Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:39 am

hi peter, it would be great to see whatever pics you have of either example. it seems from what i have seen that both planes were in similar condition so it would be interesting to get a perspective on both. i still cant get over just how much work it must have been to bring this plane back to something recognisable!! it sure says something about peoples passion and determination. :shock: cheers, sim.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:43 am

peter, i tried the link that i provided again and it seemed to work fine for me. maybe try just entering the url manually? ive never heard of active x so im pretty sure that i dont have it on my computer. not much info on the hampden though anyway. good luck ! sim.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:47 am

Here's a shot of the ongoing restoration of the East Kirkby example, taken late last year. I'll post some more when I get home this evening.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:51 pm

Sim,

A few more shots of the Vancouver Hampden - P5436

This was by far the worst condition of the two by virtue of the extensive seawater corrosion.

PeterA

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:58 pm

Any idea what (if anything) they did to neutralize the corrosion after the recovery?

Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:22 pm

...and here some more shots of P1344.

Firstly at the recovery point in the Murmansk region.

airlifted by helicopter

and again at the layout point in the UK

and finally a very poignant moment. Jim Robertson inspects the aircraft that his father was killed in when he was just a toddler, nearly fifty year after the event. It was very special... for all of us.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:06 pm

those are fantastic pics peter!!! thanks very much for posting them! sim.
Post a reply