Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Rate this Movie... Heartbreak Ridge
5 Stars 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
4 stars 30%  30%  [ 7 ]
3 Stars 30%  30%  [ 7 ]
2 Stars 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
1 Star 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Never seen it 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 23
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:19 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Today's movie is Heartbreak Ridge. Please vote in the poll and reply to this threads with your thoughts about the movie. What you loved... or hated about it. Thanks.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Green ENFAMIL, formula with no bulk. Plug and play with John Wayne, Audie Murphy, John Hodiak, or Dan Duryea as the lead, 110 minutes you can never get back.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:52 pm 

"This is the AK-47 assault rifle, the preferred weapon of your enemy; and it makes a distinctive sound when fired at you, so remember it." :D

I think it was a pretty good 80's Clint Eastwood movie. I liked it!

-Derek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:44 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Not a great movie by any means but it can be fun. I remember they had to add a whole scene where they described how Clint's character and his pal on the staff had joined the ARMY and fought in Korea at the real Heartbreak Ridge and were released when discovered to be under age and later joined the Marine Corps. They did it because so many ARMY veterans were complaining that no MARINES had fought at the real Heartbreak Ridge. It was a typical Hollywood mistake but at least Clint did what he could to correct it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:57 pm 

John Dupre wrote:
Not a great movie by any means but it can be fun. I remember they had to add a whole scene where they described how Clint's character and his pal on the staff had joined the ARMY and fought in Korea at the real Heartbreak Ridge and were released when discovered to be under age and later joined the Marine Corps. They did it because so many ARMY veterans were complaining that no MARINES had fought at the real Heartbreak Ridge. It was a typical Hollywood mistake but at least Clint did what he could to correct it.

From what I understand, it was originally written with the characters being in the Army. The Department of the Army withdrew its support because of some of the content and the script was subsequently rewritten to make the characters Marines. To your point above, I imagine that during the rewrite, they realized they had to somehow connect the Marines to Heartbreak Ridge.

Still, a fun movie nonetheless.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:55 pm 

Meh.

I have often used 'one big clusterfarg' since I heard it in this movie...other than that...*reaches for remote*

Joe Strummer, 1999

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:52 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Pretty good Eastwood flick, I like the M2 carbine in the opening credits...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:05 pm 

I was Pendleton as an 0331 and met Eastwood at the beach when he was filming the movie. I also remember going by the Force Recon quonset huts. The movie is alright but those recon guys were alot more hardcore then shown in the movie.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:27 pm 

"I'm mean, nasty and tired. I eat concertina wire and piss napalm, and I can put a round trough a flea's ass at 200 meters. So you go hump somebody else's leg, mudface, before I push yours in."

I Love this movie. Eastwood, Mario Van Peebles, RECON... Yea I't not 100% accurate but suspend reality for 120 min...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:37 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Weak and cliche riddled for an 80's movie. Not a lot of thought or polishing went into that script.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:51 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

WAAAYY too much time with character development. I'll watch it if there's not a synchronized swimming meet on. :(

Mudge the critic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:49 pm 

horible movie!!!! absolute tripe!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:21 pm 

As someone who was there, at Grenada, I get ticked with how it minimizes who long the actual combat took place. It wasn't 40 minutes of firefight and 4 days on the beach. It took us about a month to get those dug in Cubans out. And we lost a lot of great ARMY soldiers doing it.

But it has Clint,so I just bite the bullet and remember it is FICTION.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:34 pm 

Back in 1985 I took over a military police unit where the previous commander had let the unit go to seed. He was so caught up in his next posting, at an embassy in Greece that he wasn't paying attention to his men drinking on duty and being out of uniform. I fixed that problem quick, fast, and in a hurry. So, I find some of the plot line plausible. I take note of earlier comments on this board where the movie writers got things wrong-for instance the phone call back to the base in the middle of the battle-actuallly an Army unit did that. As a one time Marine Recon unit member, I saw some familiar things-the quonset huts, etc. The movie is entertaining and only a letdown if you're a hardcore purist. I give the movie four stars out of five.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:01 pm 

One of my favorite Eastwood flicks. Its a great movie, its not historical fact.