Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:54 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I just returned from a twelve day trip to Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Guam, The Philipines, Indonesia, Singapore, Maylaysia, Cambodia, Thailand, Burma, and Hawaii.

Here is some of what I saw that might be of interest to yall.

Japan: F-86 on a pole at Yokota AB

Korea: Nothing, but I did get a good deal on a new back pack!

Hong Kong: Nothing, but my C-17 sure looked cool sitting amongst all the airliners.

Guam: Didn't see the Mig 15 that was there a couple of years ago, or the C-46 that has been sitting at the Airport for many years. The Corsair is still on the Navy base and looking pretty bad. The B-29 is still visible off the left side of the North Runway.

Manila airport: A couple of C-47's.

Jakarta, Indonesia: Three C-47's, T-34C

Singapore: Didn't make it to the museum, but saw it from the crew bus. T-33, Hunter, Strikemaster, A-4, F-5, and a few other things.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: C-47

Phnom Pehn, Cambodia: Lots of AN-12's and Mi-18's

Bangkok, Thailand: Royal Thai Air Force Museum, F8F, A1-H, C-123, Spitfire, SB2C, lots of other beautiful airplanes. The Tiger Squadron has their Spitfire based there, along with ten or fifteen other airplanes. Visited with the Museum director, he's a very nice guy and dedicated to preserving their aviation heritage.

Chiang Mai, Thailand: F-86 on a pole, Lots of flying L-39's, Lots of flying T-28's, a couple of C-47's, two T-6's, a mess of L-19's and a few other things also belonging to the Tiger Squadron. Their F8F was supposed to be in one of their Hangers.

Rangoon, Burma: Possibly the remains of a C-47 over in the weeds, lots of AN-12's.

In the July 30, 2004 "Bangkok Post" news paper I found:
"Beiijing--A World War II era American fighter plane that crashed in China more than 60 years ago is set to be salvaged next year in the hope of getting it flying again, state media said yesterday. The P-40 fighter plunged into Dianchi Lake in southwestern Yunnan province on April 38, 1942, killing htepilot. Painted with shark's teeth an dnicknamed the Flying Tigers, the P-40's belonged to the 300-strong American Volunteer Group under the command of retired US Army Air COrps Captain Claire Lee Chennault, said Zinhua news agency."