Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:38 pm 

Finished up the basic repaint of the windscreen assembly this weekend. The instrument panel shroud was in pretty rough shape, so I used a fine sand textured black paint that helps hide a lot of the imperfections. The upper window frame was then painted in a finish silver coat to resemble bare aluminum. Later, I'll fabricate the gun sight reflector brackets and make the glass from 1/4" Plexiglas to be installed on the shroud.

I finished up repainting the instrument flying hood latch that mounts on the instrument shroud, and also pulled the canopy release mechanism from the front sliding canopy and cleaned and repainted it as well. The latch will be reinstalled, even though none of the instrument hood hardware remains in the cockpit.

Images Removed

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG
To Restore And Preserve Our National Aviation Heritage

Last edited by Mustanger55 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:55 am 

Once again, weather and other issues kept me away from the museum this weekend, but background work and research continues. Main focus at this time is the acquisition of radio and intercom components, instruments and other cockpit parts.
To date, three of the four radios are on the way as well as a couple of vintage microphones. Several other components are, or will be ordered soon. The T-6 came with instrument and electrical panels for the T-6D, so I am working to finish out the cockpit equipment to match the D model. It's been a challenge, but I've been very lucky to have located most of the major components already.
I am still trying to locate a few items to complete the radio/intercom package. I am interested in buying these at reasonable prices or will accept as a donation. Bear in mind these need not be functional and will be installed for appearance only. If you have one of the parts below that you would like to sell or donate, email me at at6b@comcast.net

images removed

Will consider these even if in somewhat rough condition, or if internal parts are missing/damaged.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

Last edited by Mustanger55 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:26 am 

Last Saturday, Feb. 8 saw the first few bits of radio equipment arrive to fill out the AT-6 cockpit including BC-433 and BC-454 receivers, BC-357-M receiver, BC-442-A Antenna relay and a couple of T-17 microphones. The first two receivers will have their front panels restored to original appearance and both will get new black wrinkle finish paint. The rest will get a good cleaning before installation. More radio gear will be arriving in the next week or two, and I'm still trying to find the items shown in my last update.

Images Removed

Mindful that I should, at least, get some work done, I sanded and prepped the upper intermediate cowling and painted it in the matte anti-glare green. Turning to the front sliding canopy, the outer surfaces of the emergency release panel posts were stripped down to the stainless steel finish and will be lightly polished and clear coated. The exterior frame has been sanded smooth and will be primed and painted silver. The rollers seem to be in good shape but I'll give them a closer inspection and a good cleaning and lube to insure they'll work smoothly.

Images Removed

P.S. All of you T-6/SNJ/Harvard/Wirraway owners and operators. PLEASE send me pictures of your planes, (with or without you in the frame) that I can post on my web site Gallery page. Projects in rebuild count as well. Include plane particulars, caption and photo credit info. I want to show off as many of these beautiful planes as I can. Look Here http://p51h.home.comcast.net/~p51h/at6b ... allery.htm

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

Last edited by Mustanger55 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:00 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Coming along nicely!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:52 am 

EDITED 02-16-1

Due to server issues, I was unable to link up photos from my web site last night. So, I'm adding them today. I'm well on the way to completing acquisition of all the necessary T-6D radio gear. Just received the BC-496-A Radio Control Box, and BC-457-A Command Radio Transmitter today and only need the modulator (power supply) and the little BC-327 Interphone Switch Box and the collection will be complete except for shock mounts and wiring.
Images Removed

Worked on the front sliding canopy section today, removing and reconditioning the rollers and replacing worn hardware. The rollers and bushings are in surprisingly good shape. After some minor repair, the inside canopy frame was shot with flat black. The emergency release handles and placards have yet to be painted. Those and the exterior frame's silver paint should be completed next visit.
Images Removed

Weatherman says we will be in the 50 degree range by next weekend and am looking forward to getting back out to the hanger, hopefully to pull the rear fixed and sliding canopies to bring into the shop for rework.

Thanks for the kind words Fouga23! I'm having a lot of fun working on the T-6.

I'm repeating myself, but sure would like to get photos of your guys' T-6/SNJ/Harvard/Wirraway to post on my gallery page.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

Last edited by Mustanger55 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:59 pm 

Finished up the exterior paint on the front sliding canopy, leaving the center posts in their stainless steel finish. Then stripped and repainted the emergency release handles and warning placards before reinstalling the canopy latch handle assembly and the refurbished rollers. For now, the canopy goes on the shelf until the front cockpit restoration is complete.
Images Removed

I'm official :-D Received my NATA member packet this weekend.

See More at http://p51h.home.comcast.net/~p51h/index.htm

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

Last edited by Mustanger55 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:17 pm 

More goodies to play with this week. Got my first Lance order including radio shelf with brackets, flap and landing gear position indicators and mast antenna. All of these were obviously new-old stock with the antenna mast still in it's original NAA box dated August 25th, 1954. The metal parts were all stripped and bead blasted before getting two coats of fresh zinc chromate. Thanks Lance Aircraft!

