Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:39 am 

There are still some for sale!
https://www.scramble.nl/military-news/t ... to-germany

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:58 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Would love to buy one. Condition of the wood would be a huge factor. They look nice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:29 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Neat little plane. Just stay out of the trees! :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbU7f1rv3dY

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:27 pm 

What a cool little aircraft. I don't know much about the Bu-181 series and its post-war derivatives. Does anyone know how much a flying variant is going for these days? What about a Gomhouria project - what would be an estimate on the price range?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:13 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Well, the Bucker Jungmann and Jungmeister designs are really nice so one would think this one would be even more delightful to fly. The others have tiny cockpits and this one may have a little more room and i more pleasant seating. Also has an American engine which is nice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:18 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

marine air wrote:
Would love to buy one. Condition of the wood would be a huge factor. They look nice.
Wouldn't worry about the wood too much, easier to redo than crunched sheet metal.

The listing I saw said something about prices starting at 20K USD.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:22 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Cvairwerks wrote:
marine air wrote:
Wouldn't worry about the wood too much, easier to redo than crunched sheet metal.

And probably double that to have one shipped here and reassembled? I'd be game to fly one if it was local!

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:35 pm 

RyanShort1 wrote:
Cvairwerks wrote:
marine air wrote:

And probably double that to have one shipped here and reassembled? I'd be game to fly one if it was local!

Yep, and therein lies the problem. I would love to have one, but I don't think it would be practical to ship it over and then restore/reassemble it. I'm guessing for the same cost, including restoration/IRAN/reassembly, you could probably buy an already airworthy Bu-181 variant somewhere in the States.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Seems like there is a lot of wood (wings and aft fuselage according to Wiki) ..not sure if I would be brave enough to buy one sight unseen.
On top of that, you have a center section made out of steel tubing which might harbor corrosion.
Then, even if it has a supportable engine and prop, you might not have any idea where important items like wheels and brakes came from or what would be adequate replacements (wheels and brakes are a big issue with many antiques....even many more common types. Many times different parts need to be adapted due to either no supplies of the originals or they were inadequate to begin with).

Then, you might need new instruments, and obviously modern radios .

Are there Logs and manuals included, if so in what language?

They sound like fun, but remember, buying, restoring and operating one won't be like owning a Cessna or fabric Piper with plenty of parts vendors and club support.

And the owners of old Cessnas might tell you they aren't necessarily easy to restore either! :)

As previously mentioned, Bucker Jungmanns and Jungmeisters have a great reputation and are sought after (a friend owns a Jungmann with a modern engine), but I don't know if these have the same desirability to make importing and restoring one a economically viable proposition.

But if you want to round out your German warbird collection, go for it.

BTW...remember the one in "The Great Escape"?