Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:40 am 

Hi, I'm trying to track down details of what modifications are required to convert a T-6 frame where the structure is configured for the rear swivel seat to allow it to accept the fixed style of non-swivelling seat. Are there any portions of the swivel seat tubular mount structure that have to be removed?

Many thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:50 am 

No modifications to the tubular are required, just the seat supports/mounting are different. If I get a chance I'll send you a picture of the rear support, there's not much to this conversion.

T-6/SNJ Hoarder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:38 am 

Thanks Jack. Details of the mounts would be very welcome, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:50 am 

I know I still owe you a roll of film but haven't been able to get to the airport. I'll be there all day tomorrow so expect some image packed emails in the near future.

T-6/SNJ Hoarder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:07 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Get a G Model Parts manual and order those specific P/N drawings from NASM. Better yet get the complete G model Prints from NASM.

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:03 pm 

Thanks Jack. Our frame is completed and we're taking stock of what's gone missing and deciding how to do the rear cockpit. We don't have the original swivel seat, but we do have a bucket seat and that's the way I'd like to go, so it's good to hear we don't have to cut or tamper with the tubular frame in order to fit the seats.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:38 am 

I've attached the seat figure from the Lance catalog that shows the hardware for the fixed rear seat configuration. I quickly layed the parts together on my frame and the rails are too short. It seems Yak3 has the same issue, seat rails are too short. Is there a spacer missing for the bottom support, or what am I missing here?

Short seat rails

Chunks

T-6/SNJ Hoarder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:02 am 

The seat rails are different lengths for different applications / models.

For example, seat Rail (front cockpit) for a wooden seat:

58-53004-3 (early)
88-53090 (late)

I'm not at home, so I can't look at the drawings, but my guess is they are different lengths.

Metal seats: Seat Rail (front cockpit):

58-53004-5

Harvard IV:

Front seat rails: 66-53004
Rear seat rails: 66-53004

How long are those seat rails in the picture? I have some spare seat rails that are supposed
to be out of a T-6G and I can measure the length of those when I get home (later this evening).

Bela P. Havasreti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:19 am 

I'll measure them next time I'm at the hangar. I'm sure they are just the wrong ones, but the story goes that they are what was installed on this particular airplane. thought it was worth asking.

I need to purchase front seat rails, so the last time I was at THE local distributor they had a variety of lengths, and couldn't really tell me which were for what configuration. I measured what I wanted out of another aircraft but have not returned to purchase them yet. If anyone has forward rails available I would love the opportunity to purchase. I wrote it down somewhere, they were 51 or 52"? Guess I'll have to remeasure...

Chunks

T-6/SNJ Hoarder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:47 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Chunks wrote:
I'll measure them next time I'm at the hangar. I'm sure they are just the wrong ones, but the story goes that they are what was installed on this particular airplane. thought it was worth asking.

I need to purchase front seat rails, so the last time I was at THE local distributor they had a variety of lengths, and couldn't really tell me which were for what configuration. I measured what I wanted out of another aircraft but have not returned to purchase them yet. If anyone has forward rails available I would love the opportunity to purchase. I wrote it down somewhere, they were 51 or 52"? Guess I'll have to remeasure...

Chunks

I don't know how much it matters but the bottom chunk would be a bit aft of that position.

T-6G IPC shows the rear seat assy as 168-53002-3.
The vertical tubes are 168-53019-1 L and 168-53019-2 R as listed for the 168-53002-3 seat assy. There is a cross brace over top from tube to tube 168-53011-10 with 2 pulleys for the shock cord seat adjuster cord.

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:17 pm 

Took longer than I had hoped (got too much going on!) but the spare (represented
as being T6-G seat rails) I have on hand are 46-5/8" long.

Bela P. Havasreti