Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

... from my limited perspective anyway.

"Jim Sullivan, whom I would consider a friend I never met, was among the first of the best in Aviation photography and I'd like to share a much better perspective from Phillip Friddell, who happens to be quite an accomplished aviation master himself. http://replicainscale.blogspot.com/

"Jim Sullivan, a friend of mine for the past fifty years, passed away yesterday (5-13-23) after suffering a massive heart attack a few days ago. Jim was among the very first of the heavy hitters in the aviation photography community to contact Jim Wogstad and myself back in 1973, when we were struggling to birth the original print version of what was to become known as "Replica in Scale". Since that time he never failed to assist with photography, information, and insight. He shared his perspective, knowledge, and humor on many things over the years and was among the most unselfish people I've been privileged to know.

Jim's skill as an author and photographer is well known to anyone who reads these pages. He was a noted authority regarding Chance Vought's immortal F4U Corsair and published a number of books and magazine articles on the type, as well as on other Navy airplanes. He helped a great many other writers with their own projects as well and it's a rare title about American naval aviation that doesn't have a photo or two in it from Jim's collection.

He was one of those rare individuals who always gave and rarely asked anything for himself. He was a man of honor and integrity. He was generous, and he was kind. He was a gentleman and a devoted family man. He was a member of a rare and special breed, and he will be missed.

Blue skies, Amigo!"

All I can add is that Jim would not hesitate to reach out to me directly to 'educate me' on errors I would tend to make with my postings here on WIX and elsewhere. He was kind and considerate and always knew what he was talking about regarding aviation history.

Jim is a HUGE loss to the preservation and documentation of Military Aviation history and he was a fellow who carried the "torch" high and accurately for generations to come.

Jim will be missed dearly.

F4U-1A VMF-113 SWPAC ca 1944 "Mary Louise Inc" and "The Snorting Hog" USMC via Friddell

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Another of Jim's favorite's.

Lockheed F-4-1-LO Lightning 41-2217 salvaged in Australia Sep 26, 1944

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 9:58 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Those are indeed some cool images.

Thank you, Mr. Sullivan

Vaya Con Dios

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:05 pm 

My dad was an F4U-4 mechanic in the Marines for a few years. I picked up a copy of Mr. Sullivan's "F4U Corsair in Action" at the TN Museum of Aviation and was thumbing through it. I noticed this picture of a VMF-225 Corsair in it and excitedly called my dad and told him about it. He had told me about his trip to the Cleveland Air Show in 1947 before and how his squadron had some aircraft that were used for flight demonstration and that he had attended that show as he was a propeller man. Turns out, this picture shows the very plane that dad accompanied to that show, on final approach to Cleveland.

Attachment:
bu-96802_xs.jpg

I wrote to Mr. Sullivan c/o the publisher and a few weeks later he sent a great print of the picture and a few others from -225. That was my only contact with him but it was very meaningful and appreciated.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/donate.html