Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:29 pm 

Quote:
They do not have to wait for the FAA, once the inspection is done, a logbook entry is made stating that the AD had been complied with and the method, and the report sent to the FAA, all it takes to return it to service is the signature and certificate of the A&P doing the AD.
With the Eddy current inspection once it is done, they will receive a report from the NDT tech, if no flaws are found, per the AD, no further action is required. logbook entries and done.

The AD has the following language:
(2) On the left and right lower forward terminal fitting-to-spar chord joint assemblies, remove the most inboard fastener common to the spar cord and the terminal fitting, and do an eddy current bolt hole inspection on the steel terminal fittings and on the aluminum spar chord in accordance with procedures approved by the Manager, West Certification Branch, FAA.

Thus, the procedure used for the inspection has to be approved by the FAA prior to the inspection being accepted and signed off in order to comply with the AD. That is the holdup for getting Sentimental Journey on tour. At least that is how the Airbase Arizona CAF group is reading the AD.

And I see on the tour schedule updated today that the B-17 has now been dropped from the first two stops: ABQ and Fort Collins-Loveland. There remains hope it can pick up the tour at Rock Springs on June 6.

WIX Subscriber Since July 2017

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:41 pm 

For what it's worth, I also posted a compilation of information on what has occurred this week with the B-17 AD.

https://www.aerovintage.com/2023/05/25/b-17-ad-update-may-25-2023/

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:27 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

aerovin wrote:
(2) On the left and right lower forward terminal fitting-to-spar chord joint assemblies, remove the most inboard fastener common to the spar cord and the terminal fitting, and do an eddy current bolt hole inspection on the steel terminal fittings and on the aluminum spar chord in accordance with procedures approved by the Manager, West Certification Branch, FAA.

Thus, the procedure used for the inspection has to be approved by the FAA prior to the inspection being accepted and signed off in order to comply with the AD. That is the holdup for getting Sentimental Journey on tour. At least that is how the Airbase Arizona CAF group is reading the AD.
This reads more like an Alternate Means of Compliance (AMOC).

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:32 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

aerovin wrote:
Quote:
They do not have to wait for the FAA, once the inspection is done, a logbook entry is made stating that the AD had been complied with and the method, and the report sent to the FAA, all it takes to return it to service is the signature and certificate of the A&P doing the AD.
With the Eddy current inspection once it is done, they will receive a report from the NDT tech, if no flaws are found, per the AD, no further action is required. logbook entries and done.

And I see on the tour schedule updated today that the B-17 has now been dropped from the first two stops: ABQ and Fort Collins-Loveland. There remains hope it can pick up the tour at Rock Springs on June 6.

and guess what, Sentimental Journey was flying TODAY, after the inspections were done.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 11:07 pm 

I’m just relaying what information I have from someone in the AZ CAF who know what is going on. Presumably, the FAA is happy if the airplane is flying, or the CAF just flew it before the AD goes into effect. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

If anyone is interested, I happened to come across a copies of the General Maintenance Manual and Approved Aircraft Inspection Program for Yankee Lady the other day. (They're on a page on Regulations.gov.)

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:27 pm 

I got a text from a friend who crews Sentimental Journey and his information is that the FAA has approved their inspection and SJ will resume the tour this week.

CB

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:08 am 

Posts on Facebook and the UKAR forums confirm that the inspection work on G-BEDF 'Sally B' has been carried out, leaving the paperwork to be done now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:01 pm 

Archer wrote:
Posts on Facebook and the UKAR forums confirm that the inspection work on G-BEDF 'Sally B' has been carried out, leaving the paperwork to be done now.

I am not up to snuff on the UK requirements, so: Does the CAA have the same requirements for Sally B as the FAA AD does for US machines?

CB

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:10 am 

Clifford Bossie wrote:
Archer wrote:

I am not up to snuff on the UK requirements, so: Does the CAA have the same requirements for Sally B as the FAA AD does for US machines?

Yes, UK CAA just adopted the requirements of the FAA AD as published.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:49 pm 

Firebird wrote:
Clifford Bossie wrote:
Archer wrote:

Yes, UK CAA just adopted the requirements of the FAA AD as published.

Would you mind stating your source for this information as the UK CAA AD site does not show anything on the B-17 AD. Thanks. Just curious.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:52 am 

aerovin wrote:
Would you mind stating your source for this information as the UK CAA AD site does not show anything on the B-17 AD. Thanks. Just curious.

UK CAA have no need to do that, as there is only one airworthy B-17 in the UK, and as per the statements from the operators of Sally-B as already linked, they have been in close communication with CAA regarding the FAA AD and thus CAA have instructed inspection to the FAA AD which is what they have done, as per their issued statements.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:41 am 

Firebird wrote:
aerovin wrote:

UK CAA have no need to do that, as there is only one airworthy B-17 in the UK, and as per the statements from the operators of Sally-B as already linked, they have been in close communication with CAA regarding the FAA AD and thus CAA have instructed inspection to the FAA AD which is what they have done, as per their issued statements.

Okay, thanks for that. I try to glean out the best information and not just hearsay for my aerovintage.com website. The last information on the Sally B website is dated 5/23 and nothing is on their Facebook Page and there does not appear to be anything on the CAA pages so I guess I’m just not looking in the right places for the issued statements that actually mandates compliance with the FAA AD.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:37 pm 

A question for you B-17 mechanics. I guess the wing has to come off for this AD so how many hours does it actually take to pull the wing and fitting and reassemble it? It seems like that would be a heck of a job. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:58 pm 

lucky52 wrote:
A question for you B-17 mechanics. I guess the wing has to come off for this AD so how many hours does it actually take to pull the wing and fitting and reassemble it? It seems like that would be a heck of a job. Thanks.

No, the AD calls for one of two methods of compliance. One requires the wings be removed but seems more aimed at those aircraft where the wings are already removed as part of maintenance or restoration. The other method calls for the innermost bolt of the lower forward terminal-to-spar chord tube joint (innermost of eight bolts) be removed (on both right and left wings) and "and do an eddy current bolt hole inspection on the steel terminal fittings and on the aluminum spar chord in accordance with procedures approved by the Manager, West Certification Branch, FAA." The FAA estimated a total of 25 hours of labor to do this inspection per aircraft...that bolt is apparently difficult to remove and some other internal wing structure has to be removed to get to it, but much easier than removing wings. This option of bolt removal was the method done for the Sentimental Journey inspection and, evidently, the Sally B inspection. So, no, the wings do not need to be removed to comply with the the AD.

See here for the text of the actual AD: https://drs.faa.gov/browse/excelExternalWindow/FR-ADFRAWD-2023-10624-0000000000.0001