Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:03 pm 

Gents,

Trying to clarify confusion regards SNJ / T-6 aileron deflection angles as described in the TCDS - both for "stock" installation and for aileron circuit modified i.a.w. N.A. dwg. 88-05016. Can anybody provide clarification, including whether or not this addresses the "high throw" aileron mod - or is that something completely different?

Thanks in advance for any information or guidance.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:40 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The difference is that the stock ailerons have the same throw both up and down, the high rates have more up than down travel.
To install high rate ailerons it is a parts change and log book entry to do. The parts are both bell cranks, outer aileron cable, aileron control rods. If you know what you are doing, you can do the conversion in a couple of hours.

I believe the reduced rate ailerons are the ones referred to in the drwg.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:43 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The chronological path of this as I understand this is that the SNJ-3 and some -4s along with the T-6C and some Ds had the early version of the Ailerons as did the rest of the earlier versions of the T-6 and SNJ family.
Up throw is 30 degrees, down 15. Rudder also has a higher movement of 35 degrees.
The later version of the aileron system cut the up throw to 15 degrees up and 14 down. Rudder throw was reduced to 30 degree max. Everything past the previously mentioned models up to the G model had the later system from the factory.
Harvard models I really don't know what they can with as time progressed.

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:47 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

51fixer wrote:
The chronological path of this as I understand this is that the SNJ-3 and some -4s along with the T-6C and some Ds had the early version of the Ailerons as did the rest of the earlier versions of the T-6 and SNJ family.
Up throw is 30 degrees, down 15. Rudder also has a higher movement of 35 degrees.
The later version of the aileron system cut the up throw to 15 degrees up and 14 down. Rudder throw was reduced to 30 degree max. Everything past the previously mentioned models up to the G model had the later system from the factory.
Harvard models I really don't know what they can with as time progressed.

Also the aileron trim tabs operated different from one version to the other.
The high throw used the trim tabs as boost tabs. They move opposite the control surface to assist moving the controls.
The later version the trim tabs were locked in position and remained stationary in relation to the aileron.

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!