Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sadly it looks like the Ju-87 hasn’t progressed much.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:02 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:

Does anyone have a serious feel for how much of this aircraft is actually original? From what I see there seems to a lot of original parts used as templates. I know this is true for many modern flyable examples of WWII aircraft, and for most restored wreckoveries, but is the original parts that would be retained in the restored Ju.87

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:44 am 

bdk wrote:
Did I see somewhere that the Stuka was purchased by someone in Switzerland?

I also saw something, somewhere about a Swiss involvement with the Stuka. I can't remember where, but I don't recall it being mentioned that the airplane was sold. I think it was a partnership, and that the project may be sent there for completion. I'll try to dig around and find it again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:51 pm 

old iron wrote:
Quote:

Does anyone have a serious feel for how much of this aircraft is actually original? From what I see there seems to a lot of original parts used as templates. I know this is true for many modern flyable examples of WWII aircraft, and for most restored wreckoveries, but is the original parts that would be retained in the restored Ju.87

From the photos of the basic airframe construction in Hungary, it looks like a brand-new Stuka airframe with some original internals and cockpit components used. The unique spring-operated landing suspension also looks to be new-manufactured. They talked about the prop restoration work at Skycraft, and the blades are brand-new. The Jumo 211 is an original unit obviously but I think they used at least ten engines and containers of parts to assemble a working one. That last video before the museum closed showed them assembling the cockpit and avionics, and starting the new electrical system.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:07 pm 
KiwiZac

Zac Yates wrote:
I seem to remember mention it would be open until September...has there been any clarification on that? EDIT: I've emailed the museum and will relay any answer.

From the museum:
Quote:
we will be open Wednesday through Sunday 10:00am-5:00pm starting June 14th.

On May 27th we are opening with limit hours (Saturday and Sunday 10:00am-5:00pm).

Quote:
Seasonal closing is definitely a rumor! We will be open year round!

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:24 am 

Sorry it's from Facebook, pics of the Stuka this week.

https://www.facebook.com/Fight2Fly/posts/640523324782790

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:36 pm 
KiwiZac

Excellent to see, thanks for the link!

I've heard rumour of another Ju87 project in Europe (possibly this), that may explain the Swiss connection.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:32 am 

Zac Yates wrote:

I've heard rumour of another Ju87 project in Europe (possibly this), that may explain the Swiss connection.

Yeah I can remember someone in Europe promoting one quite a few years ago now..Had a lot of wreckage plus new build bits.Was looking for plans,designers etc.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:59 pm 

Spitty wrote:
Zac Yates wrote:

Yeah I can remember someone in Europe promoting one quite a few years ago now..Had a lot of wreckage plus new build bits.Was looking for plans,designers etc.

The description is interesting. They are selling misc parts for a Ju-87D, a box of photos and a box of reverse-engineered partial drawings. And the buyer has the option to purchase separate set of parts that include an actual Werk. Nr. for a Ju-87B or R.

Paul Allen's rebuild is a Ju-97R so it seems practical for the buyer to also purchase the Ju-87R Werk. Nr. and work with the same Hungarian company to built it.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I wonder what the paperwork and Werk number for a Ju-87 go for?
Possibly less than its rarity might indicate, since unlike many warbird fighters, there is no established industry making parts or assemblies that the ID can be readily attached to.

I assume few people have the resources to spend $200 an hour to pay for someone reading drawings and making templates and jigs for parts.

By comparison, a Mustang or Spitfire seem like the warbird equivalent of a '57 Chevy, '67 Mustang or '69 Camaro...you can build one out of a catalog.

Last edited by JohnB on Wed May 31, 2023 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:21 pm 

JohnB wrote:
I wonder what the paperwork and Werk number for a Ju-87 go for?
Possibly less than its rarity might indicate since unlike many warbird fighters, there is no established industry making parts or assemblies that the ID can be readily attached to.

I assume few people have the resources to spend $200 an hour to pay for someone reading drawings and making templates and jigs for parts.I

By comparison, a Mustang or Spitfire seems like the warbird equivalent of a '57 Chevy, '67 Mustang or '69 Camaro...you can build one out of a catalog.

I'm guessing that if the Flying Heritage Museum is willing to share, the back-end engineering has already been done for the Ju-87R variant. It would be great to see another build get started.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It’s unfortunate to see both the 87 and 262 in a state of limbo. Glad someone with deep pockets purchased the whole collection, but P Allen is certainly missed. His vision and goals were certainly second to none regarding the acquisition and restoration to flight of some of the most rare and iconic aircraft of WW2.

Sadly I’m not sure we’ll see someone with his dedication, determination and commitment to bring such rare types back to life like Allen was doing.

So many significant WW2 aircraft are still not represented flying. The list is quite large actually. To think that less than a hundred years ago there were thousands of examples of front line types in existence. Today you’re lucky to find just one on display in a museum.

Really is amazing that all those aircraft vanished. This is why I view P Allen as probably the premier individual ever to bring back to life extremely rare front line aircraft types. No one else I can think of came close.

Paul is sorely missed.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:59 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Mark Allen M wrote:
It’s unfortunate to see both the 87 and 262 in a state of limbo. Glad someone with deep pockets purchased the whole collection, but P Allen is certainly missed.
<SNIP>
This is why I view P Allen as probably the premier individual ever to bring back to life extremely rare front line aircraft types. No one else I can think of came close.
Paul is sorely missed.
Allen also had a penchant for litigation. Not sure how many restoration companies were still willing to risk working with him. His demands were high and aircraft were being restored to standards beyond what had previously been done.

I wonder if the new owner has an interest in these types of complex restorations or just wants a group of flyers? Has he restored anything before? Maybe as the move nears some of the projects will be sold off?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:26 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It appears that the Hellcat is being readied for action.

Quote:
Hey everyone! Mark your calendars for the Grumman Hellcat Run-Up on July 14th at 2 pm (weather permitting)! This involves our mechanics temporarily advancing the throttles of the Hellcat engine to ensure it is capable of producing take-off.
General admission tickets are available on our website or they can purchased at the door.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/flyingheritage ... sJ4CESArSl

Hopefully, this is an indication that some of the aircraft will be flown in the near future!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

bdk wrote:
His demands were high and aircraft were being restored to standards beyond what had previously been done.

Sounds a bit like what the collector car world calls "over restored", that is making something too perfect.
I base that after seeing photos of some of the B-17 components that were restored before that project got put aside.
The photos showed very bright polished metal and workmanship better than what the aircraft had when it rolled out of Boeing's Plant #2.

I'm not sure of the accuracy of making a wartime German type a paragon of perfection considering they were being hastily assembled by a probably demoralized workforce (possibly slave labor) being subjected to round-the-clock bombing.