Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:42 am 

The Historic Flight Foundation's P-51B 42-106638 (N5087F) "Impatient Virgin" has come up for sale. I wonder if it is being sold to raise money to repair their Spitfire that was recently damaged in a landing accident?

Link: https://www.platinumfighters.com/invent ... nt-virgin/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:34 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

No, all of the aircraft registered to FWF Ltd, including the Spitfire, P-51B, B-25D, AT-6, DHC-2 Beaver and Travel Air 4000, are all being sold. It's not by Sessions' decision to sell.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:39 am 

JohnTerrell wrote:
No, all of the aircraft registered to FWF Ltd, including the Spitfire, P-51B, B-25D, AT-6, DHC-2 Beaver and Travel Air 4000, are all being sold. It's not by Sessions' decision to sell.

Why is that? Do you have any more information about this?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:50 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

According to court filings, those six aircraft are under power of receivership.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:53 am 

LegendaryWings wrote:
JohnTerrell wrote:

Why is that? Do you have any more information about this?

There is a whole lot more to the story and it will all come out in due time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had a meeting with Mr. Sessions on Thursday.
What is stated above is accurate.
Basically, the aircraft are at issue over a commercial real estate venture.

He is working to keep the aircraft and resume operations of the Historic Flight Foundation and museum.
In short, more legal actions are forthcoming, with a hearing scheduled for late August.

The HFF has been a real boon to the area, a great attraction and educational rescource. I would like to see it continue.

As one of the senior volunteers, I enjoy sharing the aircraft with the public and working with Sessions.
At any rate, he enjoys sharing the aircraft with the community, often leading school STEM classes himself. He is very much a "hands on" warbird owner and very much an aviation history buff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:31 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2023/ ... old-as-la/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, all true.
I understand the Spitfire has been sold "as is" and is headed to Australia. The B-25 is headed back to Europe.

Sessions told me he would like to retain a couple of the HFF aircraft, but given the recent ruling, that would entail buying them from the receiver.
I believe they will be in discussion about that.

The loss if the Mustang is unfortunate since it was one of the "stars" of the 12 aircraft collection, but Sessions had not personally flown it since his injury at Abbotsford a few years back. He did not feel comfortable with the brakes with his prosthetic lower leg. The Spitfire has hand brakes.
Over the past few years the Mustang was flown by friends for events (Nice work if you can get it).

He does have two aircraft that he personally (as opposed to the Foundation) recently acquired,
a Skyraider and the Wisconsin based Fairey Gannet which will be refurbished at Felts Field (in his own hangar, not the large HFF leased facility) and which is eventually supposed to return to the UK as a flyer for naval aviation group.

He also announced the purchase of another warbird....the PBY-6A project which has been under restoration at Moses Lake, Washington for several years.

He plans to open a new non-profit foundation/museum in 2024.

This turn of events is a real shame.
HFF was a popular local attraction, had a developing STEM program and a good sideline as an event center to help pay the bills.

Unlike many warbird owners, Sessions was very open about sharing his collection. No ropes separating visitors from the aircraft or vehicles, the DC-3 and B-25 were open for inspection.
HFF supported local charities by hosting fundraisers and special events (gave DC-3 flights to two loads of award winning Girl Scouts) did flyovers for veterans groups and the State Veteran's Cemetery on Armistice Day, and hosted the annual Challenge Air flight event for challenged children.

So, we will have to see what Historic Flight 2.0 looks like.

Last edited by JohnB on Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:50 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Yes, a real shame. I made several visits to the facility at Paine and always found the owner and staff most welcoming

What has happened to the Rapide? Has it been repaired after the unfortunate Abbotsford accident?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It has had some work done on it in Canada. Sessions has sourced some parts from the UK.
There was some talk of replacing some of the fuselage tubing which would be quite a job.

Last edited by JohnB on Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:22 pm 

I'm a little confused with the Gannet. Does John own it or Navy Wings in the UK? And if it does indeed come to the UK will ownership be transferred to them or will they operate it on his behalf?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:03 pm 

What Skyraider did Mr. Sessions acquire ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:33 pm 

MKD1966 wrote:

I think it was the former Kennet Aviation example that was based in the UK (126922/G-RADR).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:41 pm 

LegendaryWings wrote:
MKD1966 wrote:

I think it was the former Kennet Aviation example that was based in the UK (126922/G-RADR).

Thank you very much...
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

FuryFB11 wrote:
I'm a little confused with the Gannet. Does John own it or Navy Wings in the UK? And if it does indeed come to the UK will ownership be transferred to them or will they operate it on his behalf?

As I understand it, Sessions owns it. It s registered to a company he owns.

I don't know if Navy Wings will own it or perhaps a joint venture with Sessions.

I would imagine it will have to be on the US civil register to fly in the UK. That detail may also influence ownership.

In short, you ask good questions...and I do not have definitive answers.

Sessions is very excited about the project.

I have told him I think he's crazy considering the lack of support for the airframe and engine in the U.S., but he is a huge anglophile, and wants to get it airworthy. His museum/foundation had a policy of only airworthy aircraft, so I suspect his new organization will be similar. In any event, I hope it gets airworthy and returns to the UK as soon as possible. It needs to be in the UK where it would be appreciated.