Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Owls Head Fly-in
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:06 pm 

I attended the Owls Head Transportation Museum's air and transportation event on Saturday. Unfortunately the Collings Corsair and an unknown P-51 were unable to make it. If you read this Ryan K, any thoughts as to what happened? All the museum people knew was that it was grounded in Detroit. But the day wasn't a total wash as the museum flew their collection of antique and replica pre-WWII aircraft, including a formation flyover of a SPAD, Sopwith Camel and an SE-2. Also in flying was an early 30's Waco an original Standard, a PT-17, a T-6 and a Harvard MK IV in RCAF markings. Two unannounced visiters were a Beaver on floats and the Sikorski S-39. What a beautifull aircraft(the Beaver, too! I missed its arrival(ducked into the hangers at exactly the wrong time. I was able to get some nice closeups and hopefully a couple of in flights as it flew out(I hung around 2hrs longer then planned to see his departure) with the Waco on his wing, both of which flew with the National Air Tour last year. Also , there were several demonstration/aerobatic flights, with Dan McQue and his L-39 being the only jet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:48 am 

Hi Don! The story was that the pilot brought the Corsair into Willow Run as there was some nasty weather out your way and he couldn't get around it. He was to depart the next morning, but the weather here was terrible, and he couldn't get out. He was comminted to flying the Cavanaugh Wildcat at our show, and so couldn't leave with it on Friday. We really lucked out at your expense in having such a beautiful, yet unexpected Corsair in our lineup. Dale Snodgrass took it up Sunday for an air-to-air shoot and when he came back made some (many) excellent photo passes before landing. Sorry it didn't make it to your event, but we were sure glad to have it. Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:09 pm 

Ah, the luck of the draw! That 's okay though, I've got two more chances this fall! Thanks for the info, Jim.