Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:21 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I saw on the Weather Channel today that the Polk City Airport had heavy damage from Charlie. Does anybody know if Kermit's place was part of this?

Thanks,

Lynn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:34 am 

Just read on the Orlando Sentinel website that there are TWO more on their way, one is on the same track as Charley :shock:

Last edited by Manonthefence on Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:59 am 

There is a photo on the <www.OrlandoSentinel.com> web site of the storm's aftermath that shows a large hanger at Kissimee that was destroyed. Through the breech in the hanger roof you can see what looks like a yellow T-6. Very depressing.... Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:25 pm 
Warbird Pilot

The power just came back on and I am able to get online. It has been a rough 48 hours.
Warbird Adventures lost both SNJ's and both Bell 47 helicopters in a hangar collapse. The new, huge hangar was rated for 130mph winds, but it was hit by a tornado. For those of you who have flown Texan 1 or Texan 4, remember them well. They are crushed with a Duke on top of one and a Barron on top of the other. It is very, very sad to see. I will miss flying both of those planes.
The B-17 seems to be perfectly fine as well as the B-25 Killer Bee. Next to the 17, Reilly's hangar (museum) was peeled back to the first girter and there is substantail damage. The Bush Stearman has minimal damage and can be repaired. I wasnt able to check on the P-40 or anything else.
The DC-3 outside our hangars walked its way back about 20 feet and crushed 3 trucks and bent both wingtips and tail section.
Stallion 51 hangars seem to be fine even though they are 100 yards from where there was complete devistation. They are very lucky!
I will update if i here or see more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:33 pm 

Very glad to hear you are Okay, sorry to hear about the 'J' birds though. Was #4 the newly aquired Jerry Borchin aircraft? When I was there in April they were just putting the video mods in it. Such a shame... Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:51 am 

:cry:

Chuck,
Very sad to hear. I flew for Warbird Adventures from 2001 til 2003. At least two of the birds were up north and escaped the Hurricane.
Looking at the photo on the Sentinel, I can see the nose of the either the number 1 or the number 4 airplane. It brings a tear to my eye.

Did the silver T-6G escape?

-Chopper John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:24 am 
S/N Geek

Hi Chuck!

Very sad to read about the damage and the loss of the Texans, but it is good to read that you are OK.

Please keep us up-to-date regarding recovery/repair work at Warbird Adventures and surrounding businesses.

Regards,

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:36 am 

Found this site. Some photos of aircraft damage along Charley's 150 mile path through Florida.

Bill

http://www.avweb.com/news/features/187931-1.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:43 am 
Warbird Pilot

Looking at the DC-3 on that link, seeing the one on Reilly's ramp damaged, the the one destroyed at Orlando Executive, that makes 3 DC-3s that got hurt.
I went inside Stallion 51 today and the fighters their are fine. Could you imagine loosing 5 P-51s, a Spit, P-40, 2 T-6s, and F-86 if the tornado and momved North 200 yards?
What is amazing is that the B-25 and a T-6 were on the Reilly ramp not even tied down and there are perfectly fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:50 am 
S/N Geek

Chuck Gardner wrote:
What is amazing is that the B-25 and a T-6 were on the Reilly ramp not even tied down and there are perfectly fine.

Obviously the B-17 wasn't going anywhere under it's own power, but what about the B-25 and DC-3. Could they have not been evacuated? Or where they maintenance/pilot availability issues that prevented this?

Mike

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:21 am 
Warbird Pilot

The DC-3 was not flyable. The B-25 etc doesnt fly very often and even less by its owners. The storm was supposed to run up the west coast of the state and not be a problem for us. About 2:00 in the afternoon it started to change direction and head inland towards us. By that time, we had already secured our planes and it was too windy and messy to fly out somewhere. It all happened very fast. There were folks running around until the last minute tying planes down and securing things. We all could have made a few better decisions, but that is hindsite and things changed so rapidly with the storm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:38 am 
S/N Geek

Chuck Gardner wrote:
...but that is hindsite and things changed so rapidly with the storm.

Wow! You guys must have been in a real panick! This kind of weather is something I don't really need to worry about where I live (tornados on the extremely rare occasion) so it is hard for me to appreciate the challenges of your weather. I think I will take the cold in the winter instead, at least that is predictable.

Again, wishing everyone the best in the recovery efforts.

Regards,

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:44 am 

Any news on Fantasy of Flight.

Chuck you guys have my deepest sympathies. Just count yourselves luck that you go away unscathed personally.

Best of luck for the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:29 pm 

Chuck

Thanks for all the updates. Thoughts are with you and everybody down there.
As for Fantasy of Flight, all their webpage says is they plan on reopening this Wednesday.

Bill

Last edited by wls3 on Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: storm
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:37 pm 
I just got an Email from Kermit. They had a small piece of a building near new hanger come off but no other damgage. Having some power issues but plan to open as soon as that is solved.

Mark Clark
Courtesy Aircraft

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next