Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:33 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

On Saturday, May 12, 2007, the B-29/B-24 Squadron will be hosting a fly-in at the Commemorative Air Force main hangar, Midland International Airport, to officially "unveil" the B-24A Liberator (formally known as Diamond Lil), after this winter's transformation from it's transport configuration back into a bomber. There is no way that our Squadron could host an actual airshow, nor will we be able to make it as grand an event as any of the other wonderful flyins and gatherings that will take place throughout the upcoming year. However, we just thought that since the Liberator often times gets the back seat to the B-29, this would be great time to let it shine for a moment.

So what we'd like to do is to invite any and all aircraft with a twin tail arrangement. This could range from Ercoupes to O-2's, from Beech 18's to B-25's, or Electras to Harpoons. Heck, if a P-38, AirTruk, C-119, or even the ellusive flying Twin Mustang flew in, that would be great too. :lol: I'd like to even extend the olive branch and invite the Collins Foundation and their B-24. Either way, anything with more than one tail arrangement is invited.

This will be a one day event and a basic fly in. No real frills, just the ol' "$100 hamburger" (or more, depending on what you fly in). We will have at least burgers and hot dogs for lunch and discounted fuel (don't know how much yet) for fly in participants. The general public will also be invited to come and see the airplanes and the unveiling of our Liberator after this winter's transformation.

This is an idea I've had for many months now, but am still nervously working out the details. I would love to see all of those on the WIX website come out and join in on the fun. Perhaps a WIX gathering as well? I dunno. Anyway, y'all don't laugh at me too much with this idea. It may work out to be a great day of flying and airplane rides, or it may be a huge flop. I just had to start somewhere and thought this was a good place to mention it first.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to ask me on this thread or PM me.

Gary Austin
Crew Chief, B-29/B-24 Squadron
Commemorative Air Force

Last edited by retroaviation on Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:57 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sounds like fun, but for me would be more like the $1000 burger. Maybe I'll start saving pennies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:01 pm 

The High Sky Wing will be there to do whatever....no twin tails in our fleet but we'll be on the ramp....We can do hamburgers, etc...
Old Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:26 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Old Shep wrote:
The High Sky Wing will be there to do whatever....no twin tails in our fleet but we'll be on the ramp....We can do hamburgers, etc...
Old Shep

I was going to get with y'all on that, but you beat me to it. :oops:

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:54 pm 

Gary,

Laugh at your idea? Heck, I think it's a great idea. The small event's like this tend to be more profitable and are certainly a lot less hassle and headache to pull off than an all out show. Just last week we elected to cancel our "Big" show this year and to back fill in its place, we are seriously thinking about a small event, like the one you described. Best of luck organizing it...if'n ya do it early enough, Ms. Mitchell will still be down there for rotation...she's headed your way in the very near future.

By the way, I can't remember if I told you what a grat job you're doing with Ms. Lillian and of course FiFi. Keep it up!!! I'm going to Wahp this weekend to smash a bunch more rivets on the C model myself!

John

Post subject: ???
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:06 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Gary,
I hope yoiu have as much fun has we did at our twin tailed gathering!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:59 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Well, I'm obviously hoping for a big turnout. I do want to make sure though, that in no way was this a "copycat" idea of the Gathering of B-25's that Yankee is doing next year. I know that those guys have worked their tails off (no pun intended :) ) to have a great turnout. I've been thinking about this motif for a fly in for a while now, and it just so happens that the B-25 fits in the "twin tails" category. :)

But as for that picture...I'd love to see something like that here, but with all of the different types. :shock:

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:55 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Just going through the spectrum of twin tail'd aircraft.

Perhaps even a few F-15s and F-18s might like to attend.

Maybe Randy might have some influence on this.:D Well atleast the F-15 part.

Who knows there might be some F-18 drivers that lurk on WIX.

Shay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:10 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

We already have an F-14 here. :D But if you can talk Randy into bringing the F-15 by, that would be welcome too. :wink:

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:27 pm 

Gary,

Would Mohawk fit into this category, or is it just for "twos" and not "threes"?

And does a V-tail Bonanza count?

:?

Julian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:56 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Hmmm, good questions. I would say that the Mohawk definitely should fit in since it has at least twin tails. Plus it's just way cool! Let's just call it two or more tails to qualify. :)

Frankly, I reckon just about anyone would be welcome to fly in. It's just that I thought it would be cool to have the two (or more) tailed aircraft gather around as we pulled our big ol' two tailed beast out of the hangar.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:39 pm 

When the US Army was operating the OV-1's, they would only let commissioned officers fly them, Warrant Officers weren't allowed to fly them.

Do you know why?

The Army didn't figure that a Warrant could handle three pieces of tail that close together.......

haha haha :D :D :D

note: edited for the 'nerd

Last edited by skymstr02 on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:56 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

skymstr02 wrote:
When the US Army was operating the OV-10's, they would only let commissioned officers fly them, Warrant Officers weren't allowed to fly them.

Do you know why?

The Army didn't figure that a Warrant could handle three pieces of tail that close together.......

haha haha :D :D :D

The OV-10 has two tails, the OV-1 has three...
And I'm 99% sure the Army did not operate the Bronco

Sorry it that seems like picking nits, but as the stepson of USMC OV-10 FAC I can't help myself... :oops: