Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:33 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Identified F-86H Ejection Seat. Very good condition, stenciled to 53-1339 The seat cushion is original and in fair condition. The rest of the chair is in good to very good condition. Available for pick-up at my shop in York PA on weekends 8-4 Saturday and Sunday only. Crating and shipping available for additional charge. Price is $1500.00.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:18 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Interesting seat: the rest of 53-1339 is located at Martin State Airport, MD (ANG entrance), preserved as a gate guard. Last time I saw the aircraft it had a seat fitted, but I think there is an intriguing story behind your example. I hope that a bit of provenance may help you sell it (I wish I had space or I'd take it!)

53-1339 was built at NAA Columbus, OH as an F-86H-10 with c/n 203-111.

It was delivered on April 25, 1955 to 413th FDGp, then to:

479th FDW September 12, 1955

to 413th FDGp October 27, 1955

to 312th FBW April 14, 1956 (Wendover TDY June 9 thru 21, 1956)

to 83rd FDW February 1, 1957 (Eglin TDY March 6 thru April 7, 1957 and also May 11 thru 22, 1957)

to 3525th CCTW June 3, 1957 (transient maint), then to Southern California Aviation at Ontario CA on July 10, 1957 for overhaul.

On its way back east it stopped at 2750th ABW Wright-Patterson on October 17, 1957 for transient maint, before being delivered to 104th FIS MD ANG on January 27, 1958. I'd like to know what the 3-month transient maint at Wright Patt was for: more than just an engine change for sure!

104th FIS became a TFS on December 1, 1958 and there is record of further overhaul/maint with Middletown Air Materiel Area from October 6 thru 7, 1959.

Whilst with the 104th, 53-1339 was written off on June 27, 1960 after running out of fuel on a gunnery mission to Phelps Collins ANGB in Michigan. The aircraft flamed out and crashed in a swamp 9 miles west of Alpena, MI. Pilot 2/Lt David Fitzwilliam Woods was uninjured and the remains of the aircraft were supposedly taken back to Martin Field and placed on display as '31416'.

So I strongly suspect that your seat comes from that June 27, 1960 incident, though I don't know if Woods ejected or not. I'm sure a newspaper search would render that info pretty quickly.

I also do wonder if the Martin State Airport F-86H really is 53-1339...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:52 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Just realised I have the accident report for this. I'll transcribe and post it later. He didn't eject but forced landed just off Collins ANG and stepped out onto the wing and waited for someone to pick him up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:06 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Narrative of the accident report:

Shag Delta, a flight of four F-86H aircraft, was scheduled to depart Phelps Collins ANGB, Alpena, Michigan at 0940 hours, 27 June 1960, on a VFR air to air gunnery mission. The weather at Phelps Collins was scattered clouds at 7000 feet and visibility ten miles.

Shag Delta Flight leader briefed the flight in accordance with briefing check list #5 of CONAC Aircrew Training Manual 10-12, Volume II. The DD Form 1080 local clearance, was completed and the flight started engines at 0940 EST. The fuel aboard the aircraft was a full internal load of 563 gallons (3659 pounds) and 75 gallons in each external tank for a total fuel load of 713 gallons (4634 pounds). Shag Delta Flight experienced some delay in meeting its desired take-off time because of landing aircraft. During this ground operation 400 - 450 pounds of fuel was consumed.

Shag Delta Flight was airborne at 1002 EST and proceeded to the gunnery range which was 30 miles from Phelps Collins ANGB. The flight made ten gunnery passes, utilizing the entire length of the range. The flight departed the southern end of the range at approximately 1035 EST at 27,000 feet with approximately 1900 pounds of fuel remaining in each aircraft each aircraft and at a distance of 50 nautical miles from Phelps Collins ANGB. The flight made a normal let-down to traffic pattern altitude and entered the initial approach to runway 18 with approximately 1800 pounds of fuel remaining.

Shag Delta Flight was advised by the tower to break long because Magna Target aircraft was on the runway awaiting target hook up. A normal break and traffic pattern was initiated. When Shag Delta Leader rolled out all final approach, he was sent around by the tower because Mango Tango Target was still on the runway. The flight made a normal go-around and remained
In closed traffic. Shag Delta Leader rolled out on final for his second approach and was again sent around by the tower because Magna Tango Target was still on the runway. The flight executed a normal go-around and remained in closed traffic. When the flight leader reached base leg for his third approach, Magna Tango Target had taken off, but his target banner had dropped on the runway. The tower advised Shag Delta Flight to go-around again. The flight leader then broke out of traffic and continued west and north with his flight to re-enter traffic from initial approach.

Shag Delta Flight joined and re-entered initial approach to runway 18 and was cleared to land by the tower. Shag Delta 4 noticed at that time that his fuel quantity gage indicated 750 pounds of fuel remaining.

As Shag Delta Flight continued on this initial approach, Magna Tango Target was also on an initial approach for a cable drop, having lost his target banner on take-off at 1045 EST. Magna Tango Target had made two 360-degree turns on initial and was proceeding toward the field.

When he was about two miles out on his initial the tower advised him to break to the right. At this time Shag Delta Flight was in its overhead traffic pattern. Magna Tango Target started a right turn but immediately straightened out and continued on initial. He radioed the tower to the effect that he should go between Shag Delta 3 and 4, as Shag Delta 3 was turning final and Shag Delta 4 was turning base. Magna Tango Target flew between them and made his cable drop. From Shag Delta 4's position, Magna Tango Target appeared below and to the left of him as he was turning from base to final. Shag Delta 4 could not see the cable or tow bar and decided to go-around. He initiated a go-around and was cleared for closed traffic. This closed pattern was to be his fourth 360 degree traffic pattern.

Shag Delta 4 pulled up into the closed traffic pattern and a flight of four aircraft, Magna Whiskey Flight, moved onto the runway for takeoff. Collins tower told Shag Delta 4 to extend his downwind leg. Shag Delta 4 extended his downwind leg and when turning base called "gear down” and tower cleared him to continue. Shag Delta 4 feared that he would over run departing Magna Whiskey Flight on the runway and decided to go around again.

Shag Delta 4 then advised the tower that he was low on fuel and would go around once more. His fuel remaining was about 300 pounds at this point. He pulled up sharply into a closed traffic pattern approximately one third to one half way down the runway. In his pull up the engine lost rpm. He switched to the emergency fuel system as the rpm was just above 90% and he noticed a slight surge in rpm, then a decrease in rpm. He switched the selector back to the normal fuel system and stop cocked the throttle. Shag Delta 4 gained as much altitude as possible and decided to try to reach runway 18. He advised the tower that he had flamed out and would attempt a landing on runway 18. The tower cleared him to land and when he realised he could not make it to the runway he lowered flaps and landed in a swamp about 1500 feet short of the runway threshold. He opened the canopy, stepped out on the wing and waited to be picked up. The time of his touchdown was approximately 1058 EST.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Just to round things out, a photo of 53-1339 with 104th TFS MD ANG just prior to the accident:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:12 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for the excellent research. Everything you have written tracks with the story of the item from the owner, who inherited this from his father.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:09 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Glad to help: would make a nice addition to a museum in the MD area. Hope it goes to a worthy home!