Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Flug Werk Fw-190A flies
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:13 pm 
:D Just heard that Claus Colling's Flug Werks sucessfully flew their Fw-190A.

Post subject: Woohoo!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I've been waiting with bated breath for that one to leave the ground. I hope this is the prelude to seeing the US-based examples completed.

Now where are those 1st flight photos! 8)

http://www.robmears.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:23 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

There's video of the first flight at Flugwerk's website! Really terrific news! Congratulations Flugwerk!

Richard

http://www.flugwerk.de/new/diary/diary.shtm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:56 pm 

After the long wait to see this event finally take place I anticpated watching the video with a kind of anti-climactic feeling, seeing how it was 'just' a quick hop. Upon viewing it, and seeing that menacing shape at long last taking flight, it sent chills down my spine. What a glorious accomplshment. Hopefully this will open up the flood gates to get a few more of them flying. I can't wait to see one (or more..)... BRING IT ON!!! :0) Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:46 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Maybe we can get it flying top cover for the new 262 :D

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:51 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

RMAllnutt wrote:
There's video of the first flight at Flugwerk's website!

I guess you could call that a flight... 'Bout as long as the Wright brother's first one? :-)

What about this bit of news:

Quote:
Flug Werk is receiving two reasonably intact Me 109's at the end of November '04. An "F" as well as an "E"-model. Both aircraft will be restored to airworthiness and the "Friedrich" will form the engineering basis for the rebirth of new Messerschmitt airframes. Along with the exclusive possibility to power the 109's with all new DB 601 engines, Flug Werk has now the opportunity to revive another very important fighter aircraft of German WII fame. We will report about the project on this as well as on the dedicated Me 109 page in our website in due course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:29 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Yeah, the "exclusive possibility to power the 109s with all new DB601 engines" part is what I'm aching to find out more about. Any chance these guys ended up with that cache of engines unearthed in Germany a couple years back??

http://www.robmears.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:57 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Rob

No they didn't, in any case there wasn't a possibility they could be made airworthy after 60 years buried.
Flugwerk received several crated DBs 'found' in Eastern Europe.... where, and how many exactly, I haven't heard .

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:28 am 
Rob Mears wrote:
Yeah, the "exclusive possibility to power the 109s with all new DB601 engines" part is what I'm aching to find out more about. Any chance these guys ended up with that cache of engines unearthed in Germany a couple years back??

If you mean the ones from Frankfurt airport, then oddly enough I was talking to a wreck hunter about that this morning (I live near Frankfurt). He had a lot of photos and the motors were in a pretty sorry state, sad to say. the interesting thing was, that he said there were only 13 officially found, but it was actually more like 20! The others disappeared for "beer money"!

He was telling me about a few of the crash sites in the area. There is a Lancaster about three villages away from here! He has a small museum. I´ll tell more when I´ve been to visit.

Post subject: 190 flies
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:23 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

A "hop" maybe...but a Wurger with daylight beneath its wheels for the first time since, I'd guess, Turkey in the late 40s...what a sight. Congrats to the entire FlugWerk operation.

...Now to see one of these arrive low and fast at Geneseo, finished in Oscar Boesch's markings...

:-)

S.