Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Breckinridge Questions
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:51 pm 

Can some please tell me what exactly Breckenridge was? Was it an Air Show or a fly-in? How many warbirds showed up at these events?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:07 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Oh boy!
Look out!
You've opened the flood gates!!
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:22 pm 

I just found out about this old event over the past couple of weeks! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:44 pm 

Oh wow....how to explain it all....

Back in the 80's and 90's, every Memorial day weekend, Warbirds, pilots and enthusiasts gathered at this small mid Texas town for an unofficial airshow/gathering of warbirds and things vintage....in its early years, it attracted upwards of 140 warbirds, or so I'm told....I never made it to the early shows, only seeing the last 4 or 5 of them before the show petered out, but we still had 80-90 warbirds on the ramp at those shows and had a good time. The rules were lax on the flying-low passes were REALLY low, rides were abundant if you knew the right folks, armorer half tracks rumbled around after the traditional dinner in Bill Arnot's B-25 hangar firing off blank .50 calibre rounds until 2 am in the morning. It was a party, a blast, a celebration with very loose rules and very GREAT flying and the Greatest of machines and people, all gathered in one place for that weekend, once a year....

It was....simply....BRECKENRIDGE.....not since duplicated, unique unto itself. There'll never be another like it again.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:13 pm 

It was everything Mark said it was and more.... It is greatly missed and like he said, rides a-plenty. The best ride I ever got was in Connies PBY to his place in Big Springs. Stephen Grey was along on that one and it was such a neat day, touring Connie's castle and hangars and seeing all the Merlins, P-51's and 2 seat Buchon in storage. His ramp vehicle was a halftrac driven by Tex who was in his early teens. What a day!
Like it's been said on another post, Howard would come to your show if you came to his. It was like the get-together for all the owners and crews to kickoff the airshow season. Man, I need to dig out some slides!!!!!

I am a citizen of the Air

Last edited by slinky on Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:13 pm 

It was everything Mark said it was and more.... It is greatly missed and like he said, rides a-plenty. The best ride I ever got was in Connies PBY to his place in Big Springs. Stephen Grey was along on that one and it was such a neat day, touring Connie's castle and hangars, seeing all the Merlins, P-51's and 2 seat Buchon in storage. His ramp vehicle was a halftrac driven by Tex who was in his early teens. What a day!
Like it's been said on another post, Howard would come to your show if you came to his. It was like the get-together for all the owners and crews to kickoff the airshow season. Man, I need to dig out some slides!!!!!

I am a citizen of the Air

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:02 pm 

I was there in 1980 and have photos of 102 different aircraft (38 different types). I might have missed some (but not many) of the those attending.

AeroCommander 1, Twin Beech 5, Staggerwing 1, T-34 4-A, 2-B & 1-C, Kingcobra 1, Huey 1, Stearman 3, Texan/Harvard 25, Cessna Super Skymaster 5, Tweety 1, Bamboo Bomber 1, Challenger Ultralite 2, Corsair 5, Vibrator 6, P-40 1, A-26 1, Skyraider 2, Gonney 1, PT-19 1, Wildcat 2, Avenger 1, Hellcat 1, Bearcat 1, Tigercat 1, Albatross 1, Fury 1, Helio Super Courier, Howard DGA 1, Mustang 5, B-25 4, P-47 1, Soko Seagull 1, Stinson Reliant 1, Stinson Sentinel 5, Spitfire 2, Taylorcraft 1, Varga Kachina 1, Yak-11 1.

This may not have been the best year, but it was my year. Great Show!!!

bill word

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:28 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Who said thet were blanks? And when he said he toured Connies castle, he doesn't mean a big house he means a castle with moat and everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:49 pm 

I asked this same question a couple weeks ago. I got lots of good info! Here is the thread.

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9582&highlight=breckenridge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:18 pm 

Obergrafeter wrote:
Who said thet were blanks? And when he said he toured Connies castle, he doesn't mean a big house he means a castle with moat and everything.

I fired some tracers down range one night, and I believe that there was some brewed adult beverages involved somewhere in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:24 pm 

Another great thing about it was you never knew what might show up. My wife treated me to my first ride in a B-17 (Chuckie) at Breckenridge, one year one of those Micro-jets flew an acro routine, piloted by an ex Blue Angel, a Buchon (Cavanaugh), White Lightning, Mosquito, F6F (Pond), and the Ezell hanger was always amazing to see what was being worked on. Even remember an early British single-engine jet one year. Just too much to list or even remember, but it was just the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:04 pm 

Obergrafeter wrote:

And the moat goes in and out of the house! Cool place. You oughta see the new quarry with stonehenge and his other "late afternoon" creations with limestone blocks.