Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:27 pm 

My mom is scanning my grandfather's WWII pictures and came across this picture. The picture is of Col Robert Westbrook P-38 "Florida Thrush" shortly before being shot down on a ground attack mission. The 2 gentlemen were part of my grandfathers unit and do not know anything about them. The P-38 was my grandfather's favorite plane and have I a picture of him sitting in one. My only guess is that it was in Col Westbrook P-38. Once my mother gets done I will post some other pictures.

Image20230131_132452 by Kevin Orr, on Flickr

Image20230131_132511 by Kevin Orr, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Very cool and sad, you probably have his P-38's last photo.

Lt. Colonel Bob "Westy" Westbrook scored seven kills while flying a P-40F with the 44th FS, 18th FG. After switching to the P-38 he scored another 13 kills with both the 44th FS and the 347th FG where he held the position of Deputy CO. Westy was Killed in Action on 22 November 1944. At the time of his death his score was 20 confirmed kills and two probables. Lt. Col. Westbrook was the sixth highest scoring P-38 ace. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, two Silver Stars, two Distinguished Flying Crosses and 16 Air Medals.

On November 22, 1944, Westbrook was leading the flight to destroy the Japanese naval convoys in Makassar bay. The flight proceeded to destroy or heavily damage 13 vessels by strafing. While strafing a Japanese gunboat, Westbrook's P-38 was hit by anti-aircraft fire from the convoy. He leveled his P-38 in an attempt to make a water landing, but the P-38 turned its nose down and slammed into the water, killing him instantly. His wingman was also shot down in the same mission, but was rescued by an U.S. Navy PBY Catalina. Westbrook's remains were never recovered.

Lt Col Robert Westbrook and his P-38 "Florida Thrush".