Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: LATEST CLASSIC WINGS
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:32 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

All, latest issue should be posted out in the next week or so, main features as follows:

MUSTANG TWO-THREE

On Armistice Day 2023 at RNZAF Ohakea Air Force Base, New Zealand, P-51D Mustang, NZ2423, lifted off the runway with Squadron Leader Sean Perrett at the controls for what would be a 25 minute first flight following a three year restoration. On 30th May 1957 Flying Officer AJ McLeod flew 2423 off that very same airfield to RNZAF Base Woodbourne where it and her sisters were gathered for disposal. In this feature we take a look at this Mustangs remarkable journey of survival, escaping the scrap heap and missing becoming part of a racing hydroplane, prior to finding safe haven along with a large haul of parts on the property of John Smith, where it found itself in the company of several other treasures. Following John’s passing Brendon Deere, nephew of ace Alan Deere, purchased the aircraft and set about restoring it to airworthy condition, the goal to fly it alongside his Harvard, Spitfire and Avenger as part of the Biggin Hill Historic Aircraft Centre. Fortunately, aside from gas axed wings, the aircraft was structurally sound and is largely original, even flying with its factory fitted engine.

GIANTS OF THE SKY – THE CAPRONI BOMBERS

Prior to the Great War aircraft designer and innovator Gianni Caproni had envisioned multi-engine aircraft that would transport a load of bombs to an enemy target. Caproni directed all of his energy into the design of such a bomber, basing it on his ‘thinking big’ philosophy. In this he did not disappoint! It wasn’t long before Caproni’s bombers became an important and effective weapon deployed against the Austro-Hungarians. Here we look at the type’s development, combat operations and foreign use before focusing on the airworthy replica and the efforts to get it ready for the centenary of the Italian Air Force celebrations. Rounded out with details on the two survivors and an excellent recreation, the article features some impressive air to airs of an equally impressive aircraft.

MYSTERY AIRCRAFT – Curtiss/ Felixstowe Flying Boat

One of the most successful aircraft of the First World War, the Curtiss-Felixstowe series of flying boats can trace their origins back to a competition launched by the owner of the London Daily Mail in 1913. Aviation pioneer Glenn Curtiss designed and built a flying boat, christened it ‘America’ and chose ex Royal Navy officer John Cyril Porte as pilot. The outbreak of war halted the attempt but Porte convinced the RN to buy two of the Curtiss boats initially and several more followed, Porte all the while refining the hull and convinced the type would be what was needed to counter the U-Boat threat. Here we take a look at Porte’s design improvements as the type was built in the UK as well as the US, as well as operations, both military and post war civil. Unfortunately no complete examples survive but substantial sections are in store with the Smithsonian.

SALT AIR SUPER WIDGEON

The Widgeon's association with New Zealand began in 1950 with the formation of Amphibian Airways, the initial goal of the airline to fly from the lower South Island to Stewart Island, which at that time had no serviceable air strip. There was also the potential to service the numerous lakes, fiords and waterways. Our subject aircraft, ZK-CFA, was built 1946 and following two years in the US spent a decade in Cuba from 1949. Imported into NZ in 1963, the aircraft served with a number of airlines prior to being one of two acquired by the Harnish family and operated in the tourist travel role until 1996. Requiring some major maintenance it was withdrawn from service and stored, languishing in pieces until it was decided to return the Widgeon to the air as a PR aircraft for the company. This article provides an overview of the type, NZ operations and the return of CFA to the air some 25 years after its last flight.

Air show Roundup
Features events at Melun France, Reno USA, Tocumwal Australia & Wairarapa NZ.

I hope everyone has a great Festive Season and 2024 is a good and safe one all round. Many thanks for your support over the past year, it is most appreciated.
(Scott you never sent me your new postal address?)

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

Post subject: Re: LATEST CLASSIC WINGS
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:45 am 

Thanks Dave, look forward to reading it. That’s a stunning cover photo by the way.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:12 pm 
KiwiZac

That cover photo is magnificent - should be sold as a poster! Very excited to receive my copy.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:05 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Just in time for Christmas, thank you...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:47 am 

Any arrived in the Northern Hemisphere yet?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:50 am 

I will await the very slow Australian postal service to get mine. However I am looking forward to this one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:25 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Be a little while yet I would think, I just got mine a few days ago. Safe to say they are inbound...

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:52 am 

Ok thanks Dave.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:48 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

My copy arrived safely in the UK this morning

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:53 pm 

Got mine as well in UK this morning

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:32 am 

Thank you for your replies, mine arrived yesterday aswell. Seems like the post office doing a good job.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:50 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Mine arrived yesterday and yet another master piece...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:35 am 

I got mine about 2 weeks ago mate. So AusPost actually did something good for once.