Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

China Lake Range Wrecks (Hellcat, B-29's, Skyray, etc.)

Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:38 pm

http://www.chinalakealumni.org/index.htm

Under the heading, "NWC/VX-5/VX-9 photos" look at, "Relics," "Wrecks," & "B-29's." Also look under the heading, "Facilities photos."

My wife already yelled at me for spending so much time on the internet, so you know it must be a good site. I bet if Rob sees this, he won't post for a week!
===============================
Update... Looks like Kiwi Dave already posted the link. :oops:

Still worth looking at again though!

Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:00 pm

Very interesting! I new there was an assortment of B-29s out there in the past, but I wonder what is left of all that today.
I also would like to knonw if all of the Hellcat remains have been removed.

Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:45 pm

Chuck Gardner wrote:Very interesting! I new there was an assortment of B-29s out there in the past, but I wonder what is left of all that today.

My understanding is that all the complete B-29's have been removed and what remains is essentially residue.

Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:22 pm

bdk wrote:My understanding is that all the complete B-29's have been removed and what remains is essentially residue.

That's what the Navy claimed before Doc was recovered from China Lake. Is it truly empty of B-29s now, or is this their most recent claim?

Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:28 pm

Hi,

The United States Aviation Museum aquired the last B-29 (DOC) several years ago and is having her restored to flying status and welcomes donations to help with the expenses.

For the 1980 released Disney movie, "The Last Flight of Noha's Ark", Disney "borrowed" -2- B 29 airframes. One was flipped over on her back and waterproofed for the "Ark" . I recall reading in an Air Classics that Disney was supposed to return the airframes when they were finished with the movie but for some reason the waterproofed one was left on location.

TTFN....Kenn
Post a reply