Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:02 pm 

The A-25 is looking awful nice there Mike! Thanks for the update 8)
Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:17 pm 

THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS PARTS ARE STARTING TO SHOW UP FROM ALL OVER THE PLACE!! KEEP LOOKING THANKS MIKE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:09 pm 

HI :WELL A LITTLE UPDATE ON THE A-25 PROJECT.BOMB RACKS HAVE BEEN FITTED AND INSTALLED,COMPLETE WITH PRACTICE BOMBS AND YES THE RACKS DO WORK!!WE ARE FITTING THE YOKE MECANISMS ALONG WITH THE ASSORTED HYD.CYLINDERS,VALVES,PLUMBING,RELEASE AND ARMING CABLES,ECT.THE LOWER FIREWALL,AND SECTION BETWEEN THE BOMB DOORS AND FIREWALL ARE NOW IN AND ALMOST COMPLETE.BOMB DOORS ARE BEING FINAL FITTED AND ARE READY FOR PAINT AND RIVETING.MORE ORIGINAL PARTS HAVE BEEN FLOWING IN AND THANKS TO SOME OF THE WIXERS THIS WILL END UP ONE VERY COMPLETE AND AS ORIGINAL AS POSSIBLE A/C!! THANKS TO ALL OF THOSE WHO HAVE HELPED AND THANKS TO SCOTT ON THE GREAT JOB OF PROVIDING THIS AMAZING TOOL FOR ALL OF US TO LEARN AND BENIFIT FROM!!!!THE WING BOMB RACKS ARE NOW BEING REBUILT AND RIGGED,LOTS MORE RIVETING AND PAINTING BUT GETTING CLOSER TO THAT FINAL GOAL!!THANKS AGAIN AND ENJOY THE HOLIDAY SEASON MIKE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mike, I think I speak for many when I say "thank you"--both for your efforts as a restorer and also for your contributions to this board.

Your comment about the increased flow of parts for the project makes me wonder: Are there any bits and pieces of Helldiver for which you are still searching? I'm sure we have more than a few dedicated scroungers here (like me) who would love to help. :wink:

Have an exceptional holiday season!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:54 pm 

HI THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS IF ITS HELLDIVERPART OR WRECKAGE IM INTERESTED,I HOPE TO COMPLETE ALL 4 OF THE A/C THAT I HAVE AND IF THE BUYER OF THE ONLY OTHER KNOWN SURVIVER WANTS IT RESTORED WERE OPEN FOR BUSINESS!!THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE LEADS KEEP THEM COMING IN !!MIKE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:11 pm 

This is a great thread worthy of being bump after so long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey, Mike what is the latest? I think it is near being moved to Wright Pat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:28 pm 

Any new pics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

glad this thread re-surfaced. mike, a question out of curiosity...... who is the main source of the replacement parts flow???? wisler??? alan bass?? curt aldrich??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:23 pm 

Hi,

The A 25 is progressing well, we are in the final stages of completing the airframe repairs. It was decided to replace the flap spars and replace any corrosion in the trailing edge of the center section. My good friends from Wings of the North came up today to help drill the right spar apart and is now ready to be rebuilt. The guys did a great job of drilling lots of rivets and a couple of guys were riveting on the leading edge while yet another cleaned up several parts in the sand blaster. The turret has been disassembled and is being rebuilt to hand operating condition. We're still a few months away but its finally looking like an A 25 again.

As far as parts sources go there is really not much out there. I've found bits and pieces from several sources around the country. The C.A..Fs Cactus Squadron had several SB2C parts for sale mostly firewall forward stuff, this was a great step toward completing the project. Its my goal to make the restoration 100% authentic right down to an original A 25 load adjuster, WWII working 8 day clock, and pilots wiz wheel. We could have cut a lot corners on the project but I would rather risk loosing a few bucks vs. turning out a piece of crap.

Sorry for not posting current photos I've been swamped with annuals and several other projects but I will get some up soon .Thanks again for all the interest and support

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:23 pm 

Hi,

The A 25 is progressing well, we are in the final stages of completing the airframe repairs. It was decided to replace the flap spars and replace any corrosion in the trailing edge of the center section. My good friends from Wings of the North came up today to help drill the right spar apart and is now ready to be rebuilt. The guys did a great job of drilling lots of rivets and a couple of guys were riveting on the leading edge while yet another cleaned up several parts in the sand blaster. The turret has been disassembled and is being rebuilt to hand operating condition. We're still a few months away but its finally looking like an A 25 again.

As far as parts sources go there is really not much out there. I've found bits and pieces from several sources around the country. The C.A..Fs Cactus Squadron had several SB2C parts for sale mostly firewall forward stuff, this was a great step toward completing the project. Its my goal to make the restoration 100% authentic right down to an original A 25 load adjuster, WWII working 8 day clock, and pilots wiz wheel. We could have cut a lot corners on the project but I would rather risk loosing a few bucks vs. turning out a piece of crap.

Sorry for not posting current photos I've been swamped with annuals and several other projects but I will get some up soon .Thanks again for all the interest and support

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:07 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Mike,

I know it is probably beyond reason to ask if you have had any time to put in on your 'baby' - the ex fire fighter TBM?

Tom P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:02 am 

Hi ,

The TBM is on hold until the A 25 is done, but in the meantime I've been collecting lots of parts. It's amaizing that TBM parts are cheaper than T6 parts and are almost as plentiful! For now the push is on to get the Shrike completed.

Thanks Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Mike is June still looking like when it is going to be moved? Also is the TBM going to be for you or another museum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:15 am 

Hi,

June 1st is our deadline date and thats what we're shooting for but as we all know it doesnt always happen. We are very close so stay posted, as for the TBM its my personal project.

Thanks Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next