Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:13 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

For what it's worth, I don't think the thread title is ridiculous or baiting or in any way wrong. In fact, when I saw it, my mind went right to the place where the thread was supposed to go. This is just my opinion, and it's not up for debate. I respect everyone else's opinions on the subject, although I might not agree with them. We're all entitled to our opinions. 'nuff said on that subject.

As for whether it's right or wrong, I feel that firing on an aircraft in the landing pattern when it's particularly vulnerable is a viable, valid tactic. War is war, and it ain't pretty. The idea is to take out the opponent's aircraft, thus potentially saving the lives of those on your side. The landing pilot, while at a big disadvantage, is not truly defenseless -- as a shot-down airman swinging from a 'chute is -- because the pilot can still maneuver his aircraft and potentially take evasive action. Again, just my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:31 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

K5DH wrote:
For what it's worth, I don't think the thread title is ridiculous or baiting or in any way wrong. In fact, when I saw it, my mind went right to the place where the thread was supposed to go.

Same here.

I really appreciate a great discussion with thoughtful input. The scenario of shooting at an enemy pilot who was obliged to bail out over enemy territory after having shot down a bomber with ten of 'our guys' aboard, who could well be coming right back up to do it again the next day, never occurred to me. This has been a great thread, thanks all.

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:11 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Pogo wrote:
K5DH wrote:
For what it's worth, I don't think the thread title is ridiculous or baiting or in any way wrong. In fact, when I saw it, my mind went right to the place where the thread was supposed to go.

Same here.

I really appreciate a great discussion with thoughtful input. The scenario of shooting at an enemy pilot who was obliged to bail out over enemy territory after having shot down a bomber with ten of 'our guys' aboard, who could well be coming right back up to do it again the next day, never occurred to me. This has been a great thread, thanks all.

Here is Richard Peterson's story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9dMDu6 ... ionHistory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=norNcyKMZ-A

I have a treasured signed photo of his that was given my by one of my father's past employer's who was a WWII veteran and fellow architect and friend of Peterson's along with a model of his plane, "Hurry Home Honey."

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Xray wrote:
I'm not the only one who thought the thread title was ridiculous, I'm sure most did but were/are too intimidated by your online bully persona to say anything, worried about a vulgar hissy fit directed at them like you pulled on me.
I am guessing you are prone to road rage, and flying off the handle if a waitress doesn't get you your glass of water on time, you should try to control your aggressive impulses for your own good, and accept the fact that not everyone thinks like you 24/7.

You have had dozens of posts where I did not say a single thing, one recently I even gave you props and thanked you for, so lets drop this fiction that I am just here to pester you and set you off - Anyone can see who exactly it was who flew off the rails on a tangent here for little or no reason. So yeah, maybe a self imposed time out is exactly what you need, adios.

You're unreal pal, you haven't the faintest idea who I am and you never will. I've contributed more interesting threads in a week then you ever attempted since you've joined this forum.

Ever since you showed up on this forum you've been nothing but a pain in the ass and a scumbag troll. Literally every thread you've posted in you've left snide and insulting remarks about anything and everything. You've pissed off warbird owners, who have left for good, members, who have left, researchers and historians, who no longer post here because of losers like you, because you're incapable of anything remotely close to constructive criticism and you think you're right about everything while accusing others of being right about everything.

It's clowns like you who make great contributors post "screw you" and leave this forum for good. You're not an asset to this forum and you never have been and I'd go find your Bullsh*t trolling posts and post them here, but I wouldn't give you anymore of my time beyond this post. Anyone can do a search on you and see just what a total loser you really are. Why your here posting on WIX is a mystery because you have nothing to share, no real warbird experience, nor are you interesting to read. You're simply a classic internet scumbag troll and it's a POS like you who ruin the experience of having interesting and informative threads about warbirds and history. You're what makes these internet forums the eventual trash they end up becoming.

Among all the rest of your BS. You try to twist you personality disorder problems away from you and onto anyone who will put up with it. You haven't fooled anyone, you have serious problems and it's painfully evident the way you post your garbage attacking anyone and anything you can, only to try to make your pitiful self feel better. You're a nickel a dozen dude. And you'd be the last POS I'd worry about sending me off into retirement from WIX.

