Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:33 am 

Today, we celebrate the anniversary of VE-DAY. Lets list out aircraft that served in WW2 that still exist and/or fly.

I will start with the VAC's C-47 "Tico Belle" which flew troops during each of the airborne drops during WW2.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 12:00 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

that covers every warbird that was built during WWII and still survives, just because it may not have seen combat, does not mean it did not serve.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 1:27 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I wouldn't at all be surprised if there's a book or website somewhere that lists surviving WW2 warbirds that saw combat. Most that I know of today, don't fly anymore.
For example, of the B-17s I know of that are preserved intact (and not underwater somewhere), I think just four of them either saw combat or flew into combat zones? One was in the PTO and three were with the 8th AF. "Pink Lady" (which was in the 8th AF) flew in the Memphis Belle movie but doesn't fly anymore, I understand. The rest never got shot at, as far as I know.
Then you have the issue of what constitutes a combat zone? How about a transport which flew over the Hump? Few of those planes ever got shot at but I think we'd all agree that sure wasn't stateside flying (my late uncle got the DFC for those flights).

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:28 pm 

There is probably a good proportion of existing RAF aircraft of that era that qualify.

Particularly Spitfires, especially P7350, a Spitfire Mk.IIa which fought in the Battle of Britain and is still airworthy with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight today.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

p51 wrote:
Then you have the issue of what constitutes a combat zone? How about a transport which flew over the Hump? Few of those planes ever got shot at but I think we'd all agree that sure wasn't stateside flying (my late uncle got the DFC for those flights).

Great point.
Not only are there more C-47s flying, but I'd wager a higher percentage of those survivors saw combat or hazardous duty ( The hump) than most types. Our local museum has an airworthy Hump veteran C-47B.

And if we want to set definitions, then "survivors" need to be defined, would it include dataplate restorations? Many rivet counters here will take exception to their inclusion.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:53 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Matt Gunsch wrote:
that covers every warbird that was built during WWII and still survives, just because it may not have seen combat, does not mean it did not serve.

There's truth in this.

Or to put it a different way, airplanes don't "serve." People serve. Machines are just built and used.

An airplane may have a more or less interesting history depending what it was used for. The line between what's interesting and what's not is personal and arbitrary. Some of us find almost everything interesting when it comes to airplanes.

August

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:10 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

August,

Quote:
airplanes don't "serve." People serve. Machines are just built and used.

You always have a nice spin on the words. Well appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 4:14 pm 

I can think of two, both in the colors they wore in anger. These not only exist but are still flying. P-51D Sierra Sue and P-47D Dottie Mae

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here's another...an airworthy P-51B with seven victories in its wartime markings.

https://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/s ... /42-106638

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My airplane ‘serves’ me well.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 7:04 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

How about the CAF's C-47, "That's all --- Brother". She was the lead ship for the D-Day invasion.

Cavanaugh Flight Museum's B-25 Mitchell, "How 'boot That", flew 44 combat missions. Not a flyer, but could be since she was restored to airworthy standards.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 9:22 pm 

K5DH wrote:
How about the CAF's C-47, "That's all --- Brother". She was the lead ship for the D-Day invasion.

Cavanaugh Flight Museum's B-25 Mitchell, "How 'boot That", flew 44 combat missions. Not a flyer, but could be since she was restored to airworthy standards.

They also have the P-51D mustang The Brat III.
"It was assigned to the 9th Air Force, 370th Fighter Group, 401st Fighter Squadron, and was flown by Lt. Hjalmar Johnsen. In June 1947 it was sold to the Swedish Air Force and served as Flygyapnet (FV) Serial No. 26115 based at F-4, Ostersund. Between 1952-53 it was sold to the Dominican Republic and served as Fuerza Aerea Dominica Serial No. 1918 until 1984 when it was retired from active service."

And, my mustang, which was assigned alongside The Brat III in all 3 Air Forces.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 4:45 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Matt Gunsch wrote:

100% agree: there is too much emphasis on 'combat', the corollary of which seems to be an inference that if your relative didn't see 'combat' they didn't serve. Going further, there are those who think that if you weren't a flyer in the AAF you didn't serve. Or didn't serve if you flew transports or liaison types.

Any aircraft that was built 80 or more years ago has a story to tell; it's the same for human beings!

Where's Milton when you need him?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 3:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Slightly different question: Which surviving World War II aircraft had the most missions? It has to be Flak-Bait with 202 to 216, right? Runner up would be the Lancaster in the Royal Air Force Museum, R5868, with 137 to 139?

As far as most significant? A bit subjective of course, but my vote would go for the SBD-2 in the National Naval Aviation Museum, BuNo 2106, Midway Madness:
National Naval Aviation Museum wrote:
The museum’s Dauntless is one of the most historically significant aircraft in the collection. It survived Pearl Harbor and attacked Japanese shipping in New Guinea while flying from USS Lexington (CV 2) on March 10, 1942. The lone remaining airplane to have participated in the Battle of Midway in June 1942, it returned from an attack against the Japanese fleet with over 200 bullet holes in its fuselage, the patches covering them still visible in places on the airplane.

(Source: National Naval Aviation Museum)

Full, 171 page, history and documentation for the interested: Dauntless in Peace and War

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 6:19 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

JohnB wrote:
Here's another...an airworthy P-51B with seven victories in its wartime markings.

https://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/s ... /42-106638

You mean the dataplate???