Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: P&W 1340 oil leak (T-6)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:55 pm 

New to this site and need some help with a SNJ-5 (T-6). Changed the oil, pulled screens, ect. and filled tank back-up with oil. Ran it up and lost almost all the oil. Now if some one can help me here is where the oil leak was. There is a tube that is just above the exhaust that goes up to the case. I think it is a breather line ?? can't find a good detail of it in the maint. book I have. How and why did I lose all the oil out that tube.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A bit more info please. Did it go out the exhaust and cure the mosquito problem for blocks around. or was it sprayed all over the outside of the cowl and fuselage giving you endless hours of entertainment? :roll:

Welcome aboard the roller coaster! You'll find pretty much everyone here very helpful and willing to share knowledge and tips

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:00 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Check the airplane documentation, you should have an STC sheet describing the lower cylinder drain system. If you don't, then you have a problem because what you're describing sounds like that drain system and the plane has to have that STC sheet with its maintenance paperwork at all times. It describes how the system works, but the ones I've seen that have it installed, they had a manual valve that had to be operated to "open" the cylinder to allow the oil to drain between flights and prevent hydraulic lock.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:48 am 

It is what looks to be a breather line that is located just above the exhaust and goes up to the front case. It goes through the fire wall right beside the plug wire harness to the RT. mag.
And yes lost all the oil out that tube.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:31 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Pics would help. The lines you are describing sound like the scavage pump suction lines, if I remember correctly there is a screen on the end of them in the sump, but I never had a reason to check one as it is soo course that it would only catch parts large enough to carry a part number.

As far as the sump drain, the other poster is mistaken if he thinks you can loose all your oil out of it. Carl Schmieder had one of his first valves lose the valve in flight, there was no oil loss until shut down. The scavage pump will keep the sump dry of oil as long as the engine is running.

When you dropped the screen, did you remove the poppet valve above the screen ? if so, did you replace the O-ring ? make sure it was seated correctly ?

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:01 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Matt, I wasn't talking about the sump drain, I said the lower cylinder drain. It is one of these (installed without proper paperwork) that caused the CAF's C-45 crash in Longmont, CO that we had a pretty long discussion over.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15956

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14476

http://dms.ntsb.gov/aviation/AccidentRe ... 120000.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:36 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

[quote="CAPFlyer"]Matt, I wasn't talking about the sump drain, I said the lower cylinder drain. It is one of these (installed without proper paperwork) that caused the CAF's C-45 crash in Longmont, CO that we had a pretty long discussion over.

and I commented on that thread. The valve design in that case required the pilots to close it after the can was removed, a poor design as most pilots are mechanically challenged and can barely operated a coffee maker without a checklist and someone to read it for them.

The Schmieder drain which I sold, took the oil that drained into the sump from the crankcase and rocker covers and drained it into a recovery tank. In the case of the 985, the sump design is different than the sump of the 1340.

In the case of the original poster, even if the drain valve was removed, it would not allow the entire 10 gallons of oil to drain out, only residual oil, at most a gallon.

The breather line for the 1340 is on the top of the case between either the #9 and #1 or #2 and #1 cylinders. If he suffered a blower seal failure, he would know it as he would now have a smoke system by Pratt and Whitney. It sounds like he removed a suction line that goes to the pump and did not install it correctly, it also sounds like he has very little experience working on a 1340 and should be working with someone who has the experience.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:05 pm 

BadBoy, did you find the cause of your leak?

Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. “

– Michael Crichton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:41 am 

I'm currently dealing with a very similar issue on a Harvard. My sources are mostly per discussions with Aero engines, and some common sense.
Here are the first few things I would look at:
#1: Check your plumbing of the oil system. Sometimes a vet line to/from the oil tank is clogged, tapped off, or missing.
#2: Air- oil separator may be clogged. Pull it out, clean it out.
#3: Is the breather line tapped into the case at the appropriate spot at the accessory case?
#4: Compression check! If the compression is low, and it's blowing by the rings, you'll be putting the excess pressure right to the case. I found the #6 cylinder first at the mid-sixties, then it quickly deteriorated (in one flight) to 56/80. I pulled the cylinder and found that the end gaps 4 of the piston rings were lined up! This was either the rare "ring migration", or it was assembled that way from the overhaul shop. I'm new to the airplane, and it just got out of an engine re-build, so I guess I'll never know.
#5: When did the oil vent start spewing oil? What was changed?
#6: I think this has already been mentioned, but check for the o-ring at the top of the oil suction screen.

Hope this helps!