Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:00 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Asbestos abatement can be a funny and capricious thing.
In late eighties it was discovered that there was asbestos in the dome of Lambert International's(STL) main terminal. They built a massive and expensive structure inside the terminal - basically a whole second floor with negative pressure ventilation and seals and such - to keep the operation open during the process of scraping the dome by hand.
After the massive operation it was determined that there never had been any real chance of exposure, and that a good coat of paint would have been sufficient to seal things up until such time as they demolished the whole building.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:43 pm 

Came to the shop today to find my friend Craig Robinson has finished up the propeller for me. After working out nicks and resurfacing the entire prop, this week, he painted the tips, applied the HS decals, painted the backsides flat black and even stenciled on the prop data. When Craig isn't restoring cars or helping us out here at the Chanute Air Museum, he takes time out to fly Mustangs and T-6's. (Lucky Guy!!) Thanks Craig!
Image Image Image

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG
To Restore And Preserve Our National Aviation Heritage

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:57 pm 

Blatantly tooting my own horn here as a new NATA member and 1st time article writer in this quarter's Skylines magazine. Trying to promote volunteerism at aviation museums, many of which are in need of help just to survive. Volunteering has been fun and very satisfying, working on planes older than me, to bring alive history for younger generations.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:02 pm 

Had a short time at the museum this Sunday, and after painting the anti-glare panels on the ring cowlings, I took a shot at re-installing them. The top two sections went together with just a little work, but the bottom doesn't seem to line up at all. A closer look reveals the sections need to be pulled down onto the rails more tightly and the bottom section needs extra support to pull it up into position. No doubt these parts are sprung, and I'll need a hand from my buddy Curt to get these back on. Following advice here, a couple of adjustable tie down straps should help pull everything together. Any advice is welcomed!
Image Image Image

Planning ahead a little.... Does anyone have a diagram or good photo of how the antenna wire is connected to the top of the antenna mast, or know where to find instructions for tying/winding to the mast? I have the tension spring and insulator for the aft connector and insulator for the front fuselage.

Thanks

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:11 pm 

Got a full Saturday this week and finally got the ring cowling back on after some modification and repair, and the help of my buddy Curt. With the prop and cowling done, I could at last install the propeller governor given to me by Brandon (BDK) last year. After repainting, creating a base, bellcrank & rod assembly, it has been stored away until today. Thanks BDK!
Image Image Image
On a roll, so I installed the upper 3 engine compartment cowlings to hide the empty compartment. I still need to install the oil cooler scoop and LG fairings.
Image Image
With the remaining time, I removed the rear cockpit fixed and sliding canopies and put them in the shop for repair and repaint.
Image Image
Next up on the list is the removal of the left side fuse panel and paint prep of the fuselage.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:00 pm 

A productive day, finally managing to remove the fixed center canopy section as well as the left side fuselage panel. The three canopy sections are now in the shop for repair and repaint. The fuselage panel needs a bit of repair and removal of the old buzz number and stenciling. With the fuse panel off, I can begin repair of the control shelf. Main focus will be getting the fuse ready for new paint.
Image Image Image

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:01 pm 

No pictures this weekend. Spent the day removing and reinstalling blind nuts that had to be drilled out for the fuse side panel removal. Not the most exciting day at the shop.
Will forge ahead next weekend. Stay tuned.....

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:39 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

You're doing a great job Norm! Do you have any help or is this a one man show?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:42 pm 

Hi BDK,

My friend Curt, who did most of the wrenching on the Mustang restoration is working on a TB-25N Mitchell, and is usually around to lend an occasional hand, but I'm mostly a one man show. Fortunately, there's not much heavy lifting involved on the T-6.
Our friend, Craig Robinson has been helping, too, reshaping and refinishing the propeller for me. When he's not restoring vintage cars, he takes the occasional spin in Butch Schroeder's F-6D (Recon P-51D). Lucky Guy!

