:
Anyway, the Kestrel VII is on the test stand now in the UK after a stupendously expensive overhaul. The aeroplane won't fly in 2023, but should in 2024.
Dave

Hi Dave, could I ask what company has overhauled the Kestral? Just out of curiosity :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next