Image Image
Image Image

Also received this week was the BC-451 radio control box. It will need some touch up but will look great once redone. A bit more effort is required for the BC-465 receiver which arrived painted dark blue. It required stripping and will get a black wrinkle finish all over. Here, the face has it's new paint and although not fully cured, is showing a nice finish.

Image Image

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:21 pm 

Just a short update, with refurbishment of radio equipment the order of the day. The BC-451-A radio control box got some touchups to cover a lot of nicks and scratches. Once the knobs are repainted it will be ready to go. Also finished the black wrinkle paint on the BC-465 receiver. The wrinkle finish can take 2 to four hours to cure.
Image Image

EDIT: 03-09-14
Thanks to Monty in Australia, I've added the Numerical Index of engineering drawings for the CA-1 Wirraway in Excel format to the resource page on my web site. Find it at http://p51h.home.comcast.net/~p51h/at6b ... ources.htm
Does anyone out there know a source for the actual engineering drawings for the CA-1?

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:19 am 

Not a lot to show for today's visit. Did some various touchups on several radio components and applied a new coat of black wrinkle finish on the second receiver for the T-6. Spent the rest of the day beginning the long process of cataloging some of the Museum's stock of non-T-6 spare and used parts that will end up on the Trade-Sale page linked from my web site and eventually on the WIX Parts Forum.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:50 pm 

No Photos this week, but managed to get several of the front cowling parts sanded and primed as well as some miscellaneous parts. Spent some time scrounging parts for sale/trade and added some old-used T-6 Brake Assemblies and a set of T-6 Fuel Gauge light fixtures to my page at http://p51h.home.comcast.net/~p51h/at6b/sale/sale.htm

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:59 pm 

Not a lot to see as of late, as I've been busy repairing, sanding and priming cowling parts. I still need to decide on which silver paint I want to use. I used a bright silver base and clear gloss coat on the Mustang, but it was a lot of extra work. I'm looking for something easier to replicate an aluminum finish. The main airframe will have to be painted on the hanger floor in sections because of time limitations. Any suggestions are welcomed.

In the meantime, panels are piling up in storage until I have paint in hand. The last parts to prep are the ring cowlings which will eventually end up painted red.

Image Image

Cheers!

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:08 pm 

I've just posted a copy of the NAA T-6G NUMERICAL DRAWING INDEX on my RESOURCE page at http://p51h.home.comcast.net/~p51h/at6b ... ources.htm

This index is in Excel format for easy sorting and searching, but does not include Standard Parts, Specifications or Special Tools.
The Zip file contains 3 copies of the index. ORIGINAL is in the format that the index appears on the original printed pages that I retyped and is Read-Only format to prevent changes. SORTED has been resorted by the 5 or 6 digit part number regardless of the prefix (charge number) and is also a Read-Only file. The SORTABLE file is the same as the Sorted file but is NOT Read-Only and can be changed to suit your needs.

If you find this index useful, please consider a small donation to my project

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:33 pm 

Looking for a little help finding a Map-Data Case (88-53247 88-53047) or parts of one I can use to rebuild. Lance has them but the price is a little steep for my project's pocketbook.
I could probably build a decent facsimile, but the rolled edges on the door might be a real chore for my meager skills.

ANY help appreciated. at6b@comcast.net

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:33 pm 

Project has come to a bit of a standstill, as the Museum was suddenly closed ten days ago for air quality testing. The Museum is housed in a 1930's vintage hanger and training building on the old Chanute Air Force Base, and there was evidently a concern about asbestos floating about in the air.
Late this last week, the museum was given the all clear on air quality, but remains closed for and indefinite period of time for asbestos abatement.
So, for the time being I'll have to be satisfied with continuing research on the computer. I'm currently working on a set of NAA Drawings in .TIF format, renaming files for easy access.
Anyone got a .PDF or digital image copy of another index they care to share? I've done the SNJ 3,4,5&6, CA-1 Wirraway, and T-6G Texan, all in Excel format. Would like to add a Harvard and USAAC Texan index to the collection, and publish them for all to use.

:cry:

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:49 pm 

After two weekends away from the shop, the Museum re-opened after it was determined there was no health hazard in our part of the building. It was good to be back to work on the Texan after the forced hiatus, and after catching up with friends Curt and Rol, I finally had time to paint the rear cowling panels and lower scoop with matte silver. Craig Robinson will return to work on the propeller soon and when he is finished, the ring cowling and rear panels will be reinstalled, along with the windscreen and prop governor donated by BDK.
Image Image

Next visit, plans are to remove the rear fixed and sliding canopies, and if time allows, begin the chore of removing the left side fuselage panel to gain access to the controls shelf for much needed repairs. With warmer weather finally returning, it will be great to work in the hanger again. :D

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next