Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:15 am

Vessbot wrote:http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepMustangBurch.html

Direct link to Davisson's article on his Mustang checkout at Burchinal's.... wonderful reading

When Budd did his checkouts at Junior's, $1800 (total), would get you:
10 hrs Stearman
10 hrs T-6
2 hrs P-51
2 hrs B-25
2 hrs Bearcat

I was definitely born too late.

Steve G

Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:44 am

He also flew his P-38. An old issue of Air Progress quotes the B-17 went for $500/hr.

Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:50 am

And I'm sure there are some here who can provide details of his P-38 going off the end of the runway and across the highway. The margin of error was very thin when operating high performance aircraft from the field.

Burchinal's Place - Flying Tigers

Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:22 am

In the early 70's the P-38 was a wreck sitting outside. After it ended up in the middle of the highway, the highway dept. gave Junior limited time to move it. As I understand it, they did more damage moving the airplane than incurred in the accident. Junior gave me ride in the Mustang. We did low level aerobatics over the strip. It was a blast.

Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:17 pm

Great stories on Jr Burchinal!
Anyone on the list with details on the use of our B-25 44-29507 when flying from this strip at Paris TX?
All info is welcome
Coert Munk

P-38 wreck photos

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:21 pm

Here are some photos of the P-38 after it had been wrecked. I took these and the other photos in the early 1970's
The B-25
Panther jet
Me when I was young and slimmer.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:18 pm

Hey those are some cool shots of Jr's place, do you have any of the Wildcat, or anyone else?

Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:41 pm

That Bearcat is super slick in those late 1950's Marine markings!

warbird owners

Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:53 pm

Gentlemen,

Someone has to compile a book on the chronological history of warbird owners, the aircraft they owned, photos, registrations and serials, etc. This material must be preserved for posterity as reference source for future researchers.

Norman Malayney

Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:51 pm

I nominate Norm. :drink3:

Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:54 am

Gentleman,

WIX has done many of this. We just need to implement a top editor and writer to making an awesome book.

more photos

Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:45 pm

Found some color photo I took in 1978.
This is only photo of Wildcat.

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:07 pm

I was told a story about Junior's 2 B-25 aircraft which were identical save the N number. Seems one day one was lost in the Gulf and there was quite a story about the two banks which owned the two bombers trying to find out which plane actually went down. Has anyone heard that story?

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:36 pm

jotomp....Nice pics. I have two questions for the group. The pic of the P-51 sparked a memory of a pic years ago of this ship in front of one of the hangars but Jr had put a 3 bladed prop on it. I guess it could have been around the time these were taken possibly. Anyone remember this pic? I'll dig for it too....I wonder what brought that about?
Another question is for the T-28 crowd. I noticed the T-28 was a 3 seater with the jumpseat behind the second where the porthole is. Were ther many of these made? One of the guys here in the city, Jim Harris, had one prior to his death. Don't know what ever happened to it.... Just curious about this type.

Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:09 am

Ummmmmmmm, wow!

Thank you guys so much for posting these. I visited Junior a few times in the past years and he was always very nice.

I have an old issue of Air Progress that has a bunch of photos of his stuff but from my memory it shows the aircraft out at the Paris airport and down in Fort Lauderdale after he started moving his stuff down there I guess. I really dont know the whole story with that or the other "stuff". I never asked him.

Anyone have any pictures of the Invaders he had? One ended up with Howard Hughes, or that's what he told me.
Post a reply