BTW, the prop governor looks great on the front of the engine. Thanks so much! :drink3:

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:46 pm 

More demolition on the T-6 as I spent the day removing the Harvard Mk4 cockpit finishing strips. These will be replaced by shop fabricated units for the AT-6D cockpit layout I'm doing. Interesting find was that beneath the Green Chromate was Flat Black painted over a sort of "Mint" Green original paint. I'd seen this on the fuse side panel attachment rail last week but didn't think too much of it. Is that color significant in way?
This T-6 has an identity issue, as I've come to realize, and the aircraft data plates don't do a lot to help. The USAAC data tag reports the plane as AT-6B Ser. No. 41-17372, but the NAA Data Plate shows Ser. No. 84-7750. (The NMUSAF has the plane recorded as 41-17372)

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:43 pm 

Mustanger55 wrote:
This T-6 has an identity issue, as I've come to realize, and the aircraft data plates don't do a lot to help. The USAAC data tag reports the plane as AT-6B Ser. No. 41-17372, but the NAA Data Plate shows Ser. No. 84-7750. (The NMUSAF has the plane recorded as 41-17372)

84-7750 is the NAA construction number, whereas 41-17372 is the USAAF serial number. Both are correct for the airframe.
The '84-****' refers to the NA-84 model, which was the AT-6B.

For example, CHAA's Yale has had two different serial numbers over the years, but kept the same construction number.
Originally she was 'NAA-64 P2 No 128' with the French Armée de l'Air and then became 3399 when joining the RCAF, but still remained c/n 64-2160.

:partyman:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:19 pm 

Thanks for the explanation! That clears up that little mystery. :) I guess I should have remembered that from the Mustang.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:23 am 

This also applies to some extend to the parts used on the plane. Our T-6G has a 168 construction number, and many T-6G typical Parts start as well with a 168- Number. However, we also have many parts that start with a 88- or 84- which show that some Parts were taken over from previos T6 Modells.

Stefan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:06 pm 

Hi Deleq,
I too discovered that while redoing the T-6G Index into Excel format. The AT-6 history just confuses matters when it comes to part numbers. With NAA rebuilding some early SNJs and T-6s first to AT-6D standards and later rebuilding even more to T-6Gs, often giving them new serial numbers, it seems nearly impossible to determine some planes' real identity.

The one I'm working on spent some 40+ years in civilian hands. It is registered with the USAF & NMUSAF as AT-6B Ser. No. 41-17372.
It has a tail section from a Harvard Mk2 or 2A and a steel frame from a CC&F built RCAF Harvard Mk4. The cockpit trim strips (shown previously) are also Harvard Mk4, as I suspect the fuselage frame to be.
The outer wings have no provisions for guns or gun camera (AT-6B should have them), and the wing center section has several 88-part numbers (T-6C & later). It does have the firewall cutout for the fixed fuselage gun as well as the gun cowlings.
In the cockpit, the instrument panels and electrical panels appear to be AT-6D, and at least the right side fuselage panel appears to be from a T-6G.
My best guess is someone cobbled this plane together and slapped an available NAA & USAAF Data Plate set on it. I learned that, at one point, the FAA classed Harvard's as Experimental, which in turn meant they could not carry passengers for hire in the US. (Important distinction if owned in the US and the owner wanted to make a buck on rides or flight training.)

Fortunately, the true identity of this aircraft is irrelevant to my restoration effort, as it will remain identified as an AT-6B, but will sport an AT-6D cockpit layout. Still, it would be nice to track down where the plane started and what & when mods were made to reach it's present state.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:32 pm 

Pulled the control shelf today after realizing some of the repairs I need to do would be nearly impossible to do in the plane. Suffered a few scrapes and had to drill out a couple of screws, but finally managed to get the shelf out of the plane. After a repaint, it will get new flap and LG pointers and all of the handles and trim controls repainted and detailed.
Image Image

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next