Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Florida Hurricanes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:00 pm 
Potato

Does anyone know if Kermit Weeks planes are better protected after rebuilding the facilities after the last big hurricane? I've been watching the weather news and it looks like another big one might be headed that way. There are still damaged aircraft from the last big one. I'm not sure of my Florida geography, but there is a lot of warbird activity going on in Flordia, Stallion51, Warbird Relics, there's even a WIX bro flying T-6's out of there. I hope everyone gets out alright, and maybe they can fly the flyers out and put the non-flyers in a bunker hanger.

Deep Thoughts,
Jack Handy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The idea of surviving future hurricanes had to have been a major consideration when designing the new facilites. I'd say the first disaster effectively set Mr. Weeks' efforts back about a decade. That can only happen a couple times in one man's lifetime.

The primary factor in survivng a hurricane is to relocate inland. The Tamiami facility was located on a broad flat area right at the coast, and as such, basically had no protection from the full brunt of the hurricane as it struck land. Once a storm moves over land, it loses the ability to suistain itself and will quickly begin to dissipate. The Polk City facilities are well away from the coast line, and I believe the hangars are more robust as well. With the buildings buttoned up, I doubt the collection will be in any danger.

The only real threat might be with any aircraft that are still stored out in the open. He has enough hangar space now that I'd bet even the Constellation could be squeezed inside in a pinch.

http://www.robmears.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:42 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

We're flying out T-38s tomorrow from Valdosta for Hurricane Charley. We all ready had an "aborted" hurevac on Wednesday for TS Bonnie, which turned out to be a real paper tiger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:59 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

C-17's are leaving here tonight or tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:42 pm 

Hey Chuck,
How about this?
Aren't you based right by Reilly's and Stallion 51?

Bill

Last edited by wls3 on Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:53 pm 
Warbird Pilot

The SNJs at Warbird Adventures should be moved over to the big FBOs hangar tomorrow. The Bell 47s too.
I flew over Fantasy of Flight 2 days ago and just saw the Sunderland and a Connie outside.
Stallion 51 has all of their planes locked up plus a few more transients that they have stuffed into the hangar (5 P-51s, Spit, P-40, T-6, F-86, etc). The Liberty Bell B-17 is outside with nowhere to go. She has a history with bad storms so I have my fingers crossed.
They are forecatsing winds here in Orlando to be 50-60 with gusts above 60+ in the late afternoon tomorrow.
They evacuated 800,000 people out of Tampa area this afternoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:41 pm 

Thanks Chuck, I forgot about B-17 Liberty Belle being outside,
your right she already was blown around while at NEAM in Conn.

Please keep us informed.

Thanks again.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:24 pm 
Warbird Pilot

We are two hours away from the eye of the storm now. It is one hour away from Kermitt's place. The latest is that Polk City where Fantasy of Flight is should get sustained winds of 90 mph plus gusts. I hope the are able to put the Sunderland away somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:19 pm 

That poor Sunderland was a 'storm magnet' as well, being damaged (at Calshot?) back in the '80s. It required a new outer wing and float assembly then, which was traded with the Duxford machine as I recall. My fingers are crossed for all the aircraft in harms way, and for that matter everyone living there as well. This one is going to be a doozy..... Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:43 pm 

I sent FOF an e-mail last night. They were very kind and responded early this morning.
Here is their reply.

"The buildings are rated to 125mph.
All airplanes but the Sunderland fit inside and we have no plans to fly any aircraft out".

Chuck, Thanks again for your updates.
Let us know how things make out after the storm and
good luck to all who are dealing with hurricane Charley.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:22 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hurricane Charley is the strongest hurricane to hit Florida since Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Damage estimates in dollars are also expected to be double that of Andrew.

Anyone care to speculate on the odds of the Weeks Collection taking a direct hit both times? I really was not expecting the storm to maintain itself at category two levels all the way across the State..and directly across the field at Ft. Polk to boot. Makes you wonder.

Good to hear that the precautions taken with the new robust museum structures got their big chance to show their stuff! Who'd have thought Andrew's next of kin would be coming directly at the Weeks facility for a rematch! ;)

Fingers crossed for the Sunderland!

http://www.robmears.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:52 am 
WRG Associate Editor

Saw some pictures of a ravaged Charlotte County Airport over the AP wire today in Punta Gorda... anyone know if there are any warbirds there? Looks like even the hangared ones weren't safe.

I hope FoF is ok... also hope that the Air America Foundation's C-123 and Marvin Juhls "Cat House" are ok too... they were outside at Titusville.

Ryan Keough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I heard 100 mph winds hit Orlando. Seeing Polk City isnt far away, could the Sunderlund survive those winds sitting outside? I cant imagine what winds like that could do to the Liberty Belle either!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:25 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The C-123's down at Titusville survived fairly well. The "Cat House" recieved damage to the right aileron when a Stinson 108 broke loose from it's tiedowns and flipped up on it's left wing. The right wing struck the Provider. The Air America Foundation's C-123 got away with no damage. Not by much though, one of the tie downs tore loose and if the wind had been any higher she may have departed the fix.

Over at Orlando Executive, things weren't so good. One of the DC-3s that belonged to Vintage Airlines was flipped on it's back and had the wings torn off.

That's all I know.

Here at Charleston, we got a little rain and nothing else. I'm glad of that.

Post subject: Kissimmee Damage
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:54 pm 
Got a brief report from several contacts. The B-17 and B-25 are OK, but a tornado hit the hanger for that housed several T-6's and helicopters. Not sure, but this may the hanger for Warbird Adventures. Hope not, cause Chuck Gardner flies for them....... Also understood that Stallion 51 aircraft are OK. Reilly may have had some damage to the hanger and had heard that the President Bush Stearman may have sustained some damage....
Alan