Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Scrapping Parts
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:24 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

A recent discussion that occured in the old forum was the subject of scrapping of parts after a restoration is done. At the moment the WRG and several WIXers are discussing the possibility of creating a clearing house of parts. It's in the beginning stages at the moment and we will keep you informed at the progress. I am posting this notice so that if a restorer is contemplating scrapping items then he might hold on to them.

Overall we want to preserve some of these items for use in pattern making, display etc....

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:52 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

:o

Something that may look like complete scrap to us might be absolutely invaluable to another restorer or cockpit collector!!

________

Post subject: ebay
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:35 am 

Hi Scott, just out of curiosity, although I do not have much physically to do with any restoration or similar is it alright to post in here things found on ebay? like saw a spitfire clock for sale on there not long ago. a note in the posting of where you are might not be a bad idea either as shipping might very well affect the buyer's ability to afford such things.

afterall otherwise, considering I am from australia, none of you might get to find out about this:

german luftwaffe clock.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 40071&rd=1

or this:

RAF oxygen mask in as new condition apparently.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 44487&rd=1

so what sort of aircraft would the clock be out of perhaps?

btw these are in australia

Post subject: Re: ebay
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:55 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Jeff wrote:
Hi Scott, just out of curiosity, although I do not have much physically to do with any restoration or similar is it alright to post in here things found on ebay? like saw a spitfire clock for sale on there not long ago. a note in the posting of where you are might not be a bad idea either as shipping might very well affect the buyer's ability to afford such things.

Feel free to post these types of things here. You never know what someone is looking for.

Thanks for asking.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:54 pm 

CAF at SAn Diego, Air Group one. We have an SNJ-5 and were recently given a hangar full of T-6 parts as a gift. Don't have any idea what to do with them but would like to make some dollars for the CAF unit. At least you talked us into keeping it for a while. Any idea what to do with all of these goodies. We have a CD with pictures of all parts.
Jack

Post subject: scrapping parts
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:30 am 

Hello

With regards to scrapping parts, I would definitely say that it is not advised.
Being someone who is in the new/used vintage a/c parts business( 300 wrecks , various basket cases and 400,000 parts), I can say from experience some parts I sell are excellent condition and some are very rough. They both sell just as well.
Many times I 've been GIVEN parts that are deemed too far gone, only to have a restorer look at that part like it was a gold brick.
I say scrap nothing and remember most of these items are no longer made, once it's gone it's gone.

Thanks Cam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:13 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Hi Scott,

That is a good idea. I would be willing to help you out on that. Maybe it should have its own board?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:02 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

If it's not airworthy, it could be static diplay or a pattern. If its totally mangled and destroyed, some warbirder may still want it for novelty use.