Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: SNV-1, T-28A
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:27 am 
Mike,

I am almost certain the SNV-1 that Bruce Koch had at "Thunder Over Michigan" as "California Girl" is N61916 and not N70030. I will check this when I get home tonight.

Also, I believe the T-28A in South Vietnamese colors that Jim Church mentioned is "Littl' Jugs", "AK", 50-221, NX221LH and registered to Trojan LLC which I believe to be Larry Hoffmeister.

Todd

Post subject: Re: SNV-1, T-28A
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:43 am 
S/N Geek

toddhackbarth wrote:
I am almost certain the SNV-1 that Bruce Koch had at "Thunder Over Michigan" as "California Girl" is N61916 and not N70030. I will check this when I get home tonight.

I certainly will never dig in my heels and suggest I am never wrong... as I have been publicly proven wrong before. :oops: :wink:

However... I just rechecked the registration for N70030 and it is a Valiant registered to Bruce R. Koch. Here is what I have on this one including the most recent FAA info...

Model: Vultee BT-13 Valiant
S/N: 42-42552 USAAF
C/N: 9630
C/R: N70030, BT-13, 9630
Owner: Bruce R. Koch
Codes: "California Girl", "71", "12614"
History: BT-13A (1943) 42-42552 USAAF, N70030

Now is it possible that Mr. Koch owns more than one valiant. I am assuming that c/n 9630 is in fact "California Girl". I have made bad assumptions before.

toddhackbarth wrote:
Also, I believe the T-28A in South Vietnamese colors that Jim Church mentioned is "Littl' Jugs", "AK", 50-221, NX221LH and registered to Trojan LLC which I believe to be Larry Hoffmeister.

Thanks for this info Todd. I will assimilate the info into the list.

I just sent an email to those that were interested in a draft. I'll add you to the distribution Todd, and send an update with the new info tomorrow.

Regards,

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject: SNV-1 N61916
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:39 am 
Mike,

Of course N61916 is also registered to Mr. Koch, as an SNV-1. I remember the pilot/plane information sheet that he filled out at the Grosse Ile Airshow stated that his plane was one of the very few SNVs still flying. N70030 is registered as a BT-13 and your data has it as a BT-13A 42-42552.

Airliners.net has a photo of the plane listed under N61916.

If I remember correctly, I had listed this airplane as N70030 on my early versions of my 2003 "Thunder Over Michigan" Air Display Aircraft Listing. Perhaps this is where N70030 entered the mix.

I will check my files tonight.

Todd

Post subject: Re: SNV-1 N61916
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:19 pm 
S/N Geek

toddhackbarth wrote:
Of course N61916 is also registered to Mr. Koch, as an SNV-1. I remember the pilot/plane information sheet that he filled out at the Grosse Ile Airshow stated that his plane was one of the very few SNVs still flying. N70030 is registered as a BT-13 and your data has it as a BT-13A 42-42552.

Airliners.net has a photo of the plane listed under N61916.

Good thing I never claim I am never wrong! :lol:

Will make the appropriate changes to the list.

Mike

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:47 pm 
Aerial Pirate

As I was standing right next to the SNV, I copied the tail number N61916 directly off the right side of the plane. Bruce Koch has two BT's on the books.

I also copied the AD-5 tail number off the plane, and that one Mike is correct on, it is N39147 (no X anymore)

Although it was just a visitor on Friday, missing from your list is a Waco UPF-7 registered as NC 3015, does it count? (Should I tell Mike about the T-34 that was there on Friday also, in RCAF markings?shhhhhh) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:11 am 
S/N Geek

Roger Cain wrote:
Although it was just a visitor on Friday, missing from your list is a Waco UPF-7 registered as NC 3015, does it count? (Should I tell Mike about the T-34 that was there on Friday also, in RCAF markings?shhhhhh) :wink:

Oh you are mean! :) Give me the details on the other T-34. I'll put it on the list for the sake of completeness.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:52 am 
Mike,

The T-34 that Roger is referring to is N344SG. You can see a photo of it at: http://www.airliners.net/open.file/175228/M/

Yes, it did have the canopy cover with the Canadian registration of C-FMDM I believe. It is registered to a Glenn Goldman of McLean, Virginia.

Todd

Post subject: Glenn G's T-34
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Todd/Mike--

That T-34 is the ex Don McNall/CWH Mentor; Glenn is another ex-CWHer and took the T-34 Stateside when he moved a few years back. He has posted to WIX on occasion. The Mentor, I recall, had one of the nicest paintjobs in the CWH fleet, similar to the late lamented first Mustang; a real beauty. Too bad Glenn was only there on the Friday--would've been neat to catch up with him, haven't seen him in ages.

S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:07 am 
Aerial Pirate

Yup, that's the one I was referring to..........