Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:41 am 

On June 3, 2006, about 1830 mountain daylight time, a North American SNJ-6, N45CK, sustained
substantial damage when it struck a power line during cruise flight near American Falls, Idaho.
Following the collision, the flight continued to its destination and landed without further incident.
The commercial pilot and the passenger aboard were not injured. The airplane was registered to Rudy
& Sylvia Airways LLC of San Diego, California, and operated by the pilot. Visual meteorological
conditions prevailed for the 14 CFR Part 91 cross country flight from Afton, Wyoming, to Jerome,
Idaho. The flight departed Afton about 1734 and arrived in Jerome about 1855.
The pilot reported that it was cold at a cruise altitude of 8,500 feet msl, and he decided to descend
to warmer altitudes. He descended to follow the Snake River. He checked his aeronautical chart and
"didn't observe any charted power lines crossing on the segment of the river" that he was flying. He
descended to "about 100 feet above the river" and followed the river. He saw three wooden poles and
a crossbeam located along the edge of the river, did not see wires, but "made the immediate
assumption that there were wires." He pulled up and heard a loud bang as the airplane struck the
wires. He also saw a blue flash. After determining that the airplane was "able to continue safe
flight," he made a decision to proceed to Jerome, where he was able to make a normal landing. The
pilot examined the airplane and reported that the pitot mast was torn from the right wing tip, the
leading edges of both outer wing panels were damaged, and there were two puncture holes in the fabric
of the left aileron. The pilot stated that "there may have been many contributing factors to this
accident but I simply should have had more altitude in order to avoid any possibility of a wire
strike."
1 0 0
1 0 0
06/2005
Class 2
Airplane
Flight Instructor; Commercial; Multi-engine Land; Single-engine Land
Visual Conditions
Day
Part 91: General Aviation
Manteca, CA
Taigh E. Ramey
Rudy & Sylvia Airways LLC
None
Substantial
Pratt & Whitney / R1340
Reciprocating
Retractable - Tailwheel
121-422-39
North American / SNJ-6
Airplane (not Homebuilt)
Jerome, ID
Afton, WY
1830 MDT
06/03/2006
American Falls, ID
None
N45CK
SEA06CA111

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:54 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Seen the airplane on the courtesy site when it was for sale.................Beautiful airplane then.

Not going to comment about now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:20 pm 

So whats the point ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Don't fly with your head up your bum. It is dangerous enough as it is.

The guy made a mistake, we should learn from it and not let it happen to the rest of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:42 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
So whats the point ???

"Try to do that in a Cirrus!"

Post subject: Re: Look famliar Taigh?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:00 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

nywarbirdplt wrote:
On June 3, 2006, about 1830 mountain daylight time
Who are you, a writer for Air Comix? "And to further the warbird movement, here are pictures from the latest warbird crash, once again proving that these aircraft are too valuable to fly..."

This incident was widely reported some months ago, it isn't news any longer. Why twist the knife? All I need to do is to have my wife see something like this and she'll have second thoughts about my own T-6 project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:45 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Aircraft can be fixed but people are irreplaceable. If you are around aviation long enough you will eventually loose someone you know and accidents happen. Thank God Taigh made it home to fly another day especially for his wife and kid. Taigh is a big champion of these old relics and one of those guys who is willing to have a conversation with any veteran or person who stops by. He is one of the guys that is does it right and if you are trying to throw salt in a wound then shame on you.

Ryan

Post subject: That was Taigh?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:35 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Well, I am very glad he made it home okay. Definitely a lesson in terrain and obstacle awareness.

As for the comments, flying 60 year old aircraft is an art. Problems arise at various times and you have to deal with them. That is what a pilot does. The problem with pilots is that no matter how good a pilot they are, there is always a problem awaiting out there for them, of their own or somebody else's doing. When the problem arises, how they deal with it says more about their airmanship than all the after-accident commentary from ANYBODY, no matter how expert the commentary may be. Personally, seeing the wrinkles on that skin, I wouldn't have blamed him if he set it down IMMEDIATELY. But he didn't and saved another airplane. He should be commended.

Good Job, Taigh, and very glad you are still with us. I'd like to hear the story from you some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:35 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'm not trying to throw salt;however, I am trying to get us to think a bit as we fly these old aircraft. There have been at least 2 other similar incidents with excellent pilots in the cockpit who made bad decsions and it cost them their lives.

I was recently flying VFR into some worsening weather. All I could think about was Art's recent accident ( a pilot I totally repsect to this day). I asked the local control tower for conditions, and got down where it was safe,and waited out the weather, even though I almost missed one of the most important aviation events I've ever attended.

As was pointed out there are enough things to go wrong without the pilot helping things along.

I am very glad the pilot is safe, and an added benefit is the aircraft was not destroyed. He goofed, and he should go on to be a better pilot, as we should all learn from the mistakes of others. It is bad enough once, but for it to be repeated is a sin.

I am not perfect or the World's Best Pilot, but I try to fly safe, and have fun. Sometimes safe gets in the way of fun, but as the old saying goes: "It is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:58 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

This topic was sequestered for a bit, but the advisory commitee decided that the topic was valid and worthwhile though the intent was questionable. So I changed the subject and reintroduced this thread into the hanger. Discussion are welcome but try not to bash the pilot involved.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:39 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Mistakes happen -- sometimes it's negligence and sometimes it's just "sh*t happens".

Either way, it's easier to Monday-morning-quarterback the situation than it is to have actually been there in the cockpit making decisions and manipulating the controls.

Regardless of the reason, there is ALWAYS something to learn by honestly discussing incidents. That is ESPECIALLY true when it is likely that pilot error was the root cause.

Post subject: wire strike
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:00 am 
Probationary Member

We have all flown low, I might have been down looking at the river too, maybe a little higher. We can learn from incidents, but not with the attitude that only the other pilot can make a mistake. It shows how tough a T-6 is, can't believe the prop survived, and glad Taigh made it safely back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Gentlemen, if I may offer an alternative that I feel will benefit the entire warbird community.

I move that we restore the Cavanaugh Heinkel with barrage balloon cable-cutting gear.

One low pass and the skies above the Snake River will once again be clear for simulated strafing, napalming, and low-level recon of blondes, brunettes, and the occasional redhead. Salmon hotspotting may also be possible.

Do I have a second for the motion? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:52 am 
Aerial Pirate

I'll second that motion :rip:

We must limit politicians to two terms:
one in office and one in jail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:41 am 

you know, when I read that accident report, I see exactly what I would expect to see from an honest individual, no external factor blame, just a simple, " I made a mistake"
no one was hurt, he will undoubtably foot the bill for repairs, the airplane will fly again, and a couple guys in the power company probably got some much appreciated overtime.
I once many years ago flew completely under a set of cables in a Christen Eagle! ( which would not have taken a cable strike as ably as a T6,) it was`nt until recrossing the lake later by boat I even noticed the cables! lesson learned, luckily without damage or injury.
As mentioned it is way too easy to monday morning QB, but bottom line, the guy made a mistake, owned up, and case closed.