Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Tuesday at OSH
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi All,

I'm sure photos will be getting posted shortly by someone more gifted than I in that area. The warbird turnout is already fairly good for this early in the week. I was surprised to find five B-25's (Old Glory, Lady Luck, Devil Dog, Betty's Dream, Pacific Prowler) and four Wildcats (CAF's with British paint, ex-Dick Hansen F4F-3, Cavanaugh's, and Rudy Frasca's--which is sporting a new paint job) already on the field. Two -5 Corsairs (Jim Reid's and Collings), a pair of Avengers, Butch Schroeder's P-47, Spitfire, Helldiver, B-17's "Fuddy Duddy" and "Thunderbird", CAF's JU-52, several C-47's, and the usual mass of Mustangs, Trojans, and Texans. No-shows (as of Tue.) were Kermit's TP-40N, LSFM F6F and SBD, and Max Chapmann's "new" P-51C. Rumor was that the Chapmann Mustang was to arrive late Tuesday--it hadn't arrived by the time I left at 4:30.

The Colling's F4U-5 must be seen to be appreciated...the photos on the web just don't do it justice. :prayer:

Sorry for the rambling...it's been a long day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:58 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Dan, thanks for the update and keep them coming. I had a friend call me from the Warbird area telling me what was there and what wasn't-- ME...

Cheers,

Lynn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just returned from Oshkosh and I wanted to add that Thunderbird's new paint job looks great! I thought it was strange not seeing the usual F-16's, F-15's and A-10's which usually are in the Aeroshell display area. The military did fly in the gigantic C-5 (General Tibbetts was signing books and photos under the starboard wing) and a C-130. During the flying portion of the show one of the Corsairs, the Spitfire, a couple of Mustangs and the CAF's Wildcat made so many passes I lost count. I had a chance to me Rudy Frasca. What a nice guy! I also met and purchased a book from LtCdr Everett C Hargreaves who was an "Ace in a Day" flying Hellcats. What a gentleman! Finally the weather cooperated by giving us a perfect day! I am looking forward to next year when they commemorate the 60th anniversary of the end of the war. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pat, too bad I didn't know you were there on Tuesday. Are you planning on coming back up later in the week?

I know that Steve Dennis, Bryan Darnell, and a few others are arriving at OSH tomorrow, but since there's no warbird airshow on Thursday, I'm planning to be back on the grounds first thing Friday.

If any WIXers are interested, a few of us are planning to meet at Graham Orphan's booth (10:30-ish a.m. in Exhibition Building C, site #3078). I think a few folks will also want to catch Tex Hill's and Dick Hansen's presentation on the P-40 that afternoon.

The first (and probably the second through twelfth as well) post-show brewskies will be hoisted in memory of those WIXers unable to attend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Unfortunately I will not be able to go back this year. Have a good time on Friday and let us know which other planes show up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:46 am 
This is the best showing of warbirds in quite a few years and keeps getting better, I just got a call to say a Spanish built Me109 was taxying in - don't know who it belongs to sorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:13 am 

20 Mustangs here including the TP-51C. One P-40, One P-47, Four Corsairs, One SB2C Helldiver, Four Wildcats, Three TBMs, One Spitfire, 1 Sea Fury, One Skyraider, One Ju-52, Six B-25s - Barbie III arrived yesterday. Three TBMs. Two B-17s. Tom Woods Bearcat.

Buchon? What Buchon? I haven't seen that one.

Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:22 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

If the 109 in question is tan with a white spinner,,,,,its the CAF's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:02 pm 

Hey all, I just got back from Oshkosh. It was a great turnout this year and had a fantastic line up. It was really great to FINALLY get to see CAF's Helldiver SB2C. Very Nice! :P The ME-109 was based out of California. Steve D. can give you more information on it than I can. I was glad they put it up in the air on Sunday for about three passes that was impressive. It was really great to get together and meet some WIX members like Dan K. Ron W. John B. and Brian D. The only thing I was pretty disappointed in was that the B-17 "Fuddy Duddy" EAA had stationed at Appelton for rides. They never really even brought her in for the crowd to get close to :x . Oh, well at least she also made a couple of passes for the crowd. They probably did that because they know how much I drool on things.

Oh, and I just have to add "Daddy's Girl" P-51 and the P-51C were gorgeous. Hubba Hubba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave D.