And if you think for a second you can come to this forum and intimidate me or scare me off, you're even more clueless than you usually are. That thread years ago about your infatuation with your cult leader was enough to prove your lack of smarts and overabundance of cluelessness. Like I stated before, you belong over on truth social or some conspiracy theory forum that will allow you to troll and insult and rant and rage about all the garbage that appeals to dopes like you. This forum is way over your head and simple mind.

You need your *SS KICKED DUDE!!! ... so for your sorry sake I hope you never run face to face with me. :evil:

So go take a hike yourself jack*ss and go troll somewhere else.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:33 pm 

Mark Allen M wrote:
Xray wrote:
I'm not the only one who thought the thread title was ridiculous, I'm sure most did but were/are too intimidated by your online bully persona to say anything, worried about a vulgar hissy fit directed at them like you pulled on me.
I am guessing you are prone to road rage, and flying off the handle if a waitress doesn't get you your glass of water on time, you should try to control your aggressive impulses for your own good, and accept the fact that not everyone thinks like you 24/7.

You

I'll cut you off while you are still making sense, don't have time for your girly rants, you are an infantile drama queen - You got no idea who I am either bitch so careful what you wish for - Figures, you say you are done and outta here but next day here you are again like a infected wart, spewing your bs again, so much for conviction.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:57 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Can you two keep this off of WIX... please?

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

RyanShort1 wrote:
Can you two keep this off of WIX... please?
[/quote]
There’s a lot of bullsh*t going on in this thread and still no moderators in sight. This TROLL needs to be booted and everyone else needs to butt out because all you do is egg on these idiots!!!. Move on to some other thread. This one will get shut down soon enough and hopefully this clown with be gone too.

Stop making it worse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:22 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for posting these interesting threads Mark - please keep up the good work!

Last edited by quemerford on Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:45 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Xray wrote:
I'm not the only one who thought the thread title was ridiculous,
Yes you are,

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

speaking Korea, Bob Love (6 Migs) and Cliff Jolley (7 Migs) flew together and went north of the Yalu to hit them as they came back to their base. as the fighter pilots say, a kills a kill.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm 

During 1945, a noteworthy accomplishment of the Tempest was the scoring of a number of kills against the new German jets, including the Messerschmitt Me 262. Hubert Lange, a Me 262 pilot, said: "the Messerschmitt Me 262's most dangerous opponent was the British Hawker Tempest — extremely fast at low altitudes, highly manoeuvrable and heavily armed."

Some Me 262s were destroyed using a tactic known to 135 Wing as the "Rat Scramble"; Tempests on immediate alert took off when an Me 262 was reported to be airborne. They did not directly intercept the jet, but instead flew towards the Me 262 and Ar 234 base at Rheine-Hopsten. The aim was to attack jets on their landing approach, when they were at their most vulnerable, travelling slowly, with flaps down and incapable of rapid acceleration. The Germans responded by creating a "flak lane" of over 150 of the Flakvierling quadruple 20 mm (.79 in) AA batteries at Rheine-Hopsten, to protect the approaches.After seven Tempests were lost to anti-aircraft fire at Rheine-Hopsten in a single week, the "Rat Scramble" was discontinued. For a while, in March 1945, a strict "No, repeat, No ground attacks" policy was imposed; this only applied for a few days.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Remember, picking on a disadvantage opponent goes both ways.
I was just reading about a OA-10 (AAF PBY) rescue aircraft that landed in the North Sea to pick up a Mustang pilot on March 31, 1945...so 79 years ago this week.
The aircraft was 44-33915, "Miss Pick up" of the 5th ERS.

It had an engine issue and couldn't take off.
However it was straffed and destroyed by a Me-262.
I don't know what casualties were incurred among the rescue crew or Mustang pilot.

It was less of a threat and in a more vulnerable state than any Me-262 in the landing pattern.

Any outrage or hand wringing about that?
Just asking? :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

deleted

Last edited by quemerford on Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 pm 

During the Battle of Britain, Luftwaffe Red Cross marked He59 and Do18 seaplanes were initially left alone by the RAF to allow them to rescue airmen floating in the English Channel. However, some of these aircraft were observed to be shadowing British convoys and as such were considered to be operating outside of their official role, so it was ordered that such aircraft were to be shot down, despite their Red Cross markings.

https://www.battleofbritain1940.net/document-25.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

One could argue that shooting up locomotives, and trains, was worse, but also probably more effective at stopping war materials from moving quickly. War is not fun and games.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next