Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Re: Earhart In The News
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:37 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Originally the crew was to be three with a radio operator/navigator named Harry Manning. He was on board when they wiped out in Hawaii. I wonder where his position in the fuselage was?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:20 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I assume that the radio operator would have been in the front next to Earhart. Noone was in the back because he was using a skylight for navigation.

They really needed that radio operator. Others have covered that Earhart was not as good a flyer as people assume, but her radio skills were much worse. She had no idea on standard operating procedures, a comment made by several of the people who were hearing her messages (what few of them that were heard) live. One interpretation (by Elgen M. Long) on the reason for the failure was that Howland was in a time zone 1/2 hour from the normal. She did not know this; Amelia's routine was to sent on the hour and receive on the half hour (if I have this right), but because she and her destination were operating on a half-hour difference, both were sending at the same time, and then both listening a half hour later. They were essentially stepping on each others signals. I think this interpretation rings true. A trained radio operator would have done the homework to know this ahead of time.

Amelia was also "changing channels" frequently, and some of the frequencies she was using were not working at all. Her last words in her last message were that she changing to another frequency. Elgen Long's interpretation was that in those few moments where she was changing the frequency, the fuel ran out, and she was certainly then too busy to fly and do radio work at the time.

As I said, she really needed that radio operator.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

old iron wrote:
I assume that the radio operator would have been in the front next to Earhart. Noone was in the back because he was using a skylight for navigation.

They really needed that radio operator. Others have covered that Earhart was not as good a flyer as people assume, but her radio skills were much worse. She had no idea on standard operating procedures, a comment made by several of the people who were hearing her messages (what few of them that were heard) live. One interpretation (by Elgen M. Long) on the reason for the failure was that Howland was in a time zone 1/2 hour from the normal. She did not know this; Amelia's routine was to sent on the hour and receive on the half hour (if I have this right), but because she and her destination were operating on a half-hour difference, both were sending at the same time, and then both listening a half hour later. They were essentially stepping on each others signals. I think this interpretation rings true. A trained radio operator would have done the homework to know this ahead of time.

Amelia was also "changing channels" frequently, and some of the frequencies she was using were not working at all. Her last words in her last message were that she changing to another frequency. Elgen Long's interpretation was that in those few moments where she was changing the frequency, the fuel ran out, and she was certainly then too busy to fly and do radio work at the time.

As I said, she really needed that radio operator.

A lot of this last leg smells badly of poor planning, and I suspect that this was a recurring theme during the whole flight. I’m not saying that as a criticism (not entirely, anyway) but so many things were not standardized in those days. Something as simple as everyone using GMT or Zulu time (Yes, I’m old) weren’t done. Earhart having an apparently thin knowledge of how her radios worked and what their capabilities were. Itasca not being able to take a bearing on her because she couldn’t transmit in the necessary frequency range. The battery powered, portable NDB for Howland that apparently got switched on about the time the Electra left Lae and was dead as a doornail by the time it was needed. It just makes you want to ask “Who the h-ll was in charge of this sh-t show?!?” But then, this was likely something of a first for everyone involved. I’ll bet there were many arguments on the ground whenever they stopped about “And who’s paying for this fuel? Who’s paying for the landing charges? Who’s paying for the hotel rooms?” I can hear it now.

If her airplane is found and if it is raised eventually it’ll be very interesting to see what all was installed in it for radio gear and what it actually was capable of.

I caught this last night. Fascinating stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrk7kDETyxs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:37 am 

Mark Sampson wrote:
It only makes sense that they ditched. I think the best description/analysis was by Horace Brock, in his memoir "Flying the Oceans". Brock was a Pan Am Clipper navigator and pilot, knew Fred Noonan, and was in Manila when Earhart and Noonan disappeared. He was certain (and who could know better?) that they got lost and ran out of fuel. I loaned out my copy of that fine book and will never see it again, so these are paraphrases.
"The navigation (mathematics) was not so difficult, but there was just one problem; You could never make a mistake."
And something like-
"The shadow of every cloud looked like an island."
Perhaps someone else here has a copy of that book and can provide the correct quotes... but there you have the sense of it.
I hope that someone does find the wreckage- and finally complete the tragic story.

Mark - I have a copy of the 3rd edition of Flying the Oceans and Earhart and Noonan are discussed on page 76-77 and 90-92. If you PM me I can send you a PDF scan of those pages.

Randy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:20 am 

Randy-
Thanks for your kind offer. Yesterday, though, I spoke with my old friend who indeed has that book and can put his hands on it; he will send it back to me. Since he is a corporate pilot with much experience, it was quite an eye-opener for him (as it was to me). So I don't need a pdf.
I get the distinct impression that Horace Brock was one tough SOB, and an excellent pilot and navigator; as I suppose you had to be in those dangerous days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:54 am 

Mark - I'm glad you located your copy. I agree that Brock comes across as a no-nonsense type. Interesting book. Anyone interested in the technical side of aviation instruments, etc. in the late 1930s would enjoy Through the Overcast; The Art of Instrument Flying by Assen Jordanoff, 1938, 356p. More about the author can be found here: https://www.aviationfile.com/assen-jordanoff-the-legendary-bulgarian-aviator/

